Iraq war is a 'deed of dreadful note'

Like a Shakespearean tragedy, George W. Bush's presidency has entered its fifth act. The American public has watched this grim play now for six years, and knows how it must end. The only difference is that on Jan. 20, 2009, Bush will simply walk off the stage. Unfortunately, several thousand more of America's young men and women will have shed their innocent blood for his tragic mistakes.

Like Macbeth in his Act V, George Bush's presidential title now "hangs loose about him like a giant's robe upon a dwarfish thief." Thrust upon history's stage at a critical moment, the 9-11 attack on America, Bush has seen the vestments of the presidency, tailored for men of character and judgment, become large and loose on his shrunken shoulders. Watching him in the White House library as he announced his desperate "surge" plan for Iraq, he summoned the remnants of his vaunted bravado, but looked lost and almost pitiable.

Like Macbeth, those soldiers Bush is now ordering into the deadly Iraq breach "move only in command, not in love." As the American public generally, growing numbers of America's military now realize Bush has been an utter failure as commander in chief. Bush has led us into a military, political and diplomatic nightmare that his departure in Act V will not end for the rest of us.

George Bush is a thief. He has stolen our national self-respect and our global reputation. In the name of "security," his administration steals and converts our cherished constitutional liberties. He has stolen our national pride.

Finally, like the tragic Macbeth, George Bush can no longer "buckle his distempered cause within the belt of rule." It is Republicans, not Democrats, who need to step up to their leader and force reality upon him: "Mr. President, it's over."

Charles Heywood, Martinez

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/16/07 - 07:13 am
Mr. Heywood, It's clear that

Mr. Heywood, It's clear that you like Shakespear and are apparently well informed on matters of English literature.Your comparison of the American presidency to an English tragedy leads me to believe you have very little knowledge of history or economics though. Keeping the radical Islamists from our doorstep while managing to maintain an enconomy that is the envy of the world seems to be an American success story to me. I guess your attempt at intellectual wit was meant to imply you don't think our president is doing so well. Unemployment is at an all time low and has been for more then four years. The economy has recovered from the recession of 1999 and the compounded effect of the 9/11 attack to rise to a point where the Dow sets new record highs almost every week and inflation is staying around 3.5% annually. The middle east war is progressing to a point where the left wing press refuses to give honest reports and easily tricked people parrot this filtered version of the news, so it must be going well. I guess my point is, instead of carping , what would you do to improve matters? [besides running away]

mgroothand
mgroothand 01/16/07 - 08:53 am
Patricia: Not wanting to be

Patricia: Not wanting to be redundant, I am going to have to get up earlier to beat you at my exact thoughts.

Ken
Ken 01/16/07 - 11:34 am
Amazing how the Liberal left

Amazing how the Liberal left tug on our heart strings with a mantra of “young Americans shedding blood” “young Americans shedding blood” reminiscent of "hey, hey LBJ how many kids did you kill today". About 50 something thousand give or take a few thousand. Liberals have short memories or are they just amplifying their hatred for George Bush and his administration. (sore losers) They take pleasure exploiting our American dead who by the way are an all volunteer army sworn to protect our Country from all enemies. Or maybe we don't consider terrorists enemies; maybe they’re just misguided religious fanatics who kill Americans for their god. On the other hand I’m enjoying the recent hangings of Saddam’s murdering crew and the justice we are dealing out to the sworn enemies of the United States. We can thank our young men and women who volunteered to do exactly this. They make the ultimate sacrifice to keep the terrorists off our soil. To them I am grateful.

augustalawyer
augustalawyer 01/16/07 - 12:08 pm
Chuck: How little you

Chuck: How little you understand the dedication of soldiers to their commanders, to each other and to the cause of stopping radical Islam over here before it comes to your neighborhood. If you were over here you would understand that. You would also understand that the morale of the American combat infantry soldier remains high. Although, it is important to have dialogue on these issues, you continually fail to realize that our enemies are emboldened by the rhetoric of leftist, American hating liberals who only offer criticisms and not solutions. In other words, American soldiers die here because of your actions there. Yea, thanks a lot for your support.
Shawn P. Hammond, JD, US Army Infantry, Afghanistan

mgroothand
mgroothand 01/16/07 - 12:29 pm
If I were to receive a letter

If I were to receive a letter addressed to me such as Shawn Hammond wrote, I would have to recant my original letter, hang my head in shame and change political parties.
I also wonder how much cheering for our armed forces would come from these leftists should Islamofacists be prowling the streets of Anytown, USA. If it were not for the likes of Hammond, that would be a matter of time. A short time.

thohen
thohen 01/16/07 - 01:28 pm
It's all well and good to

It's all well and good to bash liberals about not wanting to be in this war, but we are there, so lets just deal with it. My question, What about bin Laden????

markwardlaw
markwardlaw 01/16/07 - 02:32 pm
I would never presume to

I would never presume to question one of our soldiers on the front lines. He's there, I'm not. However, I will not be characterized as an "American hating liberal" because I disagree with this war, as I have all along. I assume our good soldier would define "dialogue" as knee-jerk support for this debacle. Polls show that 7 in 10 Americans disapprove of the surge and favor a timetable for withdrawal. According to the logic many of you display, nearly 70% of us are "American hating liberals." I'm also guessing that most of you flag wavers still believe there was a connection between Iraq and 9/11. You seem to forget the multitude of lies that hastened this incursion.

erinm82
erinm82 01/16/07 - 04:16 pm
I have to say I have never

I have to say I have never been polled about my opinion on the war or the president, nor has anyone else I know. But maybe that is because most of the people I know are republicans.

GeorgiaGirl
GeorgiaGirl 01/16/07 - 04:52 pm
I wish I had read and posted

I wish I had read and posted to this earlier. You are correct "Patricia" - he is well versed in Literature, he is, afterall an award winning teacher in Columbia County. Luckily, I never had to endure his classroom because I would never had made it had he let his opinions be made known. Being the product of a very patriotic family (father in the army, grandfather-merchant marine, uncles served in Vietnam, cousins DIED in Vietnam, the list goes on) I have always held my Flag and head high. I've supported Bush since day one and continue to do so. Although my heart breaks for the families of those who have paid the ultimate price for freedom they did not do so by being forced -- just as Ken said -- they "volunteered." Growing up in my family we knew what sacrafice could be expected of those in the service. And you can bet that every Soldier knows what they were getting into when they sign up. You would be hard pressed to find one that was ashamed of their Flag, Country or its Leader. To Mr. Hammond -- thank you for your patriotism and your selflessness. You truly are an American Hero!

markwardlaw
markwardlaw 01/16/07 - 06:09 pm
Georgia Girl- It's obvious

Georgia Girl-
It's obvious you didn't spend a whole lot of time concentrating on writing when you were in school. Too bad you didn't suffer through Mr. Heywood's class. You might have learned about split infinitives, how not to switch tenses in a sentence, what nouns are 'proper' and thus need to be capitalized, etc. But, what do I know? I'm one of those snotty, highly-educated pointy-headed "American hating liberals."

mhdolin
mhdolin 01/16/07 - 08:54 pm
Hurrah for Mr. Heyward. His

Hurrah for Mr. Heyward. His picture of Bush is far more learned and accurate than saying our leader is caught in the headlights like a deer, which is also true. Mr. Bush is a coward, a bully and an army deserter. After Daddy Bush got him into the Texas National Guard, when he didn't show up for three days and that morphed into a year, he was AWOL and a full blooded deserter and coward. Truth will out! Mr. Heyward is the most erudite letter writer in this paper and should be editor-in-chief.
Harriet Dolin

kyle
kyle 01/16/07 - 09:41 pm
Iraq has precious little to

Iraq has precious little to do with Afghanistan. If anything, the distraction of Iraq threatens the viability of the NATO/US mission in Afghanistan. And despite what many folks who respond here would like one to believe, soldiers see little progress in Iraq that would indicate that the mission there will lead to a constructive outcome. Maybe earlier. But not now. The idea that we are fighting them "there" so as not to have to fight them "here" is a specious one when applied to Iraq. There was no Al Qaeda in Iraq before we got there. Just as there was no insurgency. Just as there was no armed, pro-Iranian, islamist shia factor to be reckoned with. Saddam Hussein was a nuisance hardly worth the (predictable) tragedy that Mr. Heywood describes.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/16/07 - 10:08 pm
I feel the naysaying parrots

I feel the naysaying parrots tend to aid the anti-American islamafascists. Does this make them America haters? I think not, but it does make them work toward the same goal as America haters. If you accidentally give aid to the enemy are you an accidental traitor? If you throw a stumbling block to trip a leader and offer no intelligent alternatives to his leadership who are you helping? If you carp and whine about time frames, goals or operations with little or no knowledge or understanding to back you up, who are you aiding and who are you hindering? People that feel radical islamists live in one country and wear one uniform and don't communicate with any other radical islamists are people that are not thinking. People that feel radical islamists don't have any complicated, in depth, long range plans are not thinking. People that feel George Bush has caused the spread of radical islam are very foolish. People that publicly record these unbelievably shallow concepts should reconsider. Informed people are snickering at you.

Miss Mary
Miss Mary 01/16/07 - 11:48 pm
We arr so lukky to have

We arr so lukky to have markwardlaw aroun to let GeorgiaGirl and others lak her know when they arr using bad grammer. After all, markwardlaw is a libberrel so he must be smartern everbody else. I always thuoght that a few errors in a post were OK cos after all yur not writin a fancy collej paper when you post a message. Thank goodness fer smart libbberells lak markwardlaw, who don't even capitlaize his own name, fer settin us all straight. He's so durn smart i bet he could even come up with a solushun to our problems in the midle east, but rat now he's concerned hisself with the very real problem of our grammer when we write posts. Thank yew, Mr. wardlaw!!!!