1946 lynching case reopened

ATLANTA - Members of a civil rights group that has pushed for years to reopen investigations into the decades-old lynching at Moore's Ford Bridge near Monroe said Friday they are pleased that the U.S. Department of Justice has decided to take another look.

"You just feel like the rule of law is going to prevail," said state Rep. Tyrone Brooks, D-Atlanta and the president of the Georgia Association of Black Elected Officials.

The group has pushed since at least 1998 for new investigations into killings of two black couples - George and Mae Murray Dorsey and Roger and Dorothy Malcom - in the summer of 1946.

Mr. Brooks said his group has been aware for more than a year that the FBI was looking into the Moore's Ford case again but kept quiet to avoid interfering.

But at a news conference Tuesday, U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and FBI Director Robert Mueller announced the Justice Department was reopening investigations of some civil rights-era killings, including Moore's Ford.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation reopened its investigation several years ago on the orders of then-Gov. Roy Barnes.

Mr. Brooks said local activists have kept up with at least five living suspects named in the original FBI report after the killings.

Mr. Brooks' group and local organizations have also been talking to witnesses who have come forward in recent years.

"We're going to be making an appeal to the suspects to turn themselves in and avoid a long ordeal," Mr. Brooks said. "If we know of five, obviously the law enforcement community could know of many more than we do."

Mr. Brooks also said the group is working to boost its reward fund for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those guilty of the murders, currently at $27,000, to $100,000.

The black officials' association also announced its annual April 4 commemoration of the lynchings to coincide with the anniversary of the assassination of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and its July 25 re-enactment of the killings.

Mr. Brooks said one of the living suspects usually drives his pickup across the bridge during the re-enactments.

Reach Brandon Larrabee at (678) 977-3709 or brandon.larrabee@morris.com.

HAVE INFORMATION?

The Georgia Association of Black Elected Officials is asking witnesses or those who have information about the 1946 lynchings at Moore's Ford Bridge to come forward.

The association can be reached by phone at (404) 656-6372 and (404) 372-1894, or through its Web site, www.gabeo.org.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 03/03/07 - 04:13 am
I don't quite understand this

I don't quite understand this situation. State Rep. Brooks and his group wish to prosecute a case from 1946? That's sixty-one years ago. And this group wants to hold some suspects accountable? The suspects must be eighty or ninety years old. The eye witnesses must be pretty old too. What's to be accomplished with this effort? If a trial is initiated, a few people will be impressed, for whatever reason, and a few people will be offended, for whatever reason, but the vast majority of people will never know it took place. A lot of tax money will be spent, that's the job of representives, but what else will be accomplished? We already know that the era was horrible. We have many examples, with clear documentation, to represent the problems with civil rights in this era and many laws to correct these problems since. It seems the GBI and Rep. Brooks don't have enough to do.

PoliticallyNcorrect
PoliticallyNcorrect 03/03/07 - 06:33 am
Well it is the right thing to

Well it is the right thing to do...but let's look for a motive on Rep. Brook's part??? ! Do you realize how popular this will make him with the black voters??? You can not buy this kind of publicity, it's a once in a lifetime chance of fame amoung his peers, fortune, power & a GARANTEED BRIGHTER FUTURE in politics. I CAN EVEN SEE A HOLLYBOOK BOOK & MOVIE DEAL...WHO DO YOU THINK Rep. Brooks will want to portray his part??? Depending on his age I would sugest Morgan Freeman or Denzel Wasington ! OH I AM SORRY YOU CAN BUY THIS KIND OF PUBLICITY BUT REP. BROOKS WILL PURCHASE IT WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS...GOD BLESS AMERICA...LAND OF OPPORTUNITY ): ESPECIALITY IF YOU ARE IN POLITICS !!!!!!!!!!

asoldier
asoldier 03/03/07 - 07:56 am
It is never to late for

It is never to late for justice to be served. Some of the suspects are still living and should be brought to justice. You can bet your bottom dollar that it matters to the families of the two couples who were brutally murdered for no reason other than they were black. I don't care what Rep. Brook’s motives are. If it brings about justice for the victims and closure for the families and the community IT IS WORTH IT!

jaschild
jaschild 03/03/07 - 07:57 am
Who is the president of the

Who is the president of the Georgia Association of White Elected Officials? Just kidding - I know that a group with membership determined by race rather than quality would be a ridiculous example of blatant discrimination. The media would never stand for something like that; it'd be hypocritical to allow such nonsense to even be printed. I mean, could you IMAGINE the uproar that would occur if a newspaper printed a story that mentioned the existence of a racist organization made up of elected officials? Wait.....

eschamb
eschamb 03/03/07 - 07:58 am
I have not heard anything

I have not heard anything about the Cherokee Nation voting to expell their "black" members. This involves anyone that is a Cherokee citizen that has black ancestory.

WISE-OLE-OWL
WISE-OLE-OWL 03/03/07 - 08:43 am
Mr. Brooks said one of the

"He drives across real slow and he'll look at us, and we'll look back," Mr. Brooks said. SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF FUN! DO YOU EVER WAVE AT HIM? DOES HE EVER WAVE AT YOU?

intheknow
intheknow 03/03/07 - 08:58 am
Why am I not surprised by

Why am I not surprised by Patricia Thomas remarks. It goes hand and hand with all her other comments. Why investigate any murders? We can just tell the killers if you can just avoid capture for a few years then we will let you off. Oh by the way if you are 70 years or older we will let you have the first 3 murders without even investigating it.

asoldier
asoldier 03/03/07 - 09:01 am
What's "FUN" or funny about

What's "FUN" or funny about the suspect driving across the bridge during the re-enactment. He is mocking them and laughing in the face of justice. I say get him and fry his butt if he is guilty.

juantez
juantez 03/03/07 - 09:21 am
It never to late for justice,

It never to late for justice, I bet if someone killed your love ones over fifty years ago and no one paid for it, and there is someone trying to bring justice too you and your family it would be all good then and you would be singing a different tune. Say what you want but there is more people behind this then Mr. Brooks, so I guess the way some of you folks think Ex Gov. Roy Barnes,U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, FBI Director Robert Mueller ,all of them have some unlined motives for reopening this case. People This is America no one is above the law.

Reality
Reality 03/03/07 - 09:46 am
Justice is justice, no matter

Justice is justice, no matter how long it takes. I don't think it will accomplish much at this late date but the family may have some closure if it is solved.

Curlie56
Curlie56 03/03/07 - 09:52 am
Perhaps Patricia Thomas needs

Perhaps Patricia Thomas needs to put herself in the place of the living family members of the people who were lynched. Would she want justice had it been her people? We will never know..it will depend on her "up-bringing,"as the older generation calls it.If anyone has noticed, they have been reopening several of those cases and prosecuting the ones involved, for the last 6-7 years. It's the bible fulfilling it's message. It's never to late to get justice for all the injustices done then and now. Great post asoldier and juantez.

intheknow
intheknow 03/03/07 - 10:01 am
I am glad that some of you

I am glad that some of you ignorant azz (sic) think that its something funny about this matter. First of all Rep. Brooks is already well liked by the voters of his district. By the way do anyone every ask the family of Holocaust victims why they care?

gnx
gnx 03/03/07 - 10:59 am
So what if someone is trying

So what if someone is trying to further their political career - murders were committed and it's only right that the families have closure. If those responsible for the murders are still alive then they should be brought to justice and pay the price regardless of their age or health. They've had all these years to enjoy life while the lives of four people were brutally cut short.

Curlie56
Curlie56 03/03/07 - 11:28 am
AMEN gnx....Sometimes I

AMEN gnx....Sometimes I believe the younger "black generation" is under the impression that they are able to achieve their goals today solely because of their own efforts. NO, wrong answer! Youngsters, you are able to achieve because my generation and the generations before me fought the battles for you. We or our ancestors were either lynched,beaten, mistreated,denied access to the best schools, books, and the list is endless. All this generation has to do today in walk in. In THE DAY, you couldn't even walk in! So, I said this to make the point that you should never take what happened back then for granted,or as something that should be gotten over! Sure life still goes on, and you have to live on, but you can't forget where you have been, when where you have been was so traumatic to your life! Sit down young people and talk to some real old senior citizens, allowing them to tell you how they struggled so you "black child" could be allowed to read a book without being killed if you were caught! Deny it or accept it...the history is there, and it will not change because you refuse to honor the fact that it did happen!Go on with life, but there was a struggle first for your life!

concernednative
concernednative 03/03/07 - 12:16 pm
I am now more than ever

I am now more than ever convinced that Patricia should be banned. That is probably the most stupid post in the history of blogs. What good is it to convict people that lynched people? What an insane question. How about because it's murder and there are no statutes of limitations. You are Hannity/Limbaugh disciple that hides your racism under the cloak of conservatism. Not all conservatives are like that but some try to hide under the umbrella.

mgroothand
mgroothand 03/03/07 - 12:55 pm
If there are still people out

If there are still people out there that can finally be brought to justice, I say great!! However it will also be a perfect platform for the idignant-about-everything-Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to bask in that limelight. Lights, camera, action.

Curlie56
Curlie56 03/03/07 - 01:07 pm
Well, now, concernednative,

Well, now, concernednative, lets' just forgive her for being ignorant,and forgetting or just not knowing history.Eventhough if it happened yesterday, little ignorant one, you never ask the question,What's to be accomplished with this effort? You are talking about murder...the killing of 4 human beings! Perhaps Patricia Thomas was a sheltered child raised to believe that, that part of history was exaggerated by those who lived it then and those who still live some of it now!

mytwocents
mytwocents 03/03/07 - 08:02 pm
Let's not forget Dorothy

Let's not forget Dorothy Dorsey Malcom was reportedly 7 months pregnant when she was killed. I'm all for bringing those responsible to justice!

butterflygina
butterflygina 03/03/07 - 08:16 pm
I can't believe some of the

I can't believe some of the comments I've read today. It is never to late for justice. If someone killed my family member, i don't care if they were old and decrepit in the nursing home, if that is when they were arrested, so let it be! Too many people have gotten away with far too many crimes. Let's punish as many as possible. Whatever happened to them paying their debt to society.

crymeariver
crymeariver 03/03/07 - 09:04 pm
Hey if you are a black person

Hey if you are a black person and you read this, tell me if this would make you mad. I am a white man and I want to open a nightclub that only allows white people. I want to start an organization called the Georgia Association of white people. I want to sue the first black man that rearends my vehicle, claiming neck injuries, yet there isnt a scratch on my car. I want my daughter to move into the projects, have at least 5 babies from 5 different men, and live there for at least 20 years and be proud of it. I want to get on welfare, collect free insurance, and assume that I am now disabled because I played poker so late my back isnt straight. Protect the druggies from the police when they are trying to arrest them for making you safer. Listen to music so loudly that everyone within a 2 mile radius can hear my bass thumpin and play a david allen coe song so loudly that anyone sitting beside me at a redlight can hear how much I hate black people. I will begin a white history month in support of 1 white man as famous as MLK and talk about him for 28 days straight. So if you are black and you read this. Understand this is what white people put up with daily, yet you say you arent equal!

asoldier
asoldier 03/03/07 - 10:18 pm
FED UP BIG TIME: I have never

FED UP BIG TIME: I have never heard such an ignorant bunch of crap in all my life. 1. What does it have to do with the topic at hand? NOTHING. 2. You are a very sick very prejudiced individual who really should seek mental health treatment before you hurt someone. My only prayer is that you do not have kids to pass your RACEIST NEO-NAZI views onto. Please do the world a favor and go to the nearest doctor and get a vasectomy.

bone
bone 03/03/07 - 11:38 pm
Wow - FED UP might be trying

Wow - FED UP might be trying to set race relations back by a few decades. Asoldier has a good suggestion to prevent future hateful progeny, but in the meantime you might want to consider turnin' up your david allen coe loud enough to melt whatever is left of your racist brain so you can't write in again.

intheknow
intheknow 03/04/07 - 09:35 am
Sometimes you just have to

Sometimes you just have to let ignorant people just speak their, I would say minds but this person should just go ahead and seek a peaceful end to what must be a miserable life. Kids, I hope this nut does not have any family members that thinks like him. WHAT A WASTE OF AIR.

Missouri wins SEC East, knocks Georgia out of running

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Marcus Murphy scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 12-yard run with 4:38 remaining and Markus Golden recovered a fumble to seal No. 17 Missouri's 21-14 victory Friday against ...