Family to split singer's effects

James Brown's 5-year-old son and the child's mother were excluded from the late singer's will that was read Thursday, according to an attorney handling his estate.

Tomi Rae Hynie Brown and James Brown Jr. are not mentioned in the will, and Mrs. Brown said she was not informed of Thursday's reading.  Chris Thelen/Staff
Chris Thelen/Staff

Aiken attorney Strom Thurmond Jr. said Mr. Brown's six grown children are in the will, but not James Brown Jr. or Tomi Rae Hynie Brown, who is either the entertainer's widow or ex-girlfriend pending the settlement of an ongoing dispute.

The will calls for Mr. Brown's personal effects to be divided equally among his children, one of Mr. Brown's attorneys, Debra Opri, told The Augusta Chronicle. Mrs. Brown was not present for the reading of the will, but Mr. Brown's adult children attended.

The Irrevocable Trust Agreement of James Brown won't be divvied up, Ms. Opri said. The trust controls the music icon's legacy, music rights, persona and 60-acre estate in Beech Island. The trustees are Mr. Brown's longtime attorney Buddy Dallas, accountant David Cannon and former South Carolina magistrate Alford "Judge" Bradley.

Ms. Opri would not comment on the value of Mr. Brown's estate.

"He was a very, very wealthy man, and all of his estate is in that trust," she said.

Mr. Dallas also would not discuss details, deferring to the probate attorney, Mr. Thurmond. Mr. Dallas said the document will be filed in Aiken County within the next two weeks.

Contacted by telephone, Mrs. Brown said she wasn't aware of the will reading, and she said she would contact her attorney in Charleston, S.C., to find out why she wasn't notified or allowed to participate.

Her attorney, Robert Rosen, said he will ask Mr. Thurmond to send him a copy of the will.

"We obviously cannot take any action until we see the will," he said.

Mr. Rosen said he's prepared to take Mrs. Brown's claims that she is the singer's widow to the South Carolina Supreme Court if necessary.

Mr. Brown's attorneys contend she is not his widow because she was still married to another man when they said their vows, and because those vows were never renewed once her first marriage was annulled. They also have hinted that her child isn't Mr. Brown's.

If her marriage to Mr. Brown is upheld, Mr. Rosen said, under state law she would be entitled to one-third of his assets regardless of what the will says. If the will is deemed invalid, Mrs. Brown would receive 50 percent of his assets, with the remaining half divided equally among his children, Mr. Rosen said.

Mrs. Brown said she and James Jr. are currently living "out of suitcases" in Los Angeles. She said she was registering James for school Thursday when a reporter called.

She repeated that she is eager to have a paternity test performed to prove that her son is Mr. Brown's child, and she wants the sample tested against his other children - daughters Venisha, Yamma and Deanna and sons Terry, Larry and Daryl.

"They all know that's their little brother," Mrs. Brown said.

A final resting place for Mr. Brown has yet to be determined, his gold coffin still sitting inside his Beech Island home since it was brought there after his Dec. 30 funeral.

Charlie Reid Jr., manager and funeral director of C.A. Reid Sr. Memorial Funeral Home, said Thursday that the family is leaning toward placing the coffin in a mausoleum somewhere on his estate, but no final decision has been made.

Associated Press reports were used in this article.

Reach Johnny Edwards and Mike Wynn at (706) 724-0851.

duanes06
duanes06 01/12/07 - 05:21 am
Is it me or does something

Is it me or does something here just not seem right?

NoRestForMe
NoRestForMe 01/12/07 - 06:38 am
Mr Browns will is his will

Mr Browns will is his will and should be respected as such...period.

BBSouth
BBSouth 01/12/07 - 06:59 am
This just shows that they all

This just shows that they all loved his money more than him...

scooter32
scooter32 01/12/07 - 07:55 am
seems like to me buddy dallas

seems like to me buddy dallas will be only the one collecting anything from james brown estate. i bet ol buddy is smiling now. i bet buddy dallas ripped james brown off big time! so now if jb jr. turns out to really be james brown's he has been left out in the cold.what a way to do someone.

stillamazed
stillamazed 01/12/07 - 08:33 am
I agree that all those kids

I agree that all those kids should be tested from the youngest to the oldest.... it is all about the money anyway, not about the man. I just hope that nothing will be removed from the home and it will be turned into a museum. On an interview he did that is what he said, that after he is gone he would love for people to be able to come in there and see how he lived.

hr69
hr69 01/12/07 - 08:46 am
Seems odd to me that someone

Seems odd to me that someone like Mr. Brown (that was so generous and helped out so many less fortunate in the Augusta area - turkeys and toys-) would not leave his own son something. I remember an interview a couple of years ago with Mr. Brown where he introduced the boy as his son. Whether or not he wanted to leave Tomi Raye anything or not, I find it really hard to believe he would leave his own child without anything. There are ways to make sure the child has what he needs without making her a rich lady. I smell something about this deal, and it stinks.

oldsoldier63
oldsoldier63 01/12/07 - 09:18 am
I think it's shameful the way

I think it's shameful the way certain things have been handled.Please let Mr. Brown rest in peace and like my mother said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.We all have demons that we fight daily.

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 01/12/07 - 09:24 am
who cares???

who cares???

CHIVAS13
CHIVAS13 01/12/07 - 09:38 am
I absolutely agree with

I absolutely agree with scooter32, I believe you hit the nail on the head.

fergie01
fergie01 01/12/07 - 09:39 am
from my understanding the

from my understanding the children were not named. just called his children.(if i am wrong correct me please) so would not that include the 5 year old too.if jb left jb jr out doesn't it seem that the older children would come forward and give him something?

concernednative
concernednative 01/12/07 - 09:42 am
It is all weird. His really

It is all weird. His really didn't think much of Tomi Raye and he didn't trust his children. Or he really really trusted his accountants and attorneys. Those are the people he really left everything. It is weird a man would leave little to nothing to his children everything of significant value is in the trust. I hope he didn't get tricked into signing something. We will see if Buddy and crew are fair to the family.

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 01/12/07 - 10:04 am
LOL!!!!!! Did I not tell all

LOL!!!!!! Did I not tell all of ya'll that buddy dallas was gonna get all of the "pie".?.....As far as him being fair to the family the will left them out even that little jb which I find sad ....so all you jb fans what kind of man is that?? Anybody who would leave buddy dallas in charge of their money is just a little on the dumb side. And as far as the grown children ..I think it's a hoot !!!All that crying and carrying on on stage..all for nothing.

040 01/12/07 - 10:30 am
I'm not understanding.....If

I'm not understanding.....If this is JB's will (this is what I want to happen to my "stuff") How can it be overturned. No one can say "this " is what he really wanted and turn things around to make the kids happy. I thought these things were supposed to be the final say.. Help me here...any lawyers out there? Isn't the house in Buddy Dallas' name anyway? MONEY, MONEY, THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL, and isn't all the evilness showing?????????

advance
advance 01/12/07 - 10:34 am
Who would leave any of these

Who would leave any of these characters in charge of music rights etc? They can't even get the man buried! I think that is a real shame . Those grown children are as old as dirt and don't have the decency to properly bury their father. Even if they had to obtain a burial place temporarily. Actually he didn't leave any of his children much of anything. The little boy could be the child of her Pakistani husband. He was a man of color too.

KLD108
KLD108 01/12/07 - 10:51 am
This is all sad, and I'm

This is all sad, and I'm really embarrassed especially since we're approaching Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Day. Everyone involved has made a mockery of James Brown. I truly believe because he'd gotten into so much trouble legally that those attorney's were slick and possibly tricked him into signing those documents. But for the love of pete, would they BURY THE MAN!!! I'm embarassed that they keep showing his funeral and saying, well, HE'S STILL NOT BURIED!!! That's just ignorant. God have mercy on his children and I agree they ALL should get DNA test except the one who looks just like him and was dancing at the last funeral. As for Tomi Rae---That's a Hot Mess!!! She played that message of James Brown on her cellphone and it was him and he sounded sick and asked her to come home, he missed her, was lonely a little sick, but "I love you baby"----BUT, she doesn't get a penney nor her son yet!!! Unbelievable!!!I'll be glad when this is over. It's unfortunate that this MESS clouds James Brown death!! I can't believe he didn't leave Al Sharpton anything---I think this will was made up and while signing other papers, this was slipped in there! God bless Tomi Rae and the Browns!

babydoll1
babydoll1 01/12/07 - 10:52 am
Well, well, well, I know that

Well, well, well, I know that plenty of people are now going to say that the will was probably altered or something of that nature. First of all that was JB's money he could do what every he wanted to do with it. There is no law saying that he had to leave anything to his children or anyone else. I think that people should not sit around wait for a person to die and think that they are going to get rich off of them. Get out and get a job work for what you want and don't depend on any body else money nothing. It is a good thing to be independent. Now if you inherit something that is good too but don't; be mad when you do not get what you think that you are entitled too. Ask yourself did you work for it? Did you earn it and who's it is any way? People in general need to stop banking on someone else money. And maybe he named the child after him but never thought that the child was his you know the old saying "mommas baby and papas maybe" As far as his older children goes I would not consent to a DNA test she Tomi should not have been so money hungry and get a job. If he was any ordinary man she would have to get a job so once again get a job and placed in his final resting place.

JXK
JXK 01/12/07 - 10:53 am
Oh the tangeled webs we

Oh the tangeled webs we weave, when first we practice to decieve!

Justice4real
Justice4real 01/12/07 - 10:59 am
Buddy Dallas

Buddy Dallas a.k.a........Don King

Rose
Rose 01/12/07 - 11:26 am
If her marriage to Mr. Brown

Rose
Rose 01/12/07 - 11:27 am
that was in the article here.

that was in the article here. So we wait to see if the marriage was legal.

advance
advance 01/12/07 - 11:30 am
I thought I read one time

I thought I read one time that JB had prostrate cancer. He was already sick before the pneumonia. How could he still be performing w/pneumonia? Alsso I don't know how well he was thought of by other entertainers? I was expecting a lot more entertainers to show up. Mr. Brown was a great entertainer but seemed to have had a way with him concerning other people in and out of the business. Like Tomy Rae says, where did that will come from and is it the only will. As his wife she should know all of this. Mr. Brown was probably a difficult man to really know.

iletuknow
iletuknow 01/12/07 - 11:34 am
Let this be a "heads up" to

Let this be a "heads up" to all the white women that can't find a proper mate and think they have found true love with African Americans

advance
advance 01/12/07 - 11:38 am
It's not African American

It's not African American men. Some people are just downright "ornery" nasty to everyone they know. They have peculiar ways and really don't love anybody, but MAYBE themselves. I'm not even sure they can love.

advance
advance 01/12/07 - 11:40 am
After all he didn't leave

After all he didn't leave much (personal effects) to his other children either.

granma35@yahoo.com
granma35@yahoo.com 01/12/07 - 11:46 am
Bury the man and get over it.

Bury the man and get over it. Money isn't everything and it's not going to bring him back. Mr. Brown was a good man with faults, as we all have some. The whole truth is not being told. We can all speculate forever.

good7ness7
good7ness7 01/12/07 - 11:49 am
Definition of WEALTHY?

Definition of WEALTHY?

jackragg
jackragg 01/12/07 - 12:10 pm
If you believe that is James

If you believe that is James Brown's son, and that she didn't marry him for his money, I got some stuff I want to sell you.

advance
advance 01/12/07 - 12:19 pm
It's all speculation. The

It's all speculation. The stuff that makes urban legends.

To the godfather of soul, Mr. Dynamite, Mr. James Brown. You lived and loved hard. May you RIP

We loved you anyway.

popskull
popskull 01/12/07 - 12:31 pm
Ya know, if all parties

Ya know, if all parties involved would just come to their senses and do what JB would want, then there wouldnt be any problems

The only ones that will walk away with anything are the attorneys!

WWJBD? What Would James Brown Do?

keithivory116@hotmail.com
keithivory116@hotmail.com 01/12/07 - 01:11 pm
No oone Has Mentioned the

No oone Has Mentioned the Fact that where the Hell Was the Purple One ......Prince ...did he attend any of the Memorial Services for the God Father of Soul. Prince Must have a good Excuse for not showing up to JB's Homegoing Service ... Really Iwas looking for Prince to perform. or Just Show up...Prince live in LAs Vegas video Concert is Pure JAmes along with MAceoPArker...........Can Somebody in Journalism Reporting Try to do a Story on what Happen to PRince..... Iam A bassplayer for 30 years living in Miami...Iam Sure ALot of Musicians thought the same.... :Oh yeah "Prince willl be the Half time SHow at the Super Bowl In Miami in Feb.2007 PLease Prince no JAmes brown Tribute Music Since youwas a no show .... Right on to Micheal Jackson you know where it at keep it on the one!