Dashboard Confessional, Cheap Trick will perform

Organizers of the Rock Fore! Dough III concert, benefiting First Tee of Augusta, have announced that the co-headliners for this year's concert will be indie rock act Dashboard Confessional and arena rock legend Cheap Trick.

Singer-songwriter Corey Smith also will perform.

"We wanted to hit a couple of demographics," said Joe Stevenson, the show's promoter. "We wanted the nostalgia of Cheap Trick and a current act. We wanted to make it exciting for the young and old."

Organizers also plan to add a local act to the bill as a second opener.

Dashboard Confessional began life as an acoustic solo project for Florida musician Christopher Carrabba. After four releases, Dashboard Confessional has evolved into a full band with a devout following. Some fans have been known to shed tears at Mr. Carrabba's heartfelt musings. The band's latest release, Dusk and Summer, came out last summer.

Cheap Trick, formed in Rockford, Ill., in the early 1970s, combined power chord crunch, pop sensibility and pointed humor. Though the band's unique sound won a strong following overseas, it wasn't until cuts from the 1979 At Budokan live album, pressed as a Japan-only release, began getting radio play that the band took off in the United States. Best known for the hits I Want You To Want Me, Surrender and The Flame, the band continues to tour with its original line-up. It released the critically acclaimed Rockford last year.

Reach Steven Uhles at (706) 823-3626 or steven.uhles@augustachronicle.com.

If you go

What: Rock Fore! Dough III concert

When: 5:30 p.m. on April 3

Tickets: On sale Saturday at TicketAlternative.com, Kroger and First Tee of Augusta

ASU student
ASU student 02/26/07 - 03:27 am
what happened to Hootie my

what happened to Hootie my friends were looking forward to it this is gonna blow

JimCox
JimCox 02/26/07 - 08:35 am
Darius was hard to deal with,

Darius was hard to deal with, and took offense to the teasing he received for his infamous Burger King commercial.

WHAT7
WHAT7 02/26/07 - 09:18 am
I agree, what happened to

I agree, what happened to Hootie & the Blowfish?? They will be missed this year!!! It was fun to see John Daly perform with them. ROCK FORE DOUGH won't be the same without Hootie!!!!

BBSouth
BBSouth 02/26/07 - 09:47 am
Edwin McCain would be nice

Edwin McCain would be nice also, not to mention Josh Kelley...

MusicFan
MusicFan 02/26/07 - 10:57 am
While I agree that Hootie,

While I agree that Hootie, Edwin and Josh are all great artists - they've all also already played here before. I, for one, am excited to see some new bands playing in Augusta, and great bands at that. I can't wait to hear I Want You to Want Me Master Week!!!

waters
waters 02/26/07 - 11:29 am
How disappointing, no Hootie!

How disappointing, no Hootie! We were really looking forward to going, guess we will just have to sit this one out.

southernoffroad
southernoffroad 02/26/07 - 11:39 am
I am glad to see some new

I am glad to see some new blood flow through Augusta's Music veins. Wanting Hootie to come back would be typical Augusta being content in not allowing change. Augusta cries b/c we never have GOOD bands to watch thought the year, well... this is a good start. Get out, support the different and new and maybe one day we will have a strong enough presence to pull the bigger and more popular acts to little ol Augusta. I for one am excited to see Dashboard Confessionals, and Cheap Trick. But more so Corey Smith because a strong support for the little guy will eventually lead to the headliner club.

djm
djm 02/26/07 - 12:52 pm
How can you not be excited

How can you not be excited about Cheap Trick?!?!

foresthills
foresthills 02/26/07 - 02:54 pm
Some fans have been known to

Some fans have been known to shed tears at Mr. Carrabba's heartfelt musings. How sweet. They certainly must be good boys.

sarah71884
sarah71884 02/26/07 - 02:55 pm
i'm upset that hootie and the

i'm upset that hootie and the blowfish wont be there this year. but its nice to hear corey smith will be there!!

TruthJusticeFaithHope
TruthJusticeFaithHope 02/26/07 - 04:01 pm
This will be great. I will

This will be great. I will miss Hootie, but who knows, maybe they will make an appearance like John Daly did. Now that would be great. Dashboard and Cheap will be great. If the weather is decent, we will be talking about this for years to come.

Have fun and be safe.

coco rubio
coco rubio 02/26/07 - 04:59 pm
nice to see a different

nice to see a different lineup this year.....nothing against hootie, but this is a perfect chance to bring other national acts to augusta, if for no other reason, to be here during the masters.....i'm looking forward to this show on tuesday.....hopefully, the weather will be as nice as it's been the last 2 years.

gnx
gnx 02/26/07 - 06:33 pm
Sounds like it's going to be

Sounds like it's going to be a great concert this year. :)

CSRAresident
CSRAresident 02/26/07 - 11:40 pm
The Blowfish has joined the

The Blowfish has joined the ranks of the Swingin' Medallions by overstaying their welcome at Augusta functions. But at least with Hootie, you were getting the real thing and not an immitation like the other.

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 02/27/07 - 12:03 am
Can't wait!

Can't wait!

streetandtrail_girl
streetandtrail_girl 02/27/07 - 01:28 am
Sounds cool to me. Everybody

Sounds cool to me. Everybody needs to get over the blowfish not appearing and be glad that we are able to even attract ANY National ACT to this redneck town full of ingreats! Jeez Louise people get glad! We should welcome the acts and be THANKFUL!
By the way Cheap Trick has played the venue formerly known as the Augusta Civic Center. They played with REO Speedwagon in the 80s. REO Speedwagon? Funny isn't that the last National Act we were able to get at our Civic Center? I believe it is the last show I attended there. In 2002 or 2003.
Come on Augusta, lets welcome them so we can get more.

CSRAider
CSRAider 02/27/07 - 09:49 am
Old guys playing music. Cool!

Old guys playing music. Cool! Maybe I will Maybe I wont we will see!

aliciamarie88
aliciamarie88 02/27/07 - 10:41 am
I'm excited about the event.

I'm excited about the event. It's surprising that Dashboard agreed to come to Augusta, seems like we're scaring everybody else away. I guess Dashboard just really thought that maybe they should give us a chance. Hooray for Dashboard. Corey and Cheap Trick came back, maybe we aren't as bad as we thought.... Let's be thankful that we actually even have someone coming.

noturavgjo
noturavgjo 02/27/07 - 12:38 pm
I was so crushed when they

I was so crushed when they announced who would play and Hootie was not mentioned....I think I will stay home this year!

bblinkn182
bblinkn182 03/10/07 - 11:05 am
no hootie!! thank god this

no hootie!! thank god this year will be way better