- Tuesday: Starting Your Own Business; seminar covering topics such as the traits of successful entrepreneurs, legal structures for your business and estimating start-up costs; 6 p.m.; University of Georgia Small Business Development Center; 1054 Claussen Road; call (706) 737-1790.
- Tuesday: Georgia Center for Nonprofits Inc.; Identifying Funding Sources: The Foundation Directory Online, hands-on training on using computers to search for grants; 10-11 a.m., Enterprise Mill, 1450 Greene St., Suite 160; free; call (706) 823-9718.
- Friday and Jan. 19 and 26: QuickBooks Pro 2006 Series; hands-on, computer lab series teaching the widely used business software program; three-part series; 1-5 p.m. each day; Augusta State University, Allgood Hall; $189; call (706) 737-1790.
- Jan. 17: Introduction to Government Contracting; free Georgia Tech seminar for anyone thinking about doing business with the government; topics include an overview of procurement, governmental registrations, bidding and more; 9 a.m. to noon; 1054 Claussen Road, Suite 301; call Lloyd Watts at (706) 729-2076 or register online at www.gtpac.org.
- Jan. 17: Augusta Entrepreneur's Lunch and Learn: Grassroots Leadership seminar conducted by Helen Blocker-Adams, president/CEO of the HBA Group International; University of Georgia Small Business Development Center; 1054 Claussen Road; $25 fee includes a box lunch; call (706) 737-1790.
- Jan. 17: Break the Rules and Close More Sales; seminar for business owners and sales professionals by Sandler Sales Institute; 8:30-10:30 a.m., 699 Broad St., Suite 1001; seating limited; call (706) 432-0040.
- Jan. 18: Georgia Center for Nonprofits Inc.; Developing Outcome-Based Measurements for Grant Applications, seminar by Sharon DuBose, CSRA EOA planner/evaluator; 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Enterprise Mill, 1450 Greene St., Starch Building Conference Room; members $30, nonmembers $40; call (706) 823-9718.
- Jan. 18: Greater Augusta Chapter of American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants' Continuing Education Program by Terry Lovette; topic will be Significant Points to Consider in Correctional Malpractice Cases; 5 p.m.; Marvin United Methodist Church; members free, guests $10; call Ruby Barnes at (706) 792-0621 or Bonnie Rushton at (803) 278-4705.
- Jan. 19: Women in Leadership, seminar by Elliott Davis; program includes The Power of Presence by Elaine Clark Smith, of Elaine Smith Consulting International Inc., and Developing and Advancing Women Leaders by Mary Bennett, of Crowe Group LLP; 8:15-9:45 a.m., Augusta Marriott Hotels & Suites; call (706) 790-6912.
- Jan. 23: Taking Care of the Money - International Sales: 6 p.m. University of Georgia Small Business Development Center; $49; 1054 Claussen Road; call (706) 737-1790.
- Jan. 25: Georgia Center for Nonprofits Inc.; Advanced Grant Proposal Writing by Mark Baggett, CEO of Coastal Nonprofit Resources; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Enterprise Mill, 1450 Greene St., Starch Building Conference Room; members $60, nonmembers $80; call (706) 823-9718.
- Jan. 27: Starting Your Own Business; seminar covering topics such as the traits of successful entrepreneurs, legal structures for your business and estimating startup costs; 6 p.m.; University of Georgia Small Business Development Center; 1054 Claussen Road; call (706) 737-1790.
- Jan. 29: SBA Community Express Loan Program; learn more about the Small Business Administration loan program, which offers $5,000 to $50,000 to small-business start-ups and expansions; 6 p.m., Augusta Technical College, Building 100 Auditorium; call (706) 737-1790.
- Jan. 31: USPS NetPost Services: seminar for small-business owners on creating a mailed advertisement campaign; 9 a.m.; Augusta Technical College Building 600, Room 660; $49; call (706) 737-1790.
- Feb. 6: Georgia Center for Nonprofits Inc. symposiums for nonprofit leadership; four topics include marketing, cultures of execution, architecture and maintenance of boards, succession planning and leadership development; 9 a.m. to noon; Enterprise Mill, 1450 Greene St., Executive Conference Room 125; members $300, nonmembers $400; limited number of scholarships and discounts available; call (706) 823-9718.
- Free counseling for small-business owners and entrepreneurs; SCORE Associates, a nonprofit volunteer organization; call (706) 793-9998 in Augusta, (803) 641-1111 in Aiken and (803) 279-2323 in North Augusta for an appointment.
- Instructor-led online courses; Augusta State University Education to Go program; call (706) 736-1636 for schedule or go to www.ced.aug.edu and click on "courses."
- Word of Mouth Network, group seeks network of 200 entrepreneurs and businesspeople for a referral network; call Richard Banks (706) 736-5020 for an e-mail providing a concise overview.
- The NoonTime Networkers, area chapter of Business Network International; meets every Thursday at 11:30 a.m., T-Bonz Banquet Hall; contact Melanie Smith at email@example.com.
- The Leads at Lunch chapter of Business Networking International meets every Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. at Golden Corral, Bobby Jones Expressway; call Linda at (706) 309-9093.
- President's Club; ongoing reinforcement of sales training systems for business owners, sales representatives and managers; Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:30 a.m., 699 Broad St. Suite 1001; (706) 432-0040.
- The Referrals at Breakfast meeting of Business Network International, every Thursday at 7 a.m. at the Marriott Courtyard on Stevens Creek Road; call Chuck Ellison at (706) 294-5502.
- Augusta Business Development Club, referral group of noncompeting business people; 7:30 a.m., Tuesdays, Athens Restaurant, Bobby Jones Expressway; contact Heath Jefferson at (706) 267-2228 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Georgia-Carolina Investment Club is looking for members. If you are interested in real estate investing, call Bert Ellis for details at (803) 645-7883.
- Business Network International Pro-Active Professionals chapter; meets Wednesdays at 11:30 a.m. at Cleveland & Anderson CPAs on Davis Road; call Angela Brock at (706) 868-5916 for details.
- Business Network International First Things First chapter; meets Tuesdays at 7 a.m. at Cleveland & Anderson CPAs on Davis Road; call Adam Williams at (706) 868-5916.
The Business Calendar is a free public-service listing of The Augusta Chronicle. Fill out our online form at www.augustachronicle.com/business/onthemove. Items received by noon Tuesday will be published the following Sunday.