Bouncer shot at Washington Road nightclub

A bouncer at a Washington Road nightclub was the victim of multiple gun shots while working at Dreams nightclub late Wednesday night.

Paul Dicks, 27, of Augusta, was shot twice in the left side of his chest and once in the neck, said Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Brandon Beckman.

At about 11:30 p.m., Augusta 911 personnel received several calls reporting that someone had been shot in a parking lot adjacent to the popular nightspot, police said.

The club is located at 3023 Washington Road and was formerly a Chinese restaurant and a Shoney's Inn.

As of 1:30 a.m., Thursday, police said Mr. Dicks was in surgery at the Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

Investigator Beckman said the victim was patrolling the parking lot near the nightclub when he was approached by four men who attempted to grab a gold chain from his neck. When Mr. Dicks refused their demands and pushed one of the men away from him, another man reached for a gun and fired several shots.

"They were unable to get anything from the victim," Investigator Beckman said.

After being shot, Mr. Dicks walked from the crime scene to the club's entrance and told employees what had just happened.

Investigator Beckman said Mr. Dicks was working his regular shift as a bouncer and security guard at the club. "His injuries are possibly life-threatening," the investigator said. The victim did not know his attackers, Investigator Beckman said.

Police said they aren't certain if the suspects escaped in a car or ran from the scene. "We're still following leads," Investigator Beckman said.

Anyone with information about Wednesday night's shooting should contact the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at (706) 821-1080.

zHolly220
zHolly220 02/08/07 - 07:27 am
That is a shame,that this man

That is a shame,that this man got shot for a gold chain. I will pray for you Mr.Dicks and your family. I hope they find those punks,and give them some real jail time. Thank goodness he was able to get back to the club and get help.

augres
augres 02/08/07 - 09:49 am
i feel bad for the man also,

i feel bad for the man also, but if "CLUB DREAMS" would employ off duty deputies like the rest of the night clubs in augusta this might not have happened. oh. i forgot they do use mabey one marshall

bigdog
bigdog 02/08/07 - 10:14 am
oh here we go again. sounds

oh here we go again. sounds like another Alex's bar that was wrightsboro Rd.

misery031877
misery031877 02/08/07 - 10:28 am
While i feel bad for the

While i feel bad for the gentleman that got shot I can't say that I am surprised. I've been to this club and will not go back. It stays way to croweded, you can't move and its filled with a bunch of young people drinking way too much alcohol and smoking drugs that you can smell as you walk through the place. I suggest the owners take a closer look at how their bar is being ran. Then make certain changes if they plan on being in business for any length of time.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 02/08/07 - 10:56 am
This is why I don't do clubs

This is why I don't do clubs in Augusta. You can't have a good time because someone is either trying to feel you up, or someone is starting a fight. What happen to all the grown people in Augusta? Where do they go to let loose!!!!!! I would never go in Club Dreams; I heard it was a hot box anyways.

mrgitpaid
mrgitpaid 02/08/07 - 10:59 am
Get well soon Paul D!!!

Get well soon Paul D!!!

Delirious58
Delirious58 02/08/07 - 11:43 am
Nicole, the adults in

Nicole, the adults in Augusta really do not have a decent nightclub to go to, simply because every time a club opens and the owner says it is JUST FOR ADULTS, a month or so later, the teeny boppers and the immature 20, 30 year olds are allowed to attend the club and the adults stops going to the establishment.
I blame this on the management because they're so hungry for money until their decision on allowing younger people to attend always ends up with incidents of violence.

amazon101
amazon101 02/08/07 - 11:44 am
my life is to precious; i

my life is to precious; i would've gave up the chain. you can always buy another chain. if he would've giving up the chain it's a possiblity he wouldn't be in the situation he in.

1980reader
1980reader 02/08/07 - 12:10 pm
I agree that life is always

I agree that life is always more precious than property, but you can't blame the man for standing up to a group of thugs. I hope he heals up and that the cops put these thugs behind bars for a half-century or so.

chocolate25
chocolate25 02/08/07 - 12:37 pm
At first, Club Dreams

At first, Club Dreams supposed to have been an upscale then, it ended to be another Coconuts. I hate Club Dreams, I know that eventually something like this would happen. When you first walk in Club Dreams everyone there looks at you as if they have an attitude or want to fight. There is no dress code and yes people are doing drugs in the club. I am surprised that Club Dreams is stll open. It is sad what happened to the guy but, every club in Augusta is not like that.

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 02/08/07 - 12:44 pm
They were probably kids

They were probably kids hanging in the parking lot looking for trouble. They were probably 16 years old and if they catch them they will get a year probation and go home with the parents. That's what the juvenile court sentences most underage convictions with a firearm. That and $50 fine. Such as in the for the record section on 2/1/07 David Lee Blair, 15, of the 500 block of Wrights Avenue, felony counts of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and a misdemeanor count of obstruction of a law enforcement officer; 12 months' probation, 60 days in the Short Term Program and ordered to pay a $50 supervision fee.
This is BS they are out the next day looking for trouble. The parents should be held accountable!

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 02/08/07 - 12:57 pm
Augers what you have to

Augers what you have to understand is that the off duty police work the clubs on a volunteer basis. If you have a club known to have trouble they will not work for you. They only want to work the clubs that have no trouble. That is why you will see 4 cops at the Country Club, they usually have no problems. This is how it works in Augusta. Would you rather work for someone that has no problems of one that does? Someplace you could get shot and killed or someplace you can just hang out and have fun. There are lots of requests for off duty police officers that get posted at the police station that never get filled. They also get paid under the table with no taxes taken out. If you are willing to pay $50 an hour for 2 officers they may even inquire but that does not mean they will cover a club. A private security company will not cover a night club whatsoever.
That’s how it works in Augusta. Just thought you should know.

grow up augusta
grow up augusta 02/08/07 - 02:05 pm
Finding the guys should not

Finding the guys should not be that hard. I am sure one of them dropped their crackpipe... or maybe it was the stem they smoke meth with. Just check the closest grocery store. They have to cash their welfare check somewhere.

Dblocs
Dblocs 02/08/07 - 02:47 pm
It's a shame that these thugs

It's a shame that these thugs have to go on the prowl to rob hard working people. Now he will have to miss who knows how many days from work. That's why I just stay home. My prayers to Mr. Dicks and his family.

thekewldude3
thekewldude3 02/08/07 - 03:31 pm
i have a dog

i have a dog

thekewldude3
thekewldude3 02/08/07 - 03:34 pm
its blue

its blue

2007
2007 02/08/07 - 03:41 pm
I am sorry that this happened

I am sorry that this happened to the gentleman, i hope that they find the people who did this to him. This is for the people who think Augusta is getting worst, I dissagree! I worked in a club in Augusta and if he would of had more secerity working with him and he wasn't working by himself in that parking lot this wouldn't have happened. when i worked at my club there was never enough secerity and bad things allways happened. one thing that i do know is that there is crime everyware you go. my prayers go out to him and his family.

thekewldude3
thekewldude3 02/08/07 - 03:48 pm
and it has a tail

and it has a tail

apex24
apex24 02/08/07 - 04:28 pm
Same old story. Four to five

Same old story. Four to five blacks trying to steal something and shoot somebody. Where in the hell are the black leaders in this city!!!

Forgiven1
Forgiven1 02/08/07 - 04:34 pm
How do you know that the

How do you know that the attackers were Black? Where did you get your statistics? Are you a Black leader?, if not, become one and save some lives.

littlejohn500
littlejohn500 02/08/07 - 05:46 pm
is it a rule to misspell when

is it a rule to misspell when you blog??? thoughts and prayers to the victim and family.

B4Real07
B4Real07 02/08/07 - 05:46 pm
First let me say this, Crime

First let me say this, Crime happens everywhere! This could have happened at Velvet, 706, Vue, or Coyote's. Other than a fight breaking out every now and then, like at any other club or bar. There is No violence at Dreams, even if there were Police in the Parking lot or in the club, who's to say that those guys still wouldn't have tried him? ....... I'm sure that you will pull through just fine. Paul, you are in my Prayers. Get well soon!!!!!!!

SES_1
SES_1 02/08/07 - 07:29 pm
If Augusta is in need of a

If Augusta is in need of a black leader
Call Mayor Ray Nagin in His chocolate
city Augusta is getting there fast

VoteRepublican
VoteRepublican 02/08/07 - 07:34 pm
The citizens that live in the

The citizens that live in the areas around this thug club need to unite and demand it be closed. There has been nothing but problems since this place opened. West Augusta communities should unite and demand action by city officials. The chronicle should do a little research to see how many incidents have occurred at this address over the past 12 months. I think it would be alarmingly high. CITIZENS UNITE!!!

helpaugusta
helpaugusta 02/08/07 - 08:24 pm
WHAT, u mean 4 young black

WHAT, u mean 4 young black amles shot someone working for a petty gold chain, i am surpised that this would happen in augusta. For those of u in denial. I am being sarcastic.

crymeariver
crymeariver 02/08/07 - 08:26 pm
I bet you wont find 5 white

I bet you wont find 5 white people in that club. Every night club turns into an all black hangout and people get shot. Like it or not, black people that hang out at these clubs dont know how to act. There, its been said!!!

daemon99
daemon99 02/08/07 - 09:45 pm
This is why I don't care for

This is why I don't care for the club scene. Mr. Dick, my prayers are with you and your family.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 02/08/07 - 10:20 pm
West Augusta is going exactly

West Augusta is going exactly the same way South Augusta went. And it's not a black or white thing. It's the current generation of young adults. I spent most of my time during the past several years with them, and they almost all are like middle school kids were 20 years ago. Most of them seem not to have brains, hearts or souls. They are just skin-covered appetites. This county may never recover... but we're not alone. It's everywhere now in our post-Christian civilization. The decent are in the minority now. Maranatha.

woodmaster
woodmaster 02/08/07 - 10:50 pm
Young and ignorant. A gold

Young and ignorant. A gold chain may run you 5 to 6 hundred dollars. Not worth time in jail or death. That is the average weekly salary for anyone who's willing to bust their hump at a real job. Instead, 4 punks want to risk their freedom and/or life for a chain. What were they gonna do, take turns wearing it. Pure ignorance !!!!!!!!!!

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 02/09/07 - 12:18 am
jcdc1961 Do the same study in

jcdc1961 Do the same study in your neighborhood, I'm sure you would have more criminal activity then what goes on around that club. especially if you are in the city limits.