Family celebrates boy's return home

More than a month after the start of the search that led authorities to Mexico City, a happy Lois Brown returned to her Evans home Sunday with her 14-month-old son.

Back | Next
Lois Brown holds her son Ezekiel "Zeke" Brown after arriving at their home from Mexico City.  Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff

"Our family is complete again," she said.

It was Jan. 31 when authorities say her son Ezekiel "Zeke" Brown was picked up by his father, William Brown, at an Evans day care. Authorities say Mr. Brown took his son to Mexico City, where he was arrested Thursday night. Mr. Brown was transported to Columbia County on Friday on a felony custody interference charge.

Mrs. Brown was reunited with her son in Mexico City hours after Thursday's arrest, and on Sunday she drove back home with her son and her mother. They arrived home in the car that officials say her estranged husband abandoned weeks ago near San Antonio.

Mrs. Brown went to Mexico on Feb. 26 after officials with the U.S. marshals told her they were close to making an arrest. On Thursday, officials say, they spotted Mr. Brown at a home owned by relatives of an acquaintance.

Mrs. Brown said she got a call telling her that an arrest had been made and her son had been found.

After filling out a long list of paperwork, she was reunited with Zeke at an immigration center, she said.

"I just ran up to him and grabbed him and starting kissing him,'' she said. "He was so happy to see me."

Mrs. Brown said she was told that a 21-year-old Mexican woman had been caring for Zeke while Mr. Brown, a former golf pro, was looking for a job at a golf course in the Mexico City area.

On Sunday, Mrs. Brown said she was excited to reunite Zeke with his 6-year-old brother, Harper.

"I can't wait to see the two of them together," she said. "He misses his brother."

Mrs. Brown said Zeke had a bad diaper rash when he was found and that he seemed a little skinnier. She said she would be taking him for a doctor's checkup today.

She also said she would seek a restraining order against her husband.

Mrs. Brown said she wanted to thank all the authorities who helped return Zeke to her, including Tom Smith of the U.S. Marshals Office in San Antonio.

"He's my angel," she said of Mr. Smith.

Just me 2
Just me 2 03/05/07 - 07:08 am
such wonderufl news!! thank

such wonderufl news!! thank you lord for helping this family.

truthbknown
truthbknown 03/05/07 - 09:21 am
YEAH!!! This put the biggest

YEAH!!! This put the biggest smile on my face when I heard ...
I know his Mom has a bigger one!!! I'm so glad they are back together...

just me
just me 03/05/07 - 09:26 am
This was a blessing I am so

This was a blessing I am so happy to hear she has her son back.

mgray
mgray 03/05/07 - 09:39 am

Thank you Lord, for answered prayers. God Bless you Lois, and your sweet boys.

concerned4lb
concerned4lb 03/05/07 - 01:32 pm
I am soo happy that you have

I am soo happy that you have been reunited with Zeke, lb.

Dan4th
Dan4th 03/05/07 - 02:00 pm
yeah....lets all be glad the

yeah....lets all be glad the dad did not get the son, that would be a truly traumatic thing....seems funny to think that you have to kidnap your on child to get to see him...but i'll bet she chomps at the bit to get that support money....typical "justice: for fathers...

gojester
gojester 03/05/07 - 03:06 pm
I know the father personally

I know the father personally and he is a stand up human being. There are two sides to every story and we are only hearing one side. The father made a mistake, but please, seek the complete truth in this situation.

Dblocs
Dblocs 03/05/07 - 03:53 pm
The father should of went

The father should of went about things the right way, not by kidnapping his own child. Now I'm sure the possibility of some kind of agreement will never happen. I am so glad that this family is together again. God bless you all.

junkkked
junkkked 03/05/07 - 05:01 pm
n/a

mable8
mable8 03/05/07 - 06:55 pm
I am very happy for the Brown

I am very happy for the Brown family; having the little tyke returned to his mother is wonderful news. As for you, madison, if the child's father had gone to the courts to readdress the problems he felt existed in terms of visitation, then he would not be in the predicament he is now in. You don't kidnap a child, even if it is your own; what you do is follow the law. He is where he belongs; let the courts decide what will transpire. Dad's do receive justice, but there is a proper way to attain it. If the support payments were too high, all he had to do was petition the court for a rehearing. Just remember, the end never justifies the means.

SCDAD
SCDAD 03/06/07 - 12:44 pm
This story has been one-sided

This story has been one-sided from day 1. The Mom took the child from the home when they split up in late 2006 and didn't allow the Dad to see him for over 4 weeks! The Dad was going crazy not having contact w/ his son. What Will did was wrong and desperate. It was against the law. It wasn't good for anyone. BUT, it would NOT have happened if the Mom hadn't taken the son and hidden him from the Dad for over 1 month. This child has been used by both parents to hurt the other. Very sad, but the blame doesn't lie entirely on the Dad like everyone wants to believe. I know Will from the River Club and he's no saint. He had a spinal tumor and thought he would die last year. Then his wife takes his kid and refuses to let him see him for over 1 month! Will was worried his child wouldn't even recognize or remember him. He made bad decisions, yes. This would have driven most any Dad crazy. Will did the wrong thing, he broke the law. Funny how it wasn't against the law for the Mom to take the child from the Dad. Why? because she stayed in Georgia and didn't leave the country. It accomplished the same thing though by not allowing a parent to see their own child. This is a sad story.

loismbrown
loismbrown 03/08/07 - 11:03 am
You must get your story

You must get your story correct, SCDAD! I NEVER kept my baby from Will Brown, but I will now, for as long as I can. His entire marriage to me was a lie! He was a drug user, a liar, a theif! Hes been in jail for over a month before, so he is new to this. He is an abuser and is where he belongs. Im sure he told many of you lies. I will fight as hard as i can to keep that horrible devil away from my sweet baby.

loismbrown
loismbrown 03/08/07 - 11:16 am
I also want to add that since

I also want to add that since our divorce is not finall, he hasn't been ordered to pay me one dime!! In fact, Zeke was going to day care less than a mile from our home and who do you think paid for that? ME! Also, Will brown did not have a spinal tumor and there was a slim to none chance of a fatality with his surgery.

SCDAD
SCDAD 03/10/07 - 06:58 pm
I do have the story correct,

I do have the story correct, more than I'm letting on. It's all coming out soon. Think I'll just sit back and watch it all unfold.