Widow backs ouster of trustees

AIKEN - James Brown's widow applauded efforts by the late singer's children to oust the trustees of his estate, saying Thursday that if they hadn't done it, she would have.

Tomi Rae Hynie Brown said she has not spoken with the elder Brown children.  AP / File
AP / File
Tomi Rae Hynie Brown said she has not spoken with the elder Brown children.

"I think it's a wonderful idea," Tomi Rae Hynie Brown said in a phone interview.

Atlanta attorney Louis Levenson on Wednesday filed papers in Aiken County Probate Court demanding that longtime Brown advisers Buddy Dallas, Alford Bradley and David Cannon be removed as the music legend's personal representatives.

Mr. Levenson, who represents the six children named in Mr. Brown's will and multiple grandchildren, said the three men have been mismanaging his estate and his assets are in danger.

The petition was filed one day after Shawn Thomas, one of the singer's sons-in-law, confronted the men and two others at Mr. Brown's Beech Island property, calling authorities on them and accusing them of trespassing.

A court hearing has been scheduled for Feb. 1.

Mrs. Brown, who is embroiled in her own controversy over her husband's will, said she had been "praying" that his children would move to legally force out the three trustees.

She was banned from the Beech Island estate on Christmas Day, the same day her 73-year-old husband died in an Atlanta hospital.

Mr. Dallas has said that her marriage to Mr. Brown is not valid because the couple never remarried after she had a previous marriage annulled.

He also has questioned the paternity of her 5-year-old son, James Brown II.

Neither was mentioned in Mr. Brown's will, which was drafted more than a year before they married and more than 10 months before the boy was born.

Mrs. Brown has vowed to contest the will and indicated that her own petition will be filed soon.

Mrs. Brown said she's had no contact with her late husband's children since his funeral, and "they've refused to return my calls."

"Regardless of the way I was treated at the funeral, I have to forgive my family, because they are my husband's children," Mrs. Brown said.

She said she fully supports their efforts to remove the trustees, because "I know they've been tricked ... because my husband was tricked, and he was a lot smarter than them."

Mrs. Brown played coy when asked about Internet reports that the singer buried money at his 60-acre estate.

"My husband's from the old school," she said, refusing to confirm the rumors.

After more prompting, she would only say, "My husband did a lot of crazy things."

Reach Sandi Martin at (803) 648-1395, ext. 111, or sandi.martin@augustachronicle.com.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/26/07 - 03:18 pm
Go Team Tomi Rae!!!!!!!!!

Go Team Tomi Rae!!!!!!!!!

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/26/07 - 03:22 pm
goooooooooo

goooooooooo teammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

colgate
colgate 01/26/07 - 03:24 pm
Thru artharrissite. I

Thru artharrissite. I assumed he would forward as he saw fit.

mrraymondmicheal
mrraymondmicheal 01/26/07 - 03:31 pm
we alll know jb and dallas

we alll know jb and dallas probably did some shady stuff concerning his finances, but i think dallas crossed the line and has gotten caught in his mess, i just pray that james jr is taken care of because if he is mr. browns son he would have wanted him taken care of, honestly i believe money is in the house along with doucumentation of other shell and businesses associated with james brown and i believe their is or was a new will with tomi and james jr in it, regardless of what we think he loved her but they had their problems like any couple, to sum it up dallas destroyed the new will and other doucuments giving tomi say so and control

colgate
colgate 01/26/07 - 04:01 pm
mrraymondmichael, you're

mrraymondmichael, you're alright my man!

colgate
colgate 01/26/07 - 04:08 pm
You know I mentioned the

You know I mentioned the elderly and children because both groups can be helpless. The Master is always looking for someone to help them out. Sometimes the more education you have, the more "good jobs" you have, you stop having that tender heart. But like I said, sometimes when you find yourself going the wrong way stop and change your course. You still got time, if you are breathing.

patnicc
patnicc 01/26/07 - 08:13 pm
Finally the chronicle is

Finally the chronicle is calling Tomi Rae Brown "The Widow"

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 01/26/07 - 08:22 pm
I'm from closer to where BD

I'm from closer to where BD lives and I'm almost 50 and can remember for years hearing he was a crook and a low life. All the old people I heard say it over the years couldn't be wrong...now could they?

LMS2005
LMS2005 01/26/07 - 08:35 pm
Enough is enough

Enough is enough

idnts701
idnts701 01/26/07 - 09:03 pm
If Tomi Rae has to build a

If Tomi Rae has to build a case for herself and little JB, then she should first start with the DNA for little JB. I wonder when will that be done? Can she be legally forced to give a DNA? I hope she isn't legally forced to do the DNA. If she has no doubt about the paternity of little JB and she has said it many times that she would "absolutely" give a DNA because she has no doubt about his paternity, then she needs to do so. The heck with the other six kids and their paternity. At least he (little JB) will know who his (bio) father is, and it will save Tomi Rae a lot of hurt from having to answer questions from him when he ask "where's my daddy" or "why did you keep me from my daddy", etc. A lot of anger comes to surface from children as they get older if they can't find their father, don't know their father, or even know where to look for their father, and in little JB's case he will get old enough to read all the media stories about the questioning of his paternity, and he is going to want some answers. But, the Saga continues...

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 01/26/07 - 09:09 pm
you guys are a freakin trip!!

you guys are a freakin trip!!

are ya'll for real?? or is ths some kinda reality site???
only in augusta could this happen.....and all you freaks are a contributing factor...you guys are a joke...!!!!

jbisgone
jbisgone 01/26/07 - 09:15 pm
We all miss JB, he was an

We all miss JB, he was an original, copied by many, but admired by all...The real truths will begin to come out soon. Time will soon tell if his advisers are clean. I thorough investigation may reveal alot of greed on all sides. Unfortunately, JB met his maker prematurely by trying to keep everything togehter. I am sure he was taken advantage of by those close, related and hired. May JB rest in peace....

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/26/07 - 11:24 pm
I posted on this site WEEKS

I posted on this site WEEKS ago that Cruddy Dallas did not let Tomi Rae in because he was up to no good and he probably was trying to get rid of the most recent will.
It's about time they start calling her Mrs. Brown and acknowledging the fact that she is indeed his WIDOW. I wish she'd sue the pants off of those no good slimy snakes!
Colgate....what other site are you talking about that Tomi Rae post on?

devaughny
devaughny 01/27/07 - 12:42 am
First I what to say whats up

First I what to say whats up Team Tami Rae. Second i want to say, Dallas is a low-life, selfish, heartless, snake son of a -----. Regardless what you heard about him 20 some odd year ago, he's just like the rest of the money hungey sharks. How can a man denied a young child and mother access to the place that they called home. Telling us, "He was trying to protect the estate". Yea he was trying to protect the estate from people entering before him. It was mention that he should be disbared. Infact im going to write the bar myself and see what I can do in the mother and child behave. I truly believe Dallas was trying to steal something from the house that might have exposed him for what he is. What does it mean? Dallas was JB's friend for 20 something years. Well dame, kids kill their own parents. JB did hide money or something of importances in the house. The very security gurad that Dallas hired could not sit idlely by and watch this man run over people. Once the security guard start talking, Dallas is going to bend over and kiss his ivory a-- good bye. Last but not least, keep up the good work Colgate and lets keep on blogging until Dallas becomes an ex-trustee.

devaughny
devaughny 01/27/07 - 12:48 am
You need to get at me Colgate

You need to get at me Colgate regarding that website...

devaughny
devaughny 01/27/07 - 01:01 am
I forgot one thing, For you

I forgot one thing, For you Karmkiller. Why do we have to be freaks to care about a person's human rights? Apparently your the heartless freak. What type of person are you that sit by and watch a person get mistreated and not say a word. Any senseable human being will not sit by and not say nothing. So please go find some morals and leave us normal people alone..

patnicc
patnicc 01/27/07 - 01:20 am
I found this excerpts from

I found this excerpts from one of James Brown interviews he did for the Guardian (UK) June 2004. He mention Little James.

"They" in this context is not the government, but an unspecified authority, which James Brown refers to as if it were formed with the sole purpose of pissing him off. Whatever subject we talk about, he always brings it back to the matter of "their" attempt to bring James Brown low. He has had brushes with the law and served a three-year jail sentence from 1988 after being chased by the police for a public order offence. (He waved a gun at some workers in the office next to his and accused them of using his toilet without his permission.) He still has the truck which he was driving when the police chased him, which he intends to pass on to his three-year-old son when he's old enough as a "symbol of injustice".

devaughny
devaughny 01/27/07 - 01:33 am
its not a question of, Was he

its not a question of, Was he JB son. Its a question of will Dallas accept JB jr as James Brown son...

OtisSledge
OtisSledge 01/27/07 - 04:23 am
Do you people who side with

Do you people who side with Tomi Rae even care how abusive, hurtful and unloving she was to James Brown? She shattered the heart of that old man beyond repair, and continued to run around and use him until his death. What else does a dead man need to do to make it obvious that there was no love in his heart for her? Is it just because he was too proud and kind in the end to not tell YOU or go public about his true feelings for her, that he now must continue to support her shenanigans and selfish lifestyle in perpetuity? Reading the opinions of all the pro Tomi Rae people who have no clue about their true relationship is priceless. Now James II is another story. Otis

colgate
colgate 01/27/07 - 08:10 am
I went on the

I went on the www.artharris.com site. Under the story titled "Bombshell Exclusive-Fire the trustees" at the end of that article it show comments. That's where I posted it. Also on the upper left side of the home page you can e-mail Art direct , so I sent a message to him.

GO TEAM TOMI RAE!!!

He was all up on her two days before he died with that phone call. We're just saying if he never got the marriage annulled, she is legally his widow. Besides, what's it to you if we want to support her? You do what you do, we do what we do.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/27/07 - 09:59 am
You haters can post all of

You haters can post all of the negative b/s that you want. It doesn't change the fact that Tomi Rae is James Brown's widow. DNA tests or no DNA tests, Lil James is James Brown's son.
GO TEAM TOMI RAE!

colgate
colgate 01/27/07 - 10:22 am
Team Tomi Rae!!! WAKE

Team Tomi Rae!!!

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Please go to the Art Harris site. He answered me back. He wants to talk to us. Let me know if I can give him your info. TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colgate
colgate 01/27/07 - 10:24 am
I would only direct him to

I would only direct him to our posts of course.

colgate
colgate 01/27/07 - 10:46 am
Ok, I can't give him your

Ok, I can't give him your info, because I don't know your info. But, you now have the real info, so do what you do.
He said Mrs. Brown would be appreciative for the condolence.

We're on it, it's your birthday!!!!!!

GO TEAM TOMI RAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long Island NY
Long Island NY 01/27/07 - 11:23 am
Otis Sledge, you are so right

Otis Sledge, you are so right about Tomi Rae's behaviour toward James Brown. I never did understand why he tolerated her actions as much as he did. People out there, you can believe what you want but I am here to tell you that Ms. Hynie was out for what she could get, and also, she is not the widow of James Brown. I wish there will be a DNA test in the near future for the child's sake. After the result is known then maybe she will fess up to who the REAL BABY DADDY IS. She knows. The lies from her must STOP. If there is valuables hidden on the property I can assure you that they were hidden from her. By the way to those who are trying to stabilize in their head that I must be a Tomi Rae hater trust me when I say that I can assure you that I can come up with something much much better to hate on. Another thing, just because Ms. Hynie is addressed as Tomi Rae Brown the widow of James Brown doesn't legalize the situation. As for Dallas, I do hope that he is exposed for all of his years of wrong doings toward JB. Have a great weekend. The weather here (Long Island) today is bitter cold.

devaughny
devaughny 01/27/07 - 12:08 pm
Wait hold on, Colgate? are u

Wait hold on, Colgate? are u communicating with Art and in return he is talking to Tami. If that is happening tell us have she been reading our posting and how does she feel about the out pouring of support we have for her?

colgate
colgate 01/27/07 - 01:02 pm
He interviwed her for some of

He interviwed her for some of his articles, so he does know how to contact her. He said she would be happy for the support. After all, she never got to properly deal with her grief. She did live with him. It would probably be best for her to not deal with some negative comments from this site right now. Let her know there are some people that know what it is to lose someone dear to you.
Thanks devaughny for finding that site.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/27/07 - 01:31 pm
Who do y'all think should

Who do y'all think should play Tomi Rae in Spike Lee's JB movie? You know, in that movie taking place in Savannah, (MITGOG&E) they let "Chablis" play her/himself. Maybe Tomi Rae could play herself. Do you think she has the talent? Otherwise, who would you like to see in her part?

ruulllee
ruulllee 01/27/07 - 01:52 pm
OS, did you hear the message

OS, did you hear the message on Tomi Rae's phone from JB the day before he died telling her he loved her? Your statement about him not having any love in his heart for her ACCORDING TO YOUR OPINION seems to go against what James Brown HIMSELF said on the phone.

Rose
Rose 01/27/07 - 01:53 pm
Jamie Leigh Curtis would be

Jamie Leigh Curtis would be good in the movie. I can't think of the other one. She usually plays in comedies. She was on Oprah before and after she lost a lot of weight.I can't think of her name, but she could play Tomie Rae in a movie.