Woman vows lawsuit to show she's Brown's wife

COLUMBIA - An attorney for Tomi Rae Hynie Brown says she will sue once the soul singer's will is filed, asking a court to rule she is legally married to Mr. Brown and is entitled to half of his estate.

"At the end of the day, in my opinion, Tomi Rae Hynie will inherit 50 percent of James Brown's estate and the trust, and the child, James Brown's son, will inherit one-seventh of the other 50 percent," said Mrs. Brown's attorney, Robert Rosen.

Mrs. Brown plans to contest the will as soon as it is filed and will fight all the way to the state Supreme Court to prove she is legally married to Mr. Brown, Mr. Rosen said.

The will hasn't been officially filed in court, but Mr. Brown's lawyers have released most of its details. The will was read to his family last week. It calls for his personal effects to be divided equally among the singer's six adult children. Mrs. Brown and her 5-year-old son aren't included in the will, which was drawn up 10 months before the child's birth and more than a year before Mr. Brown married Mrs. Brown, said the singer's attorney, Buddy Dallas.

Mr. Brown's lawyers say the marriage wasn't valid because the backup singer for the Godfather of Soul was married to another man when she exchanged vows with Mr. Brown in December 2001. They have said Mrs. Brown later annulled her previous marriage but that she and Mr. Brown never legally remarried. Mr. Brown's body remains in a sealed coffin at his Beech Island home as his family decides his final resting place. Mr. Rosen said he will file a request with Mr. Brown's attorneys asking that Mrs. Brown be included in the decision.

"No one disputes that she was his companion," Mr. Rosen said. "They were living together as man and wife when he died. He said in his autobiography that she was his wife. He signed the birth certificate saying this was his child, and I can't understand why people would be so disrespectful to her."

Most of Mr. Brown's holdings are in an irrevocable trust separate from the will. Mrs. Brown and her son aren't included in the trust, said Mr. Dallas, who also is one of Mr. Brown's trustees.

"It's left basically for the education of his grandchildren and the education of needy children," said Mr. Dallas, who declined to comment further about specifics of the trust.

Even though the will and trust were created before Mrs. Brown married the singer and their son was born, "laws say you can't exclude a spouse that you're not married to at the time of the will," Mr. Rosen said.

Comments (117)

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/17/07 - 09:02 am

Why do they say "Woman"' vows

Why do they say "Woman"' vows lawsuit instead of just saying "Tomi Rae Brown"?

Delirious58
Delirious58 01/17/07 - 09:10 am

Probably because THEY know

Probably because THEY know that she is not legally married to James Brown and the little boy IS not his son.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/17/07 - 09:17 am

If he weren't, then she would

If he weren't, then she would not be willing to submit to a DNA test. She certainly doesn't have to do that but she said she would allow it. You and the rest of the accusers will look very stupid when the tests come back positive!

What right do you have to assume he is not James Brown's son? Stop insulting Mr. and Mrs. Brown like that!!

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 09:20 am

The boy looks like james

The boy looks like james brown. He has his chin and everything!!! Hell some of his older kids don't look like his. They need a DNA test!!!!!!!!!!

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 09:20 am

I agree with you Yankees Fan

I agree with you Yankees Fan

Delirious58
Delirious58 01/17/07 - 09:24 am

another monica lewinsky

another monica lewinsky

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 09:25 am

Delirious you are

Delirious you are Delirious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 09:27 am

Monica Lewinsky was not

Monica Lewinsky was not married to anyone. She was a slut. Whether you like it or not, she was married to this man and had his child. There's no comparison!!!!!!!! Monica just got sperm on her dress!!!!!!!!!!!

fergie01
fergie01 01/17/07 - 09:38 am

married or not,he called her

married or not,he called her his wife.his child or not, he signed the birth certificate. GO TOMI RAE

Delirious58
Delirious58 01/17/07 - 09:42 am

they NEVER remarried,

they NEVER remarried, remember?
She said on Larry King Show that they were going to exchange vows on Christmas Day.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 09:48 am

Team Tomi Rae

Team Tomi Rae Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Delirious58
Delirious58 01/17/07 - 09:51 am

Yes, he married a

Yes, he married a bigamist and that is why she's having such a hard time now

fergie01
fergie01 01/17/07 - 09:53 am

put yourself in her position

put yourself in her position delirious, we would still stand behind you. this is not a celebrity thing. this is a situation that needs to brought to the attention of everyday people like us. it could be one of us. just probably not alot of nosy media around.

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/17/07 - 09:55 am

fergie, Im with you......and

fergie, Im with you......and as far as never REMARRED....they never were anulled...so....they were still married anyway

advance
advance 01/17/07 - 09:58 am

So Mr. Brown did sign the

So Mr. Brown did sign the birth certificate. I'd like to see that document. Why hasn't that come out before? Why didn't she show that on Larry King? Fake will and Fake birth certificate. She could definately sue for child support with this.

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 01/17/07 - 09:58 am

What if you were a live-in

What if you were a live-in spouse for ten years and your significant other never married you? He dies and you're not in the will. They kick you out of your house and you receive nothing. Now you been by this man side. Some of JB own children said on national TV that they rarely visited with their dad. Fair is fair, she should be entitled to something.

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/17/07 - 10:02 am

I still say BUDDY is hiding

I still say BUDDY is hiding another will, I think there is more to this then meets the eye....hes AWFUL protective whenever Tomi Rae says anything...all the attorneys are........hes in jepordy of loosing something. People cant tell me that a man of JB's past and profession DID NOT allow for a new child, and "wife" if she is leagally, and if not I Agree with NicoleKelly, she damn sure deserves more then what his kids did,, I feel like they may have been standing by waiting for his demise, people act crazy when someone dies and there is something at stake.

3572 01/17/07 - 10:02 am

Well i think that if Tomi

Well i think that if Tomi Rae really loved James Brown then she wouldnt have been married to him and someone else. I think that she seen a old gold mine and went for it. I say that if the child is James Browns child and Tomi Rae know it what do she care if the other child submit a blood test also. I think that she not sure, she need to be a little more real about all of this. And also why are you living out of a suite case. All the TV showa she has done and she still dont have any money come on know!!!!

advance
advance 01/17/07 - 10:09 am

Why hasn't the will been

Why hasn't the will been filed. I say Mr. Dalls and others are busy reading these blogs to see how much people have figured out. I don't believe Tomi has any such document. She's giving it all she has. Hoping that if the marriage is not legal (I thionk it is because JB dismissed the annulment) thanmaybe she can get something because of the child. What about the picture of her holding the child and kissing the statue. Tomi Rae is good. Maybe she can get on Surreal Life. She would fit right in.

advance
advance 01/17/07 - 10:18 am

For all you serious people

For all you serious people out there, we're just joking Tomi Rae because she is sooo over the top. Hey maybe she could hook up w/ Flavor Flav. Naww, Flav definately would not be going for this type of crap. You Teena Marie wannabe.

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/17/07 - 10:26 am

My thing is.. right is right,

My thing is.. right is right, if that baby JB JR, shows to be his, hes entitled, I dont give a damn!! He said he was his son, and thats all that matters, If the man reconized the youngin, then thats the way it should be..NO QUESTIONS!! Tomi Rae will get what she gets to take care of him anyway from the estate, thats the law

KLD108
KLD108 01/17/07 - 10:44 am

Okay, you guys are fired

Okay, you guys are fired up....Tomi has been reduced to "Woman"...wow...Now, someone please help me in getting a number or email to Tom Joyner..Please, Please, Please. I live in Amherst, NY and Al Sharpton was just on our radio station and he clearly said that he didn't accompany the body back to the funeral polar, BUT, James Browns remains weren't at his home and this was a disgrace for all who believe this! Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a photo in the Augusta paper and online with a photo at night with the hearse being driven on James Brown property and it was posted that he's in a room that is climate controlled? And ...... even though Tomi Rae was married, the man had other wives which made their marriage Null and Void....and although James and Tomi had issues when he filed for an annulment, he changed his mind? The son....JUST DO A $%^$#@@$ D N A TEST----AS A MATTER OF FACT ESPECIALLY ON THAT SON WITH THE FRECKLES....I'D LIKE TO SEE THESE BABY MOTHERS....It was what, 10-1 and of course Tomi Rae was out voted and because he was a celebrity you think the hospital wouldn't release him to DAUGHTER'S?? Come on people!!!

old school graduate
old school graduate 01/17/07 - 10:44 am

I agree with manoman. During

I agree with manoman. During the little domestic issue several years ago, there was an interview with, Jim Huff, JB attorney, and he said something like Tomi Rae was his wife, and JB was not fighting the charges so his "wife" would not have to testify. Now she's not his "wife"??? She deserves something for hanging in there all this time. Also, that little boy deserves to be taken care of, no matter what.

KLD108
KLD108 01/17/07 - 10:48 am

advance----please, I wouldn't

advance----please, I wouldn't hook my ex-husband's third wife with flav a flav---he's a hot mess, and I refuse to give New York one ounce of ratings from my TV, but the two of them would probably have a number one show...LOL...Now come on, cut Tomi Rae some slack, she was in rehab, her Dad just past, and now James after leaving her that message...

KLD108
KLD108 01/17/07 - 10:56 am

old school graduate...I

old school graduate...I agree....and it seems like Tomi Rae's attorney's are prepared to go up against old Buddy....and she should get something and Al Sharpton had the nerve to even dispute James Brown going to court with his Daughters...excuse me, but wasn't that news? I've lost every ounce of respect that I had for him...he told all of those lies this morning on our radio station to Tom Joyner!!! Please help me get in touch with Tom Joyner!!!

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/17/07 - 10:59 am

I feel bad for her...shes

I feel bad for her...shes being left out of everything....reguardless of legal or not...shes been with him a minute now folks, wouldnt you want some say in final arrangements in that position? I'd like to see James Jr. make it big one day, and tell his whole damn family (not Tomi) to get bent!!!! justice comes in the strangest ways, the older kids are going to need that boy one of these days, as small as it may be, and hes not going to lift a finger...

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/17/07 - 11:00 am

KDL Im in Va. Beach

KDL Im in Va. Beach Va.....cant wait to go home the end of the month to this.....lmao!!!!!!

KLD108
KLD108 01/17/07 - 11:11 am

Manoman, this is a mess, and

Manoman, this is a mess, and I'm going to be lost next week without you guys because I'll be in Los Angeles, but I hope my hotel has a computer...lol.....do you know how I can at least email Tom Joyner because he needs to know AL SHARKSKIN LIED

Rose
Rose 01/17/07 - 11:13 am

As much money as James Brown

As much money as James Brown made, and he did not update his will in over 6 years? He signed it in August, 2000 and died Dec.,2006. He had to have had it updated. Where is it? KLD108, I am not surprised at Al Sharpton. He is crooked, along with Jesse Jackson.

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 01/17/07 - 11:17 am

al sharpton needs to jump in

al sharpton needs to jump in a lake!!!!! hes in it for the money also....

Judge denies request to delay sales tax vote

A superior court judge denied a request Wednesday from a Richmond County citizen seeking a court order to postpone the May 20 special purpose local option sales tax referendum.