Historian is arrested jaywalking in Atlanta

ATLANTA - A British historian in town for a convention said he got a taste of something other than Southern hospitality.

Felipe Fernandez-Armesto was attending the American Historical Association's convention in Atlanta last week when he was stopped by a plainclothes police officer after crossing a street in downtown Atlanta.

The former Oxford professor said the situation grew more tense when he did not immediately realize that it was a police officer questioning him.

Mr. Fernandez-Armesto, 56, said he had left his green card in his hotel room. At that point, he says, the officer kicked his legs from under him and held him down. Two other officers helped hold him down as he was arrested. The charges were eventually dropped.

"I must say I didn't get to experience the Southern hospitality I'd heard so much about," he said.

Comments (10)

amazedbywhatiread
amazedbywhatiread 01/10/07 - 07:24 am

Once again some nut case with

Once again some nut case with a touch of ROBOcop goes and uses his "authority" to assault a visitor to our country. Do they teach that is law enforcement school. It said plain clothes but my question is was he even on duty at the time or just taking matters into his own hands.

shelly11662
shelly11662 01/10/07 - 08:52 am

It's good to know my tax

It's good to know my tax dollars are being put to good use- those jaywalkers, what are they thinking?

HGGP
HGGP 01/10/07 - 10:26 am

Oh my gosh shelly11662, I

Oh my gosh shelly11662, I suppose you have never jaywalked. We are to assume that you walk across the parking lot only in the zones marked for walking. You cross the street only at the lights and in the pedx zones. Let's just assume that you are in too much of a hurry to walk all the way down to the next pedx only to come right back to the point where you started because after all that is where you got the good parking space. Maybe you need to question your own actions before you judge the actions of others. I am pretty sure that there is not one soul on earth that has not jaywalked at one point or another. You need to get a clue! Maybe one day when you are visiting Atlanta or another city that enforces jaywalking you will think back on your statement and think to yourself practice what you preach. You will be doing this while you writing out the check for your fine. Make sure you use your tax dollars to pay it now!

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 01/10/07 - 11:06 am

LOL shelly..sarcasm is a lost

LOL shelly..sarcasm is a lost art on some readers.

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 01/10/07 - 11:10 am

As for the police action...I

As for the police action...I am embarrassed by the cops way of handling this issue..I have traveled all over Britain (and jaywalked a few times too )and have only encountered courtesy and humor from the police over there...I hope the gentleman will give us Southerners another chance.

NEone
NEone 01/10/07 - 11:11 am

mamabear, get a grip!

mamabear, get a grip!

mahkia
mahkia 01/10/07 - 12:51 pm

I dont think this should be

I dont think this should be something that you need a big discussion about. People go every day geeting arrested for little to nothing at all. All you can do is try to change it or get over it.

user3
user3 01/10/07 - 01:14 pm

sarcasm is lost to a lot of

sarcasm is lost to a lot of people!!!!!

Cody_Webster
Cody_Webster 01/10/07 - 02:08 pm

Does anyone proof read their

Does anyone proof read their written comments before sending them in full view of the whole world? I guess the saying, "Better to keep your pen on the desk and let everyone think you are a fool, than to pick it up and prove you really are", holds water.

CW's thought for today....

APINGA
APINGA 01/10/07 - 02:51 pm

damn! mama bear i don't know

damn! mama bear i don't know if i was more upset about the over zelous cop, or our inability to understand the context of a sentence!!!!!