Man charged in kidnapping, rape of teen

AIKEN - Aiken authorities have arrested a Johnston man and charged him with kidnapping a teen girl from the Aiken Mall and raping her.

Wayne Gibson: Johnston man has been charged with kidnapping and first-degree criminal sexual conduct.  Special
Special

Wayne D. Gibson Jr., 27, of the 400 block of May Street, was booked into the Aiken County Detention Center and charged with kidnapping and first-degree criminal sexual conduct.

Investigators with the Aiken County Sheriff's Office and Aiken Department of Public Safety say Mr. Gibson took the 17-year-old girl from the parking lot of the mall Tuesday night, drove her to an area near Camp Long Road and raped her.

She called for help from a phone at Kent's Korner on Indian Trail Road shortly after 9 p.m., said Lt. Michael Frank, spokesman for the sheriff's office.

Mr. Gibson was there and was arrested at that time, he said.

The sheriff's office lodged the rape charge against Mr. Gibson. The kidnapping charge was filed by city police.

Detective Marty Sawyer, spokesman for the city police agency, said the New Ellenton girl was in the parking lot near the mall's food court at about 8:30 p.m. when Mr. Gibson approached her and offered her a ride.

She accepted, he said, and they began walking to his car.

"She got a bad feeling about it, decided she wasn't going to do it, but he snatched her pocketbook and forced her to go with him," Detective Sawyer said.

Detective Sawyer said the girl had been dropped off at the mall and had planned on calling someone to pick her up when Mr. Gibson approached her.

"We don't have any indication that they knew each other," he said.

According to the sheriff's report, the girl locked herself in a back room at the gas station.

She told officers that Mr. Gibson drove her to somewhere on Wire Road near Camp Long Road in his 1998 Buick.

She was taken to Aiken Regional Medical Centers for an exam.

Reach Sandi Martin at (803) 648-1395, ext. 111, or sandi.martin@augustachronicle.com.

bone
bone 02/08/07 - 05:58 am
Hmmmm....this girl needed

Hmmmm....this girl needed some more supervision if she was dumb enough to ride off with a stranger in the first place. Awful way to learn a terrible lesson - hope the guy gets plenty of jail time & experiences the same punishment while in prison.

BBSouth
BBSouth 02/08/07 - 07:43 am
I agree with Bone, she was

I agree with Bone, she was old enough to know better, but my prayers are with her. I hope other women in the area will be more careful. This is the third reported rape. Maybe all of us women in the CSRA need a refresher corse on safety. Maybe the media, law enforcement, government, and schools need to look in to educating, or reeducationg women on safety matters.

Dblocs
Dblocs 02/08/07 - 09:22 am
Why would this girl accept a

Why would this girl accept a ride from a stranger? She made a bad decision, my prayers are with her. As for this creep driving around mall parking lots looking for victims I hope he gets what he deserves, not only from the justice system but from a fellow inmate.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 02/08/07 - 10:38 am
I never was that gullible

I never was that gullible when I was her age. Not only that, my mother wasn't having me just ride home with anyone. I can't believe these kids these days. They have no regard for all the dangers in the world today. You would think she knows of all the danger around her. This was a lesson she need to learn. I wish she didn't have to learn it this way. We have to do something about all of these child predators!!! This sicko knew what he was doing!!!!!!!!!!

lmcdoanld
lmcdoanld 02/08/07 - 10:56 am
Even if she was dumb enough

Even if she was dumb enough to accept a ride from a stranger, what gives anyone the right to rape a human being? We all have made a bad decision one in our life time, and unfortunately
for her this was the result of one that she made. Who are we to judge. Please remember that the society we live in today, one does not have to make a bad decison and can still be assaulted or violated. Let's not judge and pray that this one incident will not ruin this young girls life. Being a rape victim myself, I can know how she feels. Fortunately for me, I am a survivor. Let's hope she will be one also.

Additional Info
Additional Info 02/08/07 - 12:35 pm
It concerns me that parents

It concerns me that parents drop their children off for the mall to babysit because they are too busy living their own lives. Why don't we see reality- a 17 year old is a minor? Minor children need supervision. If a parent had been there, this probably wouldn't have happened. Common sense that is not very common these days. Again, parents need to be training their children. We can't live in our own world and think nothing will happen. We have to stay alert to things around us. If we don't care about ourselves, no one else will. I am so sorry this girl experienced such a terrible thing. It is not her fault. However, the question needs to be asked, where were her parents?

adrian22
adrian22 02/08/07 - 12:45 pm
I agree BB SOuth

I agree BB SOuth

jdcooper
jdcooper 02/08/07 - 12:46 pm
Her stupidity makes me less

Her stupidity makes me less sympathetic (I said less...not without)

pablanco
pablanco 02/08/07 - 12:47 pm
I know what she was doing

I know what she was doing wasn't the smartest decision but why must people always blame the victim? It's impossible to put yourself in her situation and mind set. What you can do it is realize what he alledgedly did was horrendous.
Goody's a couple days ago and now a Mall. I am sure other instances of rape has occured between those occasions but it really is a shame when you can't go spend some money and feel safe.

grow up augusta
grow up augusta 02/08/07 - 03:00 pm
Sure, lets blame the victim!

Sure, lets blame the victim! Do you think he would ever have a girlfriend with that face..... a face only a mother could love. And now bubba gets to love it... thats justice.

2007
2007 02/08/07 - 05:00 pm
I am sorry that this happened

I am sorry that this happened to her. My prayers are with her. I agreee with cdonald, who are we to judge. I myself have been kidnapped and raped also but i couldnt get away that fast it took me six days to get away. that was the most horriable thing that could happen to me. I was standing in my front yard playing and i got kidnapped, so to those who are judgeing please remember it can happen to you!!!!!!

charlotteman
charlotteman 02/08/07 - 09:01 pm
Plaster the man's face on the

Plaster the man's face on the news and ruin his name. What if he's guilty and she's tell a lie? Remember what happened at Duke? Come on people, don't be so quick to judge! She was old enough to know not to ride off with a stranger! Maybe it was consensual.....

ForHim
ForHim 02/08/07 - 09:17 pm
We don't have a clue as to

We don't have a clue as to why she accepted a ride. The mall was closing and she accepted then changed her mind. Teenagers don't have the experience older people do. Bottom line, she was a victim. That man had no right to do what he did. Hope he gets the maximum sentence. My prayers are with this young girl.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 02/09/07 - 01:30 am
Her parents could have done a

Her parents could have done a better job of teaching her some common sense, as well as keeping track of her and making sure she was safe.

woeisyou
woeisyou 02/09/07 - 01:46 am
castrate him

castrate him

butterflygina
butterflygina 02/09/07 - 09:19 am
Okay. We should not be

Okay. We should not be putting so much blame on her. She is still a child and doesn't appear to be as mature as she should at 17. I'm sure she has been told plenty of times to not go with strangers, just like many teenagers have been told to wear their seatbelts, but don't and end up ejected from vehicles and killed. It is a lesson learned that will stay with her the rest of her life. Hopefully this will also be a lesson to others in her age group. Hope all works well. And I'm sure the guys in jail will have a good ole time with him.

butterflygina
butterflygina 02/09/07 - 09:22 am
I agree with

I agree with TIMESHAVECHANGED. Our children should be able to go to the mall without fear of being kidnapped, raped, murdered or harrassed. But all too often, that is not the case. Parents should not have to accompany older teens while shopping. Going in groups, in the daytime and using lots of common sense helps.

luckie
luckie 02/09/07 - 09:43 am
They had to close Regency

They had to close Regency Mall. Pretty soon they will be closing Augusta Mall and Augusta will have no mall at all. Sooooo sad.
I have been saying all along, Augusta needs some places that teens can go to. They closed Stardust Skating Rink down of course it is because of interstate additons, however parks and recreation or civic center entertainment promootions need to do something. Encourage young local musicians to play little band concerts cokes only twice a week. Do somethng. We have no beaches here. Hanging out at the mall is a teenagers entertainment - not that I approve of it but they do go there walk around and eat at the food court. Just a concern for kids.