Abortion has become the deadliest deception of our time

We recently had the opportunity to experience one of those times of how great it is to be an American, with the passing of former President Gerald Ford. Weren't our hearts warmed as attention focused on his honesty, goodness, integrity and courage?

Remembering Ford's life recalled a bright light in dark times, his tenure in the wake of so much upheaval and chaos. Americans had experienced the assassination of President John F. Kennedy; the assassination of his humanitarian brother Robert; the assassination of civil rights champion the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., our leading black American; and the raging war in Vietnam.

AMID SUCH TIMES, our Supreme Court ruled in the Roe v. Wade case, allowing the legalization of abortion on demand, for any reason, at any time up until birth. This ruling basically stated that an unborn child had no rights. Turbulent and traumatic times can knock us off clear thinking and our ability to pay attention. Perhaps that's why we were hardly looking on Jan. 22, 1973, when the high court heard this case. As Americans, maybe deaths, assassinations, broken dreams and presidential deception had opened us to the deadliest deception of our time: abortion.

Looking back on those times, I have to confess, I was guilty by default along with countless other Americans. I don't even remember reading the court's ruling in the paper that day. It was of little interest to me.

But in the coming years, everything changed for us. Suddenly we were no longer exempt from the issue. We had met the truth, and our eyes had been opened. It was something to behold. But not all was pretty - much of it was downright appalling.

In 1983, on a weekend visit to Augusta on the Roe vs. Wade anniversary date, we joined many others in watching the video The Silent Scream, which graphically showed the abortion of an 11-week-old fetus. After seeing that film, abortion became very personal, and I knew that I had to be more pro-active in the fight against "legalized" abortion. All doubts had been removed.

This was no longer a debate- no longer "some tissue"- no longer "just a fetus"- and no longer abstract, certainly not political. This was the killing of one loved by God, and only God could have known what great plans He had for this child or all the others being aborted. These young humans were deemed to be unworthy to live the life God had given and assigned them.

Abortion - that great deception - has pillaged America for 34 years now. The death toll in America has passed 45 million - approximately 1.3 million each year. In Augusta alone, the toll is approximately 60,000, the great majority at the hands of Planned Parenthood - although in recent years, Women's Preferred Health Center in west Augusta has done the most. These figures are based on vital statistics recorded by the state of Georgia; each death must be reported.

Of course, those statistics cover only the death of aborted infants. They don't account for the untold loss of lives and families that would have come forth had they been given a chance to live.

All the while, Planned Parenthood, the nation's largest abortion provider - operating under the guise of "reproductive health care" - has taken in huge abortion revenue, largely at the expense of taxpayers!

AS MORE WORK has been done by Right to Life and others, the laws have gradually been strengthened. Parental notification and a 24-hour waiting period, now part of the law in Georgia, move abortion further from a clandestine, impulsive act, and reduce the numbers of abortion considerably. Many abortions wouldn't be carried out if just given more time and thought.

Laws and standards pertaining to abortion clinics have tightened, causing many clinics to close. The number of practicing abortionists declines regularly as risks go up. Americans are seeing this, and their eyes and minds are being opened. Some states will soon outlaw abortion altogether.

Pro-life advocates have long been there to help the expectant mothers in distress whoever they were. Most notably, Care Pregnancy Centers - nationally and two locally - offer every service needed from pregnancy test, counseling, sonograms right on through delivery. Also, if adoption is the best solution, there is plenty of help in getting this in place. A long list of good people wait in hope of adopting. Even in cases of rape and incest, a baby in America should never have to die for lack of a home!

At a textile plant in Graniteville, S.C., there was a terrible train wreck two years ago. Tank cars carrying chlorine burst open releasing a killer chlorine spill. Nine people were killed, hundreds were injured and the plant was devastated. Many of us were surprised, not knowing the lethal power of chlorine. Those who worked in the plant knew, and those who had time ran for their lives. Unfortunately, not knowing the lethal power of chlorine doesn't make it any less deadly.

In 1973, the forces of evil unleashed a "death spill" in America with legalized abortion - and the death spill that pours from those clinics has been devastating.

It has been said that America will be great as long as America is good. Thirty-four years ago, America got morally derailed, and that inherent goodness we always had as a people got seriously compromised.

Again we stand at a crossroads this Roe v Wade weekend. Will we as Americans stand up for the defenseless unborn, the sanctity of life and the future of this great country - or will we deny our future generations life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Will be give America over to the death dealers - and mediocrity - or worse?

It's our choice.

(Editor's note: The writer has been an Augusta pro-life activist for more than 20 years, and is a member of the Alleluia Community in Augusta.)

mgroothand
mgroothand 01/21/07 - 10:29 am
After all these years of

After all these years of arguing the abortion issue and even killing (other than the unborn) in the name of abortion, I have come to one conclusion:
The male of our species are the most vocal on this issue and should shut up. This is a female issue and unless a wife seeks an abortion without the husband's knowledge or consent, it should be only their decision. Single women do not need to hear the rantings of men who will never become pregnant and will never understand what the woman is going through, physically and emotionaly. For the rest of her life the woman will remember and sometimes agonize over her decision. To a man it is often the disobedience that bothers him the most.

tombee
tombee 01/21/07 - 02:48 pm
The issue is not the woman or

The issue is not the woman or the man. It is about the growing child. When folks start talking about the woman or man only, they are really sidestepping the issue.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/21/07 - 06:10 pm
IS it a child or isn't it?

IS it a child or isn't it? How do you know? Until R-to-L people also vote for a party that HELPS a woman struggling to raise a child, they should shut up. They should also shut up if they are using abortion as a reason to not fund birth control clinics. They should shut up if they chose to vote for a R-to-L party strictly for that reason, getting us into a disastrous poorly planned war that is killing Americans who ARE real human beings. I would much rather have saved those lives. You should shut up if you really think those politicians believe what they claim to believe. They can afford to send their women somewhere else in the world for an abortion, and you better believe they will, too! "Help" during a pregnancy just to keep her from aborting is no help at all, and is irresponsible when, once the child is born, the woman is on her own and you forget her. Who really thinks there are oodles of homes waiting to adopt a minority infant? Self-righteous saints who talk about people having made the decision to have sex should shut up. If you are R-to-L, fine: but consider the repercussions, and back up your opinion with hard science or definitive scripture.

LaTwon
LaTwon 01/21/07 - 06:50 pm
what a shame that women, the

what a shame that women, the self proclaimed givers of life, the nurturer, the mother, the one who always gets the children in divorce, have become so warped that their primary political concern is the right to murder unborn children. i always thought it ironic that local gov't pushed to close down the titty bars on one end of broad street when there is a death chamber on the other end.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/21/07 - 07:34 pm
LaTwon, I like your rhetoric

LaTwon, I like your rhetoric and you made good points, but still, is it a child, or a bit of protoplasm that becomes human at birth? Is it a parasitic growth in the woman's body? Is abortion any more than killing animals? I know this probably sounds upsetting, but emotions and feelings are not facts. How can we know? So far, all I have found are opinions.

LaTwon
LaTwon 01/21/07 - 09:08 pm
you may have more trouble if

you may have more trouble if you killed an animal. what does that say for our society? as we have killed 45 million babies, or prospective babies you decide, we have killed the rhythm of our culture. in order to make our social programs work and meet the never ending need of gov't for taxes, we have replaced these unfortunate souls with people from all over the world that do not care about our heritage, traditions, and in the end i fear we will find that we have killed ourselves..............

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/21/07 - 09:41 pm
Are there souls in the

Are there souls in the unborn? Are souls injected into the ovum at the moment of conception, along with the sperm? We have to reconcile that position with the infertility clinics and frozen embryos. Do you find that immoral? Lots of Pro-life people do. Except for capitalization, (It looks as though, like myself, you do a lot of IM’ing.) you write better than anyone I have come across in these forums. It is still opinion, and as long no one has facts or hard scripture to support that opinion, I am afraid we must have Choice.

lmbutler123
lmbutler123 01/23/07 - 06:05 am
Have you once walked in the

Have you once walked in the shoes of a woman who has had to make this decision? Have you once been on the receiving end of: "I'm pregnant"? Until you have walked in a persons shoes, shut up. You can argue the right and wrong of this decision until the cows come home but it isn't REAL until you have to make this decision.

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 01/23/07 - 08:39 am
The Bible records that John

The Bible records that John the Baptist lept in his mother's womb when Mary announced to Elizabeth that she was pregnant. If you have faith that the Bible is the infallible word of God, then you should believe that life begins in the womb, not at birth.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/23/07 - 08:40 am
CUR, you are a poorly

CUR, you are a poorly informed toad. You have no idea what you are talking about, and besides that, you are just plain rude. If you choose to be pro-abortion, fine; it's your choice to make and it's your choice to be accountable for making. If there are others who have a strong moral conviction that it is evil to kill innocent, unborn human life, then who the heck are you to look down on them. This is especially true of people like the author of this article who has, in more ways than you could ever know, given the substance of his own life for the sake of both the unborn AND their mothers. What have you personally sacrificed for anyone besides perhaps your own family? And I'm not talking about giving from your "extra" or discretionary income you might have; I'm talking about going without so that an unborn child might live and thrive with its own mother or an adoptive family? Most pro-lifers don't advocate articifial birth control, but rather ABSTINANCE and sexual morality, so why would they support Planned Parenthood even if it didn't kill the unborn?. You should know what you're talking about before you write such a screech.

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 01/23/07 - 08:41 am
From personal experience, I

From personal experience, I had a sonogram of my first child at 14 weeks. In her sonogram pictures, I was able to see her little legs crossed, and I was able to identify all 10 toes. Anyone who would argue that she wasn't a life at that point is ignorant.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/23/07 - 08:47 am
And also, CUR, since you used

And also, CUR, since you used our war casualties to shore up you false argument, I have a question for you: Do you think we should have just continued to stand idly by while Saddam Hussein and his family and friends tortured and murdered huge segments of his own citizenry, while he also manipulated the economies of the rest of the world's nation according to his clearly perverse and souless whims? Perhaps our plan was bad or poorly executed, but we did what we have always eventually done: We went to help, even allowing some of our children to give their own lives for the sake of others' lives and their liberty.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/23/07 - 09:01 am
And one last thing, CUR: If

And one last thing, CUR: If there is some question as to whether or not the unborn human life--we should at least be able to agree that it is human-- acutually has a soul or not, wouldn't it be better to err on the side of letting it live until we are sure? If they do have souls or some intrinsic eternal identity and you abort, it's murder. If they don't but you let them live, you get A BABY, which somebody, somewhere wants. So, why would you not let it live, especially given all the resources that really and truly are available? Embarrassment, inconvenience, vanity, expense? I can only come up with selfish reasons that a parent would choose to kill its own child.

LaTwon
LaTwon 01/23/07 - 10:51 am
this spring when i put my

this spring when i put my seeds in the soil and the small plant comes pushing thru the soil and is 2 inches tall, will it still be a tomato plant although it has yet to produce fruit? does it only become a tomato plant once it produces tomatos? anyone that believes that life does not begin at conception is in denial.

having come from a broken family,thankfully conceived prior to roe vs wade, abandoned by both parents and raised by the mercy of others, i much prefer this life opposed to being a discarded pile of protoplasm in a dumpster behind some clinic.

Dblocs
Dblocs 01/23/07 - 11:16 am
I agree with LaTwon in that I

I agree with LaTwon in that I believe life begins at conception, but I also believe that a woman has the right and only her to terminate a pregnancy. If we start puting limitations on that we defeat the purpose of CHOICE!!!

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/23/07 - 11:20 am
LaTwon, you are a perfect

LaTwon, you are a perfect example of what I have been writing about. (And you express things so well.) The truth about the reality of being or personhood actually is that it's only a matter of degree rather than essence. Newborns depend on their mothers as completely as they did the day before their births, as they did 3 months before their births. The whole process of growing into a fully mature--some might say "fully human"-- person, from conception on, is one of depending less and less on others and taking on more and more personal responsibility for one's life and the lives of others. Abortion is the complete abdication of that responsibility, at the cost of another life, regardless of how that life is defined. We can't even legally kill a dog or cat just because it is an inconvient presence in our lives. How much more should that apply to something known to be human?

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/23/07 - 11:31 am
Dblocs: You always have a

Dblocs: You always have a choice, even if some options are illegal or immoral. You always have free will, even if there are big obstacles to overcome and possibly severe consequences. I don't think most of us have a clue about the ultimate (eternal?) consequences of many of our choices, although most of the world's religions do try to educate us on them. Most Americans I know are too committed to the Church of Me, Myself and I to understand or care about much beyond the god, SELF, whose chief tenet of belief is "If IT interferes in my life more than "I" can put up with, I'm completely within my rights get rid of IT, no matter what IT is."

Dblocs
Dblocs 01/23/07 - 02:08 pm
WorriedAboutOurFuture:What if

WorriedAboutOurFuture:What if I was raped and didn't want my child to grow up knowing he was a product of a violent crime? Yes there is adoption, but wouldn't that child once knowing he/she was given up, want to know how they came to be? I'm a 35 year old woman who has never been pregnant not because I don't want to have children, but because I'm barely making it myself and it would be injust for me to bring a child into this world i couldn't take care of, that's my choice.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/23/07 - 03:21 pm
WAOF, you have no idea, not

WAOF, you have no idea, not if you lived a thousand lives, how much I gave up so that my child could live. I, of all people, have a right to say, let the woman chose which way she believes, since it is only a matter of opinion. Give her the benefit of the doubt; she is very real. I have no discretionary income, and lousy health. If pro-lifers can attempt to gross people out with images, I can paint gross images with words. It is idiocy to oppose abortion and birth control, both. People will not practice abstinence from sex, be realistic. You offer no sensible solutions or arguments. Initially I supported the war, not Bush, and my retired military husband and I soon saw the mess made of it. I never called anyone a toad; if you think I was rude, gosh, what were you? Why do people go ballistic over this topic, and lose all sense of proportion? I don't wish to force my beliefs on others; I just wish to express them. You, however, want to see the law changed to reflect your own view. I don't believe anyone has any right to limit the spending of every penny of taxes they pay to things with which they personally agree. Pro-lifers should not have that privilege if the rest of us don’t.

Ms. Opinionated
Ms. Opinionated 01/23/07 - 04:16 pm
This was, is, and always will

This was, is, and always will be a very emotional and heated topic of discussion. Unfortunately, there seems to be no grey area here. I was 100% pro-life until I was faced with the decision myself. When I was, I was extremely thankful that no one had already made the decision for me. Whether or not to have an abortion is the right of the woman, no matter how many want to condemn it. The reason that it is the right of the woman is because Roe v. Wade legalized abortion, no matter how much we chat about it or oppose it. It will be a long time, if ever, before it is repealed. Long before abortion was legalized, many women had them performed illegally, and many will do so again if need be. Few of them were ever prosecuted for having done so. What did happen was that many lost their lives due to unsafe & unsanitary conditions during the abortion. Legalizing abortion made it a safer alternative, and saved the lives of many women (whom there is no argument were people). Those of you who tout God & the bible for your name calling and finger pointing, should also remember that none of us has the right to judge another person. Judge not lest ye be judged, I think is how it goes.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/23/07 - 04:18 pm
So far, I don't think I

So far, I don't think I mentioned taxes. And yes, I probably have first hand understanding, or at least a very good idea of what you might have given up so your child could live. And yes, despite the absolute collapse of sexual morality in our country, people are able to-- and some still do-- practice abstinance, just not so much in the last 35 years. And yes, there are innumerable sensible solutions available to pregnant women, and plenty of people who would help if given a chance. And as for going ballistic, consider this: if you witness someone defenseless being murdered in cold blood, and you could safely stop it without injuring anyone, do you think your response should be "proportional", or would you rush to their aid? Well that, dear CUR, is how I see this situation. But not to worry: we all will know the Truth about this someday. If I am wrong, well, at least I haven't anything I will regret. But if I'm right, how are we going to answer for all those millions and millions of innocent children?

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/23/07 - 04:48 pm
So far, Candace, no one has

So far, Candace, no one has been called any names for being pro-abortion but for blasting off opinions that have nothing but feelings to support them. Prolifers, on the other hand, always are called idiots, as if they are just too dim to see that abortion and birth control are reasonable courses of action for any modern woman to select, as well as being legal. It isn't finger-pointing to say that it is wrong to kill people and to believe that unborn babies are people. There is a kind of despair that comes with the realiziation that so many of us can just blow that idea off even as a possibility. And then there are the rationalizations--"it's (probably) not a person","it's just tissue", "it's MY body and MY life". which all go along with getting very huffy that someone might have the effrontery to SUGGEST there might be more important considerations than a woman's right to choose. It isn't judgmental to say that I believe you are wrong. And I do believe you are wrong.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/23/07 - 04:49 pm
(And, since you want to

(And, since you want to "quote" scripture to me, perhaps you recall that we actually are exhorted to judge fairly, soberly, with discernment, and not according to appearances, because that is the measure by which we ourselves will be judged. Did you read far enough to get to that part?)

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/23/07 - 06:47 pm
WAOF, you are the one who

WAOF, you are the one who only has feelings to support your position. You have given me neither science nor scripture to support it. Since I don't believe an embryo is a person who can be murdered, your graphic description does not apply to me. If we know the truth someday, and you are wrong, then you will have been responsible for untold misery and suffering. What options are there for a woman who chooses to have her child and cannot afford to provide for it? Who is going to be there to help her if she is not poor enough for welfare but too poor to provide for the child and herself? Where will you be when the kid is ten years old and needs shoes? What about a woman who is unstable and abuses the child? Where will you be? Where are the adoptive homes for black infants? I think your problem is with sex, not abortion or birth control. You referred to taxes when you mentioned not supporting Planned Parenthood. You need to find someone else to speak for your side, because you are too radical to be convincing. You need to shut up before you have people coming over to my side.

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 01/23/07 - 08:30 pm
ALL: Yes, we do have free

ALL: Yes, we do have free will, and yes, we need to use that free will to make choices, BUT, even though having the ability to choose (free will) is a good thing, that does not IMPLY that the choices we make with that free will will always be good/correct ones. I would challenge all you pro-choicer out there to see The Silent Scream, just as a matter of educating yourself, to the reality of what your choice entails. Also see the 4D ultrasound pictures available online. What you will see are not figments of your imagination or computer animated feature presentations. They are real. Then come back and tell us if your choice has no consequence and is not inflicting harm on an innocent human being, that if given the chance to live, can become part of a loving family, even if not your own, through adoption. Women, don't fall for the abortion lie: far from liberating us, abortion makes us even more of a tool for evil and selfish men to abuse and use for their pleasure. Choose to respect yourselves as women and you will eventually respect the awesome power you have to carry life inside of you.Men, choose to respect women and honor their gift to carry life inside of them.

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 01/23/07 - 08:37 pm
CURMUDGEON: You ask: What

CURMUDGEON: You ask: What options are there for a woman who chooses to have her child and cannot afford to provide for it? Who is going to be there to help her if she is not poor enough for welfare but too poor to provide for the child and herself? Where will you be when the kid is ten years old and needs shoes? What about a woman who is unstable and abuses the child? Where will you be? Where are the adoptive homes for black infants? . I answer: MOther Theresa has asked that any one that does not want a child can give it to her homes and the sisters will take care of them, ALL of them. But please, do not kill them. The innocent must not die so that the selfish must live!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/23/07 - 09:36 pm
I would imagine I would not

I would imagine I would not find watching operations at the slaughterhouse comfortable, either. Mother Theresa was not here in this country when she was alive. Where are you suggesting we send our unwanted black infants? Your problem, too, seems to be sex. Find someone more mainstream for this debate.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/23/07 - 11:27 pm
CUR: There have been dozens

CUR: There have been dozens of black infants from this area who have been fostered briefly by more than one relatively well off family in this area before they went on to their new adoptive families all over the country. And they weren't here long. That is one fact for you. Another is that I personally have among my friends and relations those who have adopted black, bi-racial and special needs children, some decades ago even with their biological children. And it's more than just a few families, just in my own circle of friends. That is another fact. There is no way you would ever know how I do or don't put my money where my mouth is, and obviously I won't answer you more specifically. Nevertheless, apart from my own actions to assist people in need and the person-to-perrson generousity of people I know well and love, virtually any of the churches in Augusta has resources and numerous contacts to help a mother like the one you describe. Catholic Social Services or the 30906 Project are two other options that jump to mind. Poverty, economic hardship, even mental illness and the possibility of abuse are reasons to call for help, not for denying a baby its right to life.

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 01/23/07 - 11:50 pm
I'd like to know how you

I'd like to know how you conclude that I, personally, would be responsible for "untold misery and suffering" were abortion not legal. Was it I who forced all those women to have sex outside of a committed marriage relationship that could handle the addition of a child? Did I cause the poor formation of girls such that they have no more respect for their own lives and prospects than to give away their virginity as casually as they would share a Big Mac? I don't think so. Teaching our children sexual morality is like putting a fence at the top of a cliff rather than an ambulance at the bottom. And as for the misery and suffering that usually accompanies those kinds of behaviors, Care Pregnancy Centers offer hope and another way for anyone who would choose to accept help. All a woman has to do is ask.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 01/24/07 - 01:01 am
I don't know if you are

I don't know if you are black, but if you are not, you might not know that black people do not want their babies adopted and raised by white people. What is your take on the fertility clinics? The excess unnecessary embryos, those poor frozen in limbo souls, who will probably be flushed someday? You don't believe in helping couples conceive, then? Why can't you trust God to put the souls where he knows they are going to be carried to term? Are you telling me that every woman who is talked out of an abortion is monitored and helped financially to get on with her life and to be able to raise her child? Can you answer for every woman across the country? Are you willing to let Roe vs. Wade stand so that women who do not believe as you do can make the decision for themselves? You are at one extreme end of the issue and I am at the other. I do not consider abortion murder, I do believe in birth control and I believe in teaching birth control to teens, while trying to counsel them that there is no hurry to start having sex yet. I believe that sex outside of marriage is not the scourge of society. Your idealistic but impractical way of thinking will result in more abortions, not less.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs