White students cross racial lines with 'gangsta' parties

CHARLESTON, S.C. - White students at Tarleton State University in Texas hold a party in which they dress in gang gear and drink malt liquor from paper bags. A white Clemson University student attends a bash in blackface over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend. A fraternity at Johns Hopkins University invites partygoers to wear "bling bling" grills, or shiny metal caps on their teeth.

Clemson University student Raniece McDonald (left) talks about the insensitivity shown during a party that mocked black people, during a community forum Tuesday in Anderson, S.C.  Associated Press
Associated Press

"Gangsta" theme parties thrown by whites are drawing the ire of college officials and heated complaints from black and white students who say the antics conjure the worst racial stereotypes.

University officials, the NAACP and others have condemned the parties as insulting and inexcusable under any circumstances. At the same time, some black academics said they are not surprised, given the popularity of rap music among inner-city blacks and well-to-do suburban whites alike.

The white students, they said, were mimicking the kind of outlaw posturing that blacks engage in in rap videos. They suggest the white students ended up crossing the same line that says it is OK for blacks to use words considered racial slurs, but not all right for whites to do it.

Whites often don't realize their actions are offensive because they are imitating behavior celebrated in music and seen on TV, said Venise Berry, an associate professor of journalism at the University of Iowa who has researched rap music and popular culture.

"The segment of rap music that is glamorized and popularized by the media is gangsta rap," said Ms. Berry, who is black. "It has become an image that is normalized in our society. That to me explains clearly why they don't see it as wrong."

At an off-campus "Bullets and Bubbly" party thrown by University of Connecticut School of Law students in January, pictures showed students wearing baggy jeans, puffy jackets and holding fake machine guns.

Often such parties go unnoticed outside campuses until students post pictures on Web sites. That's how images of the Clemson party surfaced this week. One student wore blackface; another white student padded her pants to make her rear end look bigger.

Harold Hughes, a black fraternity member at Clemson whose frat brothers attended the party, said white students "see this on MTV and BET; they think it's cool to portray hip hop culture." Mr. Hughes said he found it offensive that the party was held over the Martin Luther King holiday.

Many white Clemson students said they didn't think the party was held to intentionally offend blacks, and organizers later issued an unsigned letter of apology. Still, school officials are investigating, and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People said the party was not harmless fun.

"We once lynched African-Americans as good fun and humor," said Lonnie Randolph, the president of the South Carolina chapter of the NAACP.

bigred14
bigred14 02/01/07 - 06:52 pm
first of all...im black and

first of all...im black and its not really offensive....but u whites need to also know that yall treated us wrong...so, we may act like we white wearing tight pants, with no booty, and talk weird. THE POINT IS THAT IF YALL DRESS AND ACT BLACK YOU MAY DO IT AROUND THE WRONG PEOPLE AND END UP HURT....!!!!!!!!!!

SO THINK ABOUT THINGS BEFORE YOU DO THEM
~~R.I.P TANIEL & CEYON~~

intheknow
intheknow 02/01/07 - 06:54 pm
Flgirl please tell me how

Flgirl please tell me how clothe someone wears lead to seperation of the races? Unless you mean a white hood, then I can agree with you.

bigred14
bigred14 02/01/07 - 07:03 pm
also...fed up big time...we

also...fed up big time...we get offended when whites call us niggaz because thats a slavery name....go watch roots and see why a white person doesnt eva call us a [filtered word]

buddydawg
buddydawg 02/01/07 - 07:04 pm
listen up I am not y'all and

listen up I am not y'all and have never treated "y'all" in any way. In that respect I do not feel I owe "y'all" anything. At some point you have to get past it and quit blaming folks like me every time you feel slighted. And by the way, drop the little threats you put in your post, it is not the least bit intimidating

bigred14
bigred14 02/01/07 - 07:17 pm
well...im havin a bad

well...im havin a bad day....my ''white'' freind named ceyon just died today and then i got in a car accident...so just leave me alone....but i do apologize to you and to any one i offended....

~also my friend was so cool...she act black but in a good way....i just say her yesterday doin the ''walk it out'' and she was gettin it....rip ceyon

Truckguy
Truckguy 02/01/07 - 07:27 pm
I don't care whether you are

I don't care whether you are wearing FUBU or Dixie Upfitters clothing. It is anyones right in this country to preserve their heritage and express their opinions freely. You people need to spend time, thought, and enery toward something more constructive than this. It is a non issue.

Truckguy
Truckguy 02/01/07 - 07:45 pm
Oh! By the way, Nicole

Oh! By the way, Nicole Kelley, you do a good job of monitoring this forum. Keep up the good work, your bosses need to give you a raise.

KingJames
KingJames 02/01/07 - 07:51 pm
I don't usually address a

I don't usually address a post to people unless they say something that really strikes a nerve with me. bigred14 you should stop using the "N" word. I don't care if you are trying to prove a point. It is offensive to me. I don't use it to refer to anyone because I realized a long time ago that if I used it, then I had nothing to complain about if someone outside my race used it, too. If you know that it is a slave term, then free yourself from a slave mentality and never use it again. I don't care how mad you get at someone, you disrespect yourself and your race everytime you part your lips to utter the word. I think everyone reading this post will see that this is all about self respect, positive images, and the lack thereof in our communities. The clothes, the hair, the bling grills - all of that stuff is crazy. I will be glad when this terrible fad is over. Hopefully, some of these kids will realize that if all their minds are focused on is being "gangsta" then they are missing out on what the rest of the world has to offeer.

voluptuously_auburn1
voluptuously_auburn1 02/01/07 - 08:24 pm
How are these parties any

How are these parties any different then the black actors/comedians on BET Classic Comedy, MAD TV, and SNL who portray "whitey" in mannerisms in their sketches?

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 02/01/07 - 09:16 pm
funny someone would bring up

funny someone would bring up BET. I suppose a WET would be out of the question.

intheknow
intheknow 02/01/07 - 09:59 pm
almost all the network are

almost all the network are WET.

CMCK
CMCK 02/02/07 - 12:27 am
go clemson carry on the

go clemson carry on the tradition!!!

belle71
belle71 02/02/07 - 03:16 am
I knew the good ole CSRA

I knew the good ole CSRA would have a ball with this one . . . . since they thrive on the "race card". Our country has men and women (black & white) dying in the middle east . . . . . and we sit at our computers and carry on about out-dated racial issues that haven't changed in this area for decades! It is the most ridiculous argument and the men and women that have chosen to move past this issue are usually the ones that we find . . . successful! Come on folks . . . . . find something new to argue about! Accept what you are . . . . and what others are . . . . and move forward!

stillamazed
stillamazed 02/02/07 - 08:20 am
I hope that Nicole comes back

I hope that Nicole comes back today and reads the postings, I have seen some photos on the net from this party and I beg to differ with you, all of the MINORITIES did not get offended and leave, there are photos of them laughing and dancing and drinking it up just like all the other kids were doing, so apparently you need to get a grip and do your research!!!!!

LaTwon
LaTwon 02/02/07 - 10:16 am
thats what everyone is over

thats what everyone is over looking. 30 years ago no black folk would have been invited. friendships spawn much opportunity.
the real racism that i have seen in this came from the mouth of the gentleman from the naacp.

daemon99
daemon99 02/02/07 - 10:42 am
The NAACP needs to get off

The NAACP needs to get off it. Sometimes they seem more racist than these kids. They simply portrayed what they see in the media all the time, and they should not be penalized for it. With the exception of the painted black face (not cool), I personally find this amusing.

Think About All of It
Think About All of It 02/02/07 - 10:53 am
some of you all need to stop

some of you all need to stop and think about this thing. Go back in to history. White people told back people what they could and could not do for many years Fed Up Big Time. And we can't keep treating college students like children, they are young adults and the things they do needs to be taken into consideration. Its time for them to grow up, that's why so many of them die, because we ignor their actions. And the many people that think this wasn't a racial event do we really know that or is that what we want ourselves to believe. We are still not equal regardless of what we may led each other to think. We still have yet to have a black president. KingJames we are not the only ones that does stupid things we're just the only ones called out on it that's why we look stupid. White children does things like steal their father's patrol cars, they have vulger videos. They have rock stars, and they dress funny, but that's not a big issue is it? WHY? We better be glad we have the NAACP to look after us as blacks because some of us are so bain washed and just so happy to have a little freedom we don't really know when white people are tring to control us.

ScoutsOut
ScoutsOut 02/02/07 - 11:15 am
Don't black comedians mock

Don't black comedians mock white people? Make fun of us? People (and the media) need to quite making such a big deal about the small stuff and concentrate on fixing the big things. When was the last time anyone read a story about a group of people helping the community, black or white?

Think About All of It
Think About All of It 02/02/07 - 11:37 am
WorriedAboutOurFuture, how

WorriedAboutOurFuture, how hilarious would it be if a group of black students got together and had a redneck party. What if they decorated a ragedy mobile home, dressed up in tight jeans, dusty cowboy boots, a big cowboy hat, and put 4x4 tires on a pickup. Then shook up budweisers and poured them all over each other, then last but not least dressed the females in blond wigs too little t-shirts, and took pictures of them sloopy, falling down drunk, ignoring the guys but nasty dancing all over each other. Lets hear you laugh at that. Oh, and it's not racial for all of you reading this isn't it the same as the gansta party, just good old fun. lol! HILARIOUS OR IS IT?

itiswhatitiz
itiswhatitiz 02/02/07 - 11:40 am
I hope that you all will take

I hope that you all will take your strong attitudes and do something positive in the world we live in. America is what it is - a melting pot of many races, cultures and ideas. Someone needs to turn up the heat to truly get all the lumps out of the soup.. Because we have to identify ourselfs as black, white, or other it means that race is still an issue. An issue that many people are closing their minds to because the race card has been overused and abused. Stupid is as stupid does and what these college kids did was stupid. There parents are sending them to school for an education and if racial insensitivity is the only thing they are learning then we all have a problem. They should also learn life lessons in that all actions have a consequences. They must be accountable for their actions. But most importantly, these students are the same people that will one day become the doctors that treat patients, engineers and business people that will effect our nations economy, and politicians and lawyers that will make decisions for our country that will affect the future of us all. (If every one can do as they please, then remind me again why we are at war with Iraq.........

Think About All of It
Think About All of It 02/02/07 - 11:42 am
SilverCook yes black people

SilverCook yes black people do mock white people, and mexicans, and asians, and chinesse, and also black people. But when white people mock black people they only mock black people. Whites very rearly mock each other.

Think About All of It
Think About All of It 02/02/07 - 11:46 am
justme you are absolutly

justme you are absolutly right. How would you like to represented by one of these students for a crime you didn't committe. Could you see them doing their best to get you off or their best to get you convicted.

buddydawg
buddydawg 02/02/07 - 12:30 pm
You are wrong. White folks

You are wrong. White folks mock other whites MORE than any other group. I really don't think it comes down to making fun at race. It is more like getting down on lifestyle types, wheter it is low life trash, gangsta, high falutents etc... Do you think when I wake up in the morning the first thing on my mind is "Gee, what can I do to keep the black man down today".

owensjef
owensjef 02/02/07 - 01:54 pm
@buddydog Uh uh YES! lol

@buddydog Uh uh YES! lol

stillamazed
stillamazed 02/02/07 - 02:05 pm
AT some point we are all

AT some point we are all offended for one reason or another but we get over it, we don't feel the need to contact the media or the klan or the naacp..... Racism continues because certain groups want it to continue in order to keep their jobs. Everytime someone does something stupid does not mean it is racism. the thing that bothers me most about the whole racism issue is that blacks feel they are the only ones who are affected by it and I know that not to be true. I have been in a bi-racial marriage for 23 years and almost all of the hurtful remarks we have heard over the years have come from the mouths of blacks. Slavery ended along time ago and I do not feel a need to baby anyone over it anymore, i hate that it happened and it was a disgrace to this country but none of this generation of people were responsible for it yet me all are made to feel that we are. I treat all people with kindness and respect so long as they treat me that way and that is what more people need to do.

usafveteran
usafveteran 02/02/07 - 03:21 pm
I wish Dr. Randolph would

I wish Dr. Randolph would give up the hate or go to a third world country...then he would be grateful to God he lives in America.

alleycatblue
alleycatblue 02/02/07 - 03:30 pm
Blacks continue to carry hate

Blacks continue to carry hate ! The NAACP continues to feed it. The blacks need to get over it & quit whinning. They blame all their problems on the whites .The whites are not responsible for blacks problems .It's the hatered the blacks carry in hopes of getting something they didn't earn !

KingJames
KingJames 02/02/07 - 04:07 pm
Think About All of It, I

Think About All of It, I agree with you that we aren't the only ones doing stupid things. I disagree that we look stupid because we're the only ones getting called out. The shame is that you know something is stupid, yet try to defend it. Why don't we have a black president? Because the majority of our kids think it's better to be gangsta than to actually study and make something of themselves. I'm not so brainwashed that I'm being controlled by someone of another race. You, on the other hand, could learn something from Carter G. Woodson. He said in The Miseducation of the Negro, "When you control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his actions. You do not have to tell him not to stand here or go yonder. He will find his "proper place" and will stay in it. You do not need to send him to the back door. He will go without being told. In fact, if there is no back door, he will cut one for his special benefit. His education makes it necessary." All that means is that blacks appear to be happy with the status quo, and don't want to do any better. People shouldn't get upset at someone making fun of the truth. We should be positive and advance ourselves as a people.

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 02/02/07 - 04:37 pm
What a state of affairs. The

What a state of affairs. The NAACP and Rosie are now in the role of moral conscience of this country. HELP ME TOM CRUISE!

daemon99
daemon99 02/02/07 - 04:38 pm
Very well said, KingJames.

Very well said, KingJames. It's nice to know there are a few educated black people out there. It seems many stay ignorant because they choose to, not because education is unavailable to them.