Widow backs ouster of trustees

AIKEN - James Brown's widow applauded efforts by the late singer's children to oust the trustees of his estate, saying Thursday that if they hadn't done it, she would have.

Tomi Rae Hynie Brown said she has not spoken with the elder Brown children.  AP / File
AP / File
Tomi Rae Hynie Brown said she has not spoken with the elder Brown children.

"I think it's a wonderful idea," Tomi Rae Hynie Brown said in a phone interview.

Atlanta attorney Louis Levenson on Wednesday filed papers in Aiken County Probate Court demanding that longtime Brown advisers Buddy Dallas, Alford Bradley and David Cannon be removed as the music legend's personal representatives.

Mr. Levenson, who represents the six children named in Mr. Brown's will and multiple grandchildren, said the three men have been mismanaging his estate and his assets are in danger.

The petition was filed one day after Shawn Thomas, one of the singer's sons-in-law, confronted the men and two others at Mr. Brown's Beech Island property, calling authorities on them and accusing them of trespassing.

A court hearing has been scheduled for Feb. 1.

Mrs. Brown, who is embroiled in her own controversy over her husband's will, said she had been "praying" that his children would move to legally force out the three trustees.

She was banned from the Beech Island estate on Christmas Day, the same day her 73-year-old husband died in an Atlanta hospital.

Mr. Dallas has said that her marriage to Mr. Brown is not valid because the couple never remarried after she had a previous marriage annulled.

He also has questioned the paternity of her 5-year-old son, James Brown II.

Neither was mentioned in Mr. Brown's will, which was drafted more than a year before they married and more than 10 months before the boy was born.

Mrs. Brown has vowed to contest the will and indicated that her own petition will be filed soon.

Mrs. Brown said she's had no contact with her late husband's children since his funeral, and "they've refused to return my calls."

"Regardless of the way I was treated at the funeral, I have to forgive my family, because they are my husband's children," Mrs. Brown said.

She said she fully supports their efforts to remove the trustees, because "I know they've been tricked ... because my husband was tricked, and he was a lot smarter than them."

Mrs. Brown played coy when asked about Internet reports that the singer buried money at his 60-acre estate.

"My husband's from the old school," she said, refusing to confirm the rumors.

After more prompting, she would only say, "My husband did a lot of crazy things."

Reach Sandi Martin at (803) 648-1395, ext. 111, or sandi.martin@augustachronicle.com.

colgate
colgate 01/26/07 - 06:54 am
Older people especially

Older people especially people that grew up in the depression era often didn't trust banks and righfully so. Banks will tie your own money up to where you can't even get it.
Devaughny did you see on the artharris site where the security guard saw Big D taking things out of the safe and is going to testify?

What is the one thing that most people that have commented have in common? Answer: No one seems to trust Big D. Those other "silent" trustess seem to not have any input.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/26/07 - 08:04 am
Team Tomi Rae!!!!!!!!

Team Tomi Rae!!!!!!!!

getalife
getalife 01/26/07 - 08:08 am
How do we know if the will

How do we know if the will presented is really James Brown's last will. If it is, James really left a mess. I don't think James trusted any of his kids, they had sued him before.

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/26/07 - 08:10 am
TEAM TOMI RAE Good Morning

TEAM TOMI RAE Good Morning Girls!! Looks like Mr. Dallas wasnt as smart as he thought he was huh??

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/26/07 - 08:18 am
His kids weren't by his side

His kids weren't by his side like his wife. Yamma even said she didn't see her father much and she lived two hours away. Those kids just don't want someone else getting that money. They don't want Tomi Rae in the house because she knows where he hid all the money around the house. Those lawyers were there to see what they could get their hands on. The truth will come to life though. Team Tomi Rae!!!!!!!!!!!

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/26/07 - 08:20 am
She knows where the real

She knows where the real money is!!!!!

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/26/07 - 08:33 am
I think she'll be okay with

I think she'll be okay with just whats "hanging around the house" so to speak she knows where it is, nobody else does...and she wont tell anybody....GO TEAM TOMI RAE!!!!!

BlackJack7
BlackJack7 01/26/07 - 08:52 am
hold up spike lee!!! halt the

hold up spike lee!!! halt the filming!!! even though he's gone, james brown's SAGA is faaaaaaar from over!!!

fergie01
fergie01 01/26/07 - 08:58 am
go team tomi rae...i hope he

go team tomi rae...i hope he did hide alot of money. and i hope that cruddy doesn't know where it is at. james brown might have entrusted cruddy with some stuff..but i don't think the man trusted anyone. hey let"s diassemble the house. bet some is in the walls that tomi doesn't even know about.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 01/26/07 - 09:10 am
Colgate, you're right about

Colgate, you're right about older people hiding money -- and not just in a mattress. I think it was proably cause of the Depression. Why wouldn't those attorneys let the family know they were going to enter the property . Sounds like something sure smells doesn't it? Buddy's always been a crook and always will be!
GO TEAM TOMI RAE!!!!!!!!

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/26/07 - 09:15 am
My great uncle still hides

My great uncle still hides money around his house till this day. He doesn't believe in banks, so he hides his money and he tells me he's going to leave a treasure map for us to find it. LOL!! He thinks just like that!!

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/26/07 - 09:23 am
no kidding Payback67, I

no kidding Payback67, I totally agree lol

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/26/07 - 09:30 am
Doesnt the house belong to

Doesnt the house belong to Cruddy though?? because of the tax mess awhile back?

colgate
colgate 01/26/07 - 09:57 am
The house is in the trust

The house is in the trust agreement as belonging to the trustee's. But if the will, trustee agreement is in limbo, according to the papers filed by the children, I don't thin he and whomever those other people were was suppose to remove anything from it. How many times has Big D been in there already? Tomi Rae never even got to get her belongings out of there. She said on another site that James gave her the house and $20,000.00 monthly.

Yeah TEAM TOMI RAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colgate
colgate 01/26/07 - 10:03 am
I think the trust agreement

I think the trust agreement was also a shelter for tax purposes. However, Big D & others could set up a trust fund for "Little Man" . We're talking mega bucks. It's probably enough to bequeath each adult and Tomi Rae millions.

Big D and others just do the right thing. You're an old man. You're going to have to answer for leaving a child out in the cold like that, while you were in possession of the money. The adult heirs are also going to have to answer to a higher authority for how they treated that little boy.

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/26/07 - 10:16 am
Yeah, thats true, but I had

Yeah, thats true, but I had heard that JB had lost the house back when he had his tax problems, and Dallas had bought the house at auction? could be bad reporting, was just wondering......this should really do him in in Augusta, hes such a CROOK,, but the kids are up to something to? what was his son-in law doing there?

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/26/07 - 10:31 am
I think the Security Guards

I think the Security Guards called someone from his family over to the house. He witness BD going around searching for things behind pictures and etc. He called someone and they called the police. He tried to block them inside the gate before the police got there. You see no one knows where the money is, but Tomi Rae!!! The family should play nice with her, but they are as vindictive as his lawyers.

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/26/07 - 10:45 am
well, they're screwing

well, they're screwing themselves!! but thats what greed gets ya!!! and I bet she'll know what Buddy has taken out of that house as well!!! and she'll be the only one to know whats missing!!! I think he might loose his bar over this one...I hope so,,

stillamazed
stillamazed 01/26/07 - 10:47 am
They are all a bunch of money

They are all a bunch of money grubbing fools, money is what they are all about. The ONLY innocent person in this whole mess is a child to young to understand it all and he is the one I have sympathy for whether he turns out to be James Brown blood or not. It is such a shame that family and so called people you trust can be so dirty and money hungry but hey that is the American way right? Look out for number one and the heck with everyone else.

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/26/07 - 10:53 am
People do crazy stuff after

People do crazy stuff after people die, and 9 times out of 10 they get stupid like that....they should do a study on it....

stillamazed
stillamazed 01/26/07 - 10:56 am
Well, this certainly isn't

Well, this certainly isn't the first fight over a dead celebs money and it certainly will not be the last that is for sure. I really don't believe that James Brown left that child out of his will, I will never believe that!!!!!

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/26/07 - 11:22 am
I dont think he did, we

I dont think he did, we think there is a newer will that may have been destroyed or maybe not uncovered yet. And its not only celebs, its normal people that act like that, Ive seen it.

lilaug2005
lilaug2005 01/26/07 - 11:54 am
Hey PayBack67... lol.... Now

Hey PayBack67... lol.... Now thats real talk!!!!!!

ike5jean
ike5jean 01/26/07 - 12:07 pm
I live in Florida and my will

I live in Florida and my will has been filed with the Clerk of Court at the County Courthouse. Do they do this in Ga. and SC.? When I die there should not be any question as to my wishes.

crystalball
crystalball 01/26/07 - 12:18 pm
Where were James Brown's

Where were James Brown's children and Crazy Tomi Rae when he was in the hospital? It was Christmas weekend so work was not an interference. If he was my father I would have been by his side. Mr. Brown's final resting place has not been decided but boy the family and Tomi Rae are really fighting for the money. James Brown did business with my father and I can assure you that if he did not trust his Trustees that change would have been made. He had a 24 year relationship with Attorney Buddy Dallas that would not have happened if he had not trusted Mr. Dallas. The children had sued him. Tomi Rae
called the police on him. Do you really think he trusted either?
They got plenty out of Mr. Brown while he was living. The "Will" is saying something to them. Maybe taking a step back would help the family and Tomi Rae. I imagine James Brown is singing "I Feel Good' in heaven. He won in the end.

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/26/07 - 12:28 pm
Mr. Dallas is no good, and

Mr. Dallas is no good, and in as much as he may of been good to JB, hes gone now, so hes gonna try to screw who he can, how he can, for as much as he can, and James cant say anything now. I know the browns, not through a work relationship, I dont know how you can read people just because they did business with your father.

0122 01/26/07 - 12:56 pm
Everyone should mind their

Everyone should mind their own business. If this has taught you anything, it should teach you to have a will and update it as needed. For all of the people with comments; do you have a will? How will your family conduct itself once you are gone? Even if you have nothing, a will is still a necessary thing. Let the man rest in peace. Everything will come to pass anyway!

qtpieaug
qtpieaug 01/26/07 - 01:30 pm
Amen to 0122 comment! I have

Amen to 0122 comment! I have seen people fighting over appliances when someone die, so it's not just celebraties. We all need to get a will and have our business in order. You never know when it's going to be your day. Christmas Eve when Mr. Brown went in the hospital, Tomi Rae was in a Rehab, his daughter, Deanna was out of the country. As for the other children, I don't know, buy Yamma was the one who went to the hospital with him. Yamma stays in Atlanta, so she was the closest relative to get to the hospital. His manager, Mr. Bobbitt, was also there by his side the whole time.

colgate
colgate 01/26/07 - 01:45 pm
I'd rather err on the side of

I'd rather err on the side of wrong than to not care for an elderly person or a child. Whether you believed it is his son or not,look like somebody w/a Godly background would have at least included his name in with the other children in that suit.
If dad owned him all these years you all should too. Besides aren't most of you all half brothers and sisters? Whats' the difference.

Team Tomi Rae,
I forwarded thru a third party an e-mail to Mrs. Tomi Rae Hynie-Brown w/our condolences.

GO TEAM TOMI RAE!!!!!!!!!!

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/26/07 - 02:13 pm
Colgate, how did you do

Colgate, how did you do that?? GO TEAM TOMI RAE!@!!!!!!