Widow backs ouster of trustees

AIKEN - James Brown's widow applauded efforts by the late singer's children to oust the trustees of his estate, saying Thursday that if they hadn't done it, she would have.

Tomi Rae Hynie Brown said she has not spoken with the elder Brown children.  AP / File
AP / File
Tomi Rae Hynie Brown said she has not spoken with the elder Brown children.

"I think it's a wonderful idea," Tomi Rae Hynie Brown said in a phone interview.

Atlanta attorney Louis Levenson on Wednesday filed papers in Aiken County Probate Court demanding that longtime Brown advisers Buddy Dallas, Alford Bradley and David Cannon be removed as the music legend's personal representatives.

Mr. Levenson, who represents the six children named in Mr. Brown's will and multiple grandchildren, said the three men have been mismanaging his estate and his assets are in danger.

The petition was filed one day after Shawn Thomas, one of the singer's sons-in-law, confronted the men and two others at Mr. Brown's Beech Island property, calling authorities on them and accusing them of trespassing.

A court hearing has been scheduled for Feb. 1.

Mrs. Brown, who is embroiled in her own controversy over her husband's will, said she had been "praying" that his children would move to legally force out the three trustees.

She was banned from the Beech Island estate on Christmas Day, the same day her 73-year-old husband died in an Atlanta hospital.

Mr. Dallas has said that her marriage to Mr. Brown is not valid because the couple never remarried after she had a previous marriage annulled.

He also has questioned the paternity of her 5-year-old son, James Brown II.

Neither was mentioned in Mr. Brown's will, which was drafted more than a year before they married and more than 10 months before the boy was born.

Mrs. Brown has vowed to contest the will and indicated that her own petition will be filed soon.

Mrs. Brown said she's had no contact with her late husband's children since his funeral, and "they've refused to return my calls."

"Regardless of the way I was treated at the funeral, I have to forgive my family, because they are my husband's children," Mrs. Brown said.

She said she fully supports their efforts to remove the trustees, because "I know they've been tricked ... because my husband was tricked, and he was a lot smarter than them."

Mrs. Brown played coy when asked about Internet reports that the singer buried money at his 60-acre estate.

"My husband's from the old school," she said, refusing to confirm the rumors.

After more prompting, she would only say, "My husband did a lot of crazy things."

Reach Sandi Martin at (803) 648-1395, ext. 111, or sandi.martin@augustachronicle.com.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/27/07 - 02:04 pm
How old is Tomi Rae, and how

How old is Tomi Rae, and how old was she when she came into his life?

Rose
Rose 01/27/07 - 02:24 pm
I think she is 38

I think she is 38

devaughny
devaughny 01/27/07 - 03:02 pm
Colgate did you say that you

Colgate did you say that you emailed Art and he email you back. What was the subject of your conversation with him and his respose?

colgate
colgate 01/27/07 - 04:20 pm
I told him our group name and

I told him our group name and that we are praying for her and her son. I said we would like to extend our condolence to her for their loss.
He said he was sure she would appreciate our concern. He thinks she may want to contact us. I can't say much more, but he is very interested in this group. I could only give him my information. I'm telling you, he's very interested. He's waiting on an e-mail.

colgate
colgate 01/27/07 - 04:46 pm
He will recognize you.

He will recognize you.

devaughny
devaughny 01/27/07 - 05:07 pm
You can email me colgate at

You can email me colgate at devaughny@yahoo.com. Once u email me we can go from there,

Rose
Rose 01/27/07 - 05:12 pm
colgate, I sent Art a message

colgate, I sent Art a message too.

Rose
Rose 01/27/07 - 05:29 pm
colgate, I sent it to

colgate, I sent it to art@artharris.com but it came back undeliverable. That is the email address listed on the site.

colgate
colgate 01/27/07 - 05:32 pm
I just clicked the site and

I just clicked the site and sent it that way

colgate
colgate 01/27/07 - 05:40 pm
Alee115, if you can't send

Alee115, if you can't send it, I would like to forward to you what he sent me. It would encourage you.

devaughny
devaughny 01/27/07 - 06:32 pm
Thankyou colgate, I check in

Thankyou colgate, I check in with Art and still waiting on a respose. I forward you a copy of the email...

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/27/07 - 07:56 pm
I told you all I can give her

I told you all I can give her the message directly and in return give you her response. Did you think I was joking?

devaughny
devaughny 01/27/07 - 07:59 pm
Hey Yankees can you give me

Hey Yankees can you give me ur email

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/27/07 - 11:19 pm
I sent you an e-mail.

I sent you an e-mail.

WW1949
WW1949 01/29/07 - 09:59 am
Not taking sides here, but

Not taking sides here, but how does everyone know what the trustees are up to when you are not a part of the legal process?
Mr. Dallas did buy the house because Mr. Brown didn't pay his income, state and property taxes years ago. Their was a big to do about this in the paper and it kept Mr. Brown from loseing the property. I had a contract to reroof the house and James had to get permission from Mr. Dallas to do the work. That was in early 1992 prox. The check given to me by Mr. Brown bounced because Mr. Brown had given me a check on Third World Enterprises which was not even in business at the time. My dealings with Mr. Dallas were on the up and up.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/29/07 - 10:17 pm
bjonesIII that was 15 years

bjonesIII that was 15 years ago. What does any of that have to do with the here and now??? This is 2007 not 1992. I bet you tell that story every chance you get.

WW1949
WW1949 01/29/07 - 10:37 pm
People normally do not change

People normally do not change habits and as everyone in business in Augusta knows, Mr. Brown doesn't have a good credit history. My main point is that none of you know what is going on for sure and just think you do. If Mr. Dallas had let everyone in the house they would be saying "Daddy wanted me to have this and taken things out". I wholehardely agree with all of you that his children are giving Tomi Ray and James, Jr. the shaft. But what can you expect, they sued their father didn' they?
It's all about the musical rights in the trust fund. That is where the money is. I don't agree with most of you saying Mr. Dallas is a crook. James must have trusted him because as YankeesFan says about my comment "that was 15 years ago". Mr. Dallas was his trusted laywer then and also when he died. Mr. Brown left the will the way he did because he knew what his children would do and he didn't trust them. Give the attorneys time to sort thru things and the truth will come out. I understand from a lawyer today that Tomi Ray's marrage to the Pakistani fellow wasn't legal either because he was already married. That's another stick in the ointment. I am waiting to see what happens.

WW1949
WW1949 01/30/07 - 12:08 am
To Yankeesfan, I do things

To Yankeesfan, I do things that help me, not hurt me. Although I respect Mr. Brown for his talent and contribution to music. I don't respect him for his drugs and moral character. He may have given out Turkeys but that doesn't erase his past and present drug use or his abuse to all of his wives and employees.

bovinny
bovinny 09/03/07 - 10:28 am
Ok I have aksed the question

Ok I have aksed the question over and over , why did I not see Maceo at the services for Mr Brown

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.