Jeremy Overstreet. Give credit to the Paine senior center. Overstreet has figured out his role, which is to be the team's main rebounder and defender inside the paint. He is third in the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference in rebounding (9.3) and second in blocks (3.2).
Armstrong Atlantic State men. The once nationally-ranked Pirates got swept by Augusta State and are - for all intents and purposes - out of the running for the Peach Belt Conference South Division title. The Savannah school lost, 77-53, at Augusta State on Wednesday.
Armstrong Atlantic State coach Jeff Burkhamer has always been a great coach and a fine person. But in explaining his team's latest loss, he used every basketball coach's favorite excuse: officiating.
"(Augusta State was) able to get fouled a lot and went to the foul line. I'll just put it like that," Burkhamer said after the game. "And we didn't get fouled, according to the officials. Let's put it that way."
Huh? With the game tied at halftime, Augusta State shot 72 percent in the second half to pull away for a 24-point win. As for the free throws, the Jaguars attempted one more foul shot than the Pirates did in the second half. That's right, one. So much for that conspiracy theory.
Lander women at Augusta State, 2 p.m.; Lander men at Augusta State, 4; Armstrong Atlantic State women at USC Aiken, 5:30; Armstrong Atlantic State men at USC Aiken, 7:30; Stillman women at Paine, 5:30; Stillman men at Paine, 7:30; Aiken Tech at Louisburg, 4 p.m.
RANKING THE MEN'S TEAMS
1. Augusta State (17-3, 9-0). Jaguars need 10 more wins to match the season record for victories set in 1969-70.
T2. Aiken Tech (16-4, 9-0). Knights on an 11-game winning streak entering play Friday night.
T2. Paine (11-6, 10-4). Lions picked up a key win at No. 22 Benedict on Tuesday.
4. USC Aiken (8-14, 2-7). Pacers last in conference assist-turnover ratio at minus-3.36 a game.
RANKING THE WOMEN'S TEAMS
1. Augusta State (13-6, 5-4). Red hot Lady Jaguars have won four in a row and still have an outside shot to win the tough Peach Belt South Division.
2. USC Aiken (13-7, 5-4). Lady Pacers, a half-game back in the Peach Belt North, notched a nice road win at then-No. 15 Clayton State last week.
3. Paine (9-9, 8-4). Lady Lions have yet to win three games in a row this season.
- Chris Gay