Brown's DNA may be extracted

AIKEN - A hearing has been set for Tuesday to take DNA from James Brown's body - which still has not been buried - to use in potential paternity claims against his estate.

Brown  File/Staff
File/Staff
Brown

Attorneys for the late singer's trustees filed a motion in Aiken County Common Pleas Court late Friday afternoon asking that DNA be taken before Mr. Brown's casket is sealed and entombed.

Rodney Peeples, one of the attorneys, said they expect potential illegitimate children of the singer soon will come forward and DNA is needed to either confirm or refute those claims.

It's best to take the DNA now, he said, because waiting will mean that "we would have to unseal the crypt."

"We didn't want an Anna Nicole circus," he said.

Mr. Brown's six children do not oppose the DNA request, Mr. Peeples said, but an attorney for the late singer's fourth wife has.

"We didn't want to bother the courts with this, but we couldn't resolve it," he said.

Robert Rosen, a Charleston attorney representing Tomi Rae Hynie Brown, responded in an e-mail that she always has agreed for DNA samples to be taken.

What they didn't agree with, he wrote, was the trustees "dictating the procedures as we want to insure that the testing be done by a qualified, impartial person."

The trustees have come under fire by both Mrs. Brown and his children, who've claimed that Buddy Dallas, David Cannon and Alford Bradley have mismanaged the singer's estate. Efforts by the children to remove them as executors of his will failed this week.

Mr. Rosen said he's planning to file a motion asking the courts to oversee the DNA sampling and to appoint a qualified professional from the Medical University of South Carolina.

He said he also wants the court to keep a sample of Mr. Brown's DNA in case a dispute arises later.

The hearing has been set for 2 p.m. in Walterboro, S.C., in front of 2nd Judicial Circuit Court Judge Jack Early.

It was confirmed this week that the children and Mrs. Brown have agreed on burial arrangements, although the man responsible for the singer's body says the body is still above ground and has not been buried.

Charlie Reid, the owner of the C.A. Reid Sr. Memorial Funeral Home, has taken care of the musician's body since he died Christmas Day at age 73.

He continues to watch over it at an undisclosed location, where the embalmed corpse is being preserved in a temperature-controlled room.

"I don't know anything," he said. "I'm reading a lot of stuff and I have no idea where it's coming from. I assume it's coming from Tomi Rae."

Mrs. Brown confirmed Thursday night that Mr. Brown had not been buried and that when he was, she would be there. The children originally said they were not burying their father because they planned to place his body in a mausoleum at his Beech Island estate, which would be turned into a museum similar to the Graceland tourist attraction created for Elvis Presley.

"No final arrangements have been made yet," Mr. Reid said. "I haven't talked to the children in two weeks."

Several of Mr. Brown's children have declined requests to comment on their father, and their Atlanta attorney, Louis Levenson, did not respond to messages left at his office.

The trustees of Mr. Brown's estate have not been included in discussions about the singer's burial.

They have, however, gotten bills from the children for Mr. Brown's funeral services in New York City and Augusta totalling about $150,000, Mr. Dallas said, even though the children never sought permission from the trustees.

"I'm out of the loop," Mr. Dallas said of the burial. "I don't know who is talking to who."

Reach Sandi Martin and Josh Gelinas at (803) 648-1395.

eschamb
eschamb 02/24/07 - 08:35 am
I bet James is laughing away

I bet James is laughing away in his grave, "..I feel good.."

good7ness7
good7ness7 02/24/07 - 10:39 am
In the article and news

In the article and news reports there have been comparisons between the James Brown saga and the Anna Nicole saga. This is simply stupid! Both were human beings with sad lives whose families ALL appear to need spiritual growth.

crymeariver
crymeariver 02/24/07 - 10:49 am
Aint been buried yet? Yall

Aint been buried yet? Yall people are freakn nasty!!!!!! And its all over a dollar too. What a shame. Everybody in that family should feel ashamed and get nothing. They are all greedy bastards.

keepinitreal
keepinitreal 02/24/07 - 11:39 am
It's amazing what money can

It's amazing what money can do to people isn't it. I don't know of anyone else's body being kept upground this long before. I think that everyone should be more considerate of James's body and should have already gotten the DNA after the last ceremony they had for him so his body could REST IN PEACE instead of being kept in a controlled climate to preserve it. I thought it was a HOME GOING celebration for him not a who gets the biggest chunk of his material remains. I feel it would be in the best intrest for everyone to put their differences aside and think about why they are having the disagreements. We hear more about James's estate and funds, and seemingly everything except James IS buried. Just the way I see it.

FED UP you have a crazy way of stating how you feel but I get where you're coming from and I agree. I would not say it that way, but it seems that way to me also.

georgia girl1
georgia girl1 02/24/07 - 11:41 am
Mr. Reid, you may not be

Mr. Reid, you may not be SMART enough, but you are certainly OLD enough not to assume anything. It only makes an [filtered word] of you. And Mr. Dallas, your greed is so transparent! It is unimaginable that you would make such a comment about the funeral expenses at this time. You showed up for the funeral. If you had objections to funeral arrangements being made without YOUR permission, nearly 60 days later is not the time to complain. Of course, you'll slaughter the children and TomiRae every chance you get since they are "on to you". You're an opponent now - and that's of your own doing. By the way, my mother's estate was not worth millions, but there was money there ... and we children made all the arrangements without asking permission to spent money to bury her. All the bills were sent to the administrator for payment and we were NEVER chided, publically or otherwise for doing so. Actually, we were praised for doing such a beautiful job. Buddy, your greed and strong animosity is not becoming. Shame on you. Shame on both these men.

2touchlives
2touchlives 02/24/07 - 11:55 am
I thought the DNA had to be

I thought the DNA had to be done BEFORE the embalming. That's what they said in ANS case.
So nothing moves moneywise until they get the special administrator. When will that be?
Tommi Rae is about to put out a CD she recorded with JB.

gcap
gcap 02/24/07 - 01:09 pm
AND THEY'RE OFF!!! James

AND THEY'RE OFF!!! James Brown got a head start, but Anna Nicole Smith is showing that her family (whoever they are, were, or claim to be) can be just as foolish and selfish as JB's. Bury them both and move on. The race is over.

fedup pt2
fedup pt2 02/24/07 - 01:23 pm
It's ridiculous that this

It's ridiculous that this man's soul is not resting yet. It seems as if he's catching more hell now than on his death bed. What is this proving it's so disrespectful to Mr. Brown's remains to put him through this BS. I mean really let this man's journey in the after life begin already. I'm sure he's just shaking his head in disbelief at what his so called family is doing to him, how selfish is that. Someone said that they did'nt want this to end up another ANS circus OOPS TO LATE!!!

HOPE
HOPE 02/24/07 - 02:17 pm
hi ho hi it's off too court

hi ho hi it's off too court we greedy bas#ards go!!!
what a shame to openly ruin mr. brown's legacy. now it will be remembered as the fight for money and greed. i wonder what these people say when they go before the lord? maybe they will want to take god to court too see who get's what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stepyga
stepyga 02/24/07 - 02:21 pm
My whole outlook on this

My whole outlook on this whole Anna Nicole and James Brown thing is... First of all nobody knew how they felt about the people they were with. You are not them every body has there own feelings. Secondly trying to get your own 5 minutes of fame is getting a little old. I mean bury the bodies already. I have follwed both stories since they began and personally myself I am getting tired of hearing about it. The only ones that I am beginning to feel bad for are James Brown, Anna Nicole, and the poor little children that don't even know or understand what the hell is going on...

toenail
toenail 02/24/07 - 02:26 pm
If I thought my child was

If I thought my child was fathered by James Brown, I would
have DEMANDED DNA be taken 2 months ago.......Something just
ain't right with this picture

Waterburger1
Waterburger1 02/24/07 - 02:42 pm
Perhaps when the DNA has been

Perhaps when the DNA has been extracted and the dust has settled, we will all marvel at the fact that Buddy Dallas is James Brown's son.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 02/24/07 - 04:28 pm
Good thing Buddy's name isn't

Good thing Buddy's name isn't "Luke", eh Waterburger?

is there no end
is there no end 02/24/07 - 05:36 pm
i think it is very sad that

i think it is very sad that the families are at it again go on and bury your supposed love ones !!!!!!!! the god lord is watching you're greed and just think after you keep dragging things out in the courts the only one to have any money left is the lawyers because the make sure they get paid !!!!!!!!!!!!!! so they will have the last laugh. you all are very smart compassionate people right it just does not SHOW AT ALL . SHAME ON YOU ALL.

keepinitreal
keepinitreal 02/24/07 - 07:29 pm
Big ups to you FED UP pt2.

Big ups to you FED UP pt2. Thanks for putting a curve on your words. I totally agree with you this time.

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/24/07 - 08:11 pm
They should demand a DNA for

They should demand a DNA for Tomi Rae's child! Take a good look at that child....he has the features of a Paskistanian, who was the man she was married to when she married Brown. She stated they continued to be great friends today. Look at the deep eyes, dark curly hair, and bone structure. Of course this is just an observation which we obviously all have a right to do. The child does not look like or have any features of Tomi or Brown.

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/24/07 - 08:17 pm
Before someone comments on

Before someone comments on just seeing the child on TV, and you can't tell by TV.......Let me correct you....I purposely held the child at the private funeral of which I was a part of. Tomi was so busy acting crazy, which was aggravating the boy around so many strangers, so, I picked him up with permission from Brown's daughter and took him to the nursery for ice cream and cookies for a while. I had plenty of time to REALLY CHECK THE FEATURES!

Curlie56
Curlie56 02/24/07 - 08:23 pm
As for Anna Nicole, I think

As for Anna Nicole, I think the daughter is just beautiful! Now, did I understand CNN to address Anna's mother as"estranged" mother? That to me is stating they were not communicating...UmUm, wonder why the mother is so interested now? I think she should be buried by her son, whom she obviously loved dearly. Didn't she inherit billions of dollars? Wow, I wonder who has the right DNA for this one? This is certainly far more than the Brown fortune. I just hope Stern takes care of the baby while spending.

behonest1
behonest1 02/24/07 - 11:51 pm
Darn this is worse than the

Darn this is worse than the anna smith saga. Will this story ever die...(no pun intended). put the guy in the ground. Why hasn't any judge taken control of this mess?