Son could be tested

James Brown's widow - or ex-girlfriend, depending on whom you believe - says she'll submit her 5-year-old son to a paternity test as long as the late Godfather of Soul's other children also give DNA samples for comparison.

Brown  Michael Holahan/Staff
Michael Holahan/Staff
Brown

"I will not allow them to bring in fake blood of my husband and put me in another trick," Tomi Rae Hynie Brown said Friday.

Meanwhile, a family attorney says the performer's inner circle is disgusted by Mrs. Brown's behavior since his Christmas Day death and that if she keeps it up she'll face legal action for breaking a confidentiality agreement she signed in 2000.

"If she continues her pattern of conduct, she's asking for us to do something," California attorney Debra Opri said. "The Brown family does not consider it appropriate for her to use the media as a pulpit for her protestations.

"They're asking her to please, please allow their father the dignity in death that he deserves."

At issue is whether Mrs. Brown is entitled to any part of his estate. Mr. Brown's attorneys contend she is not his widow because she was still married to another man when they said their vows and because those vows were never renewed once her first marriage was annulled. They also have hinted that her child isn't Mr. Brown's. Mrs. Brown has hired her own attorney, Robert Rosen, of Charleston, S.C. Mr. Rosen represented her in a 2004 annulment proceeding in which a Charleston judge ruled that her marriage to a Pakistani immigrant was void ab initio, which in Latin means "from the beginning."

Now another dispute is brewing. Despite a signed agreement not to discuss Mr. Brown's business or personal affairs, Ms. Opri said, Mrs. Brown has done that over and over in media interviews since his death. One interview appeared in the British tabloid The Daily Mail, in which she characterized Mr. Brown in his winter years as a sick, paranoid, violent, cruel old man with a failing libido.

On the day of his death, she told The Augusta Chronicle that attorney Buddy Dallas and accountant David Cannon had locked her out of Mr. Brown's home in Beech Island, adding that she had no money.

Then she said on CNN's Larry King Live on Wednesday that Mr. Brown left an $80,000 check for her to pick up when he died.

Contacted Friday, Mrs. Brown would not comment on the confidentiality agreement, except to say that any contract not to discuss her and Mr. Brown's personal lives was violated by both of them.

"(Mr. Brown) was the first one to do it," she said of an interview he conducted with The Hollywood Reporter many years ago. "Me and my husband were always candid with the press and always talked about our lives."

Under the contract, Mrs. Brown could be forced to turn over any payments she has received from media outlets for interviews, plus attorneys' fees, Ms. Opri said.

Calling any potential lawsuits "silly," Mrs. Brown said she believes Mr. Brown's family and legal representatives are attempting to assassinate her character.

"I think they're trying to make it a bigger issue than it is because they're just trying to throw every stone at me they can," she said.

Despite his eccentric public image, Mr. Brown was a deeply religious man with old-fashioned values, and he was horrified to find out he had married a married woman, said Ms. Opri, who once represented Mr. Brown in a sexual harassment lawsuit.

"Mr. Brown is gone," the attorney said. "He died a single man."

Ms. Opri said the issue of whether Mr. Brown is the father of James II has to be resolved. Asked what would happen if Mrs. Brown doesn't agree to DNA testing, Ms. Opri said, "It all boils down to what Tomi Rae wants for her child."

Mrs. Brown said she'll do it as long as her stipulations are met.

"I say bring it on," she said.

Fearful of retaliation and harassment from Mr. Brown's family, Mrs. Brown said, she recently moved to Los Angeles.

Though she wouldn't say Friday whom she is living with, Mrs. Brown told Mr. King that she will be living in the home of former Hardly Dangerous bandmate Athena Bass, the sister of Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee.

Reach Johnny Edwards at (706) 823-3225 or johnny.edwards@augustachronicle.com.

Reach Donnie Fetter at (706) 868-1222 ext. 113, or donnie.fetter@augustachronicle.com.

LMS2005
LMS2005 01/06/07 - 05:04 am
Enough already!

Enough already!

Forgiven1
Forgiven1 01/06/07 - 06:02 am
Tomi Rae the only thing that

Tomi Rae the only thing that you are thinking about is the money. Please, Please, Please let Mr Brown rest in peace. If you love him, why is the money so important. Were you at his bed-side when he died. Where was the compasion then. Let it go!!!

inherited
inherited 01/06/07 - 06:45 am
lord have mercy

lord have mercy

bubba01
bubba01 01/06/07 - 06:50 am
Despite whatever the children

Despite whatever the children of James Brown think he chose Tomi Rae as his companion, wife, live in or whatever they chose to call it. She had a child by him, he recognized the child as his and that child deserves his fair share just like the other kids. Tomi Rae is his mother and she is doing what any mother should and that is fight for her son's portion.

Sarge
Sarge 01/06/07 - 06:59 am
In my opinion, money is the

In my opinion, money is the root cause for all of this bickering back and forth. The daughters and the wife/girlfriend need to settle this behind close doors and conduct themselves as matured adults. As for Brother Brown he's ok (at rest), so therefore, this issue is not disturbing him and as for this being something that takes away from him as a good person, not true. For all of us that have gotten to know Brother Brown over the years, we would be fooling ourselves if we say that the actions of a few puts a damper on what he has done during his life here on earth. This is just another example for the following statement: FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT TO ALL EVIL..

Angel2006
Angel2006 01/06/07 - 07:35 am
Have the DNA test done on the

Have the DNA test done on the kids so Mr Brown can rest in peace. Thats what I would do if my husband was passed away and I would have it done also. But I know for a fact that OUR 2 kids are ours cause he looks and acts just like them

bam4ever94@aol.com

nelliepoo
nelliepoo 01/06/07 - 07:45 am
I am for James Brown II. I

I am for James Brown II. I saw the Trust on the news. Look like James II and Tomi Rae will get the money. The childred know that. I am for Tomi son he is the inacent one. I wish every one show him some love. To the family this is your brother and your father let the whole word know that was his son. Take care of him he need you'll the most. I know its two sides of every storie.We all need to show some love.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 01/06/07 - 08:28 am
Maybe Tomi Rae is going about

Maybe Tomi Rae is going about this the wrong way (media), but her son is entitled to the same inheritance as his other children. They should be ashamed of themselves for treating their own flesh and blood that way. Even if they don't like the mother they should love their brother. If he recognized this child as his own when he was alive, who are his lawyers and children to question this after his death? They should stop being greedy and act like a family.

bolluck
bolluck 01/06/07 - 09:46 am
Tomi Rae lied from the jump.

Tomi Rae lied from the jump. ( My question is, how much did she get paid to marry the pakistani? Hmm!) Then to insult Mr. Brown's family publicly with all this trash! If Mr. Brown gave her a check to cash after his death then he must have had these very issues in mind. And I'm sure he knew her for the "gold digger" that she is, and he was trying to pay her off in an effort to avoid what's happening now. She has used the media to make his family and friends to look like something far less than what she really is. Well, it won't work. The world sees her for the gold digger that she is. And only those who too would be "gold diggers" see things her way.

Rose
Rose 01/06/07 - 10:05 am
bolluck, I see it her way,

bolluck, I see it her way, and if I were a gold digger, I certainly would not still be in my marriage of almost 40 years.If anybody trashed James Brown's name it was James Brown himself with his breaks with the law.He did the crimes,served the time, and paid the fines. If James left his wife money, then that is none of anybody's business. If Tomi Rae wants to tell the world, that is her business. As for her going public, James and Tomi talked to the press about their relationship. So this business of she better hush is for the birds. Go fly a kite.

chambers
chambers 01/06/07 - 11:04 am
Wouldn't it be funny, if all

Wouldn't it be funny, if all the children of James brown had a DNA test done and all BUT Deanna proved to be his. I would laugh my a-- off. I believe Tomi Rae is within her right to ask that all children be tested...what's good for one is good for all. Will she do it..NO!!

easy breezy
easy breezy 01/06/07 - 11:04 am
This child was raised by

This child was raised by James Brown. Don't you think that if he had any issues as to whether or not the child was his he would have had tests done while he was still alive. This makes no sense, why put them through all of this. They should be mourning the loss of a loved one.

Rose
Rose 01/06/07 - 11:19 am
Right on, Perlgrrl.When I

Right on, Perlgrrl.When I read that Tomi Rae will agree to a test for her son if the other kids do the test also, I nearly laughed my a.. off.She is not giving up without a fight, and if I had a hat, I would tip it off to Tomi Rae.

tired of idiots
tired of idiots 01/06/07 - 12:47 pm
idiots! idiots! idiots! let

idiots! idiots! idiots! let james brown rest in peace! he did some wrong, but who hasn't all of you perfect people out there! mind your business and make sure your house is in order! to those who will respond with negativity, i love you too!

marien
marien 01/06/07 - 01:03 pm
Just tired of the whole thing

Just tired of the whole thing with Tomi Rae the truth will come out in the end. Let's move on already. God Bless

Rose
Rose 01/06/07 - 01:19 pm
juicyfruit, you are not

juicyfruit, you are not running the show here. We all will talk about whatever we want to. I am happy that Augusta Chronicle is giving us this space to sound off.

Rose
Rose 01/06/07 - 01:50 pm
You can go to WJBF.com and

You can go to WJBF.com and read about James Brown's Trust. He signed it before he married Tomi Rae, and he provided for her.

disgustedwithaugusta
disgustedwithaugusta 01/06/07 - 03:24 pm
i think the taxpaying

i think the taxpaying residents of augusta should hire an attorney out of atlanta and start a class action lawsuit to get our money back from the brown family and city government for furneral expenses.

Daltonnc
Daltonnc 01/06/07 - 03:58 pm
disgustedwithaugusta:

disgustedwithaugusta: According to reports, only $48,000.00 was spent by Augusta. Do you have any idea of the revenue Augusta will receive because of the famous James Brown. Every business, resturants, motels and anything open to the public will reap great rewards because of James Brown. The local tax revenue will be more than Augusta has ever received. Just for the few days including day of the service, Augusta had to receive thousands in taxes. I assure you South Carolina wishes they had been the state to honor James Brown. For many years to come every gift shop, motel and resturant will be selling items in memory of James Brown, every item represents tax revenue for Augusta. The mayor may have played a role in the affair, I don't live in Georgia, so I don't know. The mayor or who ever, made the right decision for Augusta.

Martinez
Martinez 01/06/07 - 04:23 pm
The trust doc on WJBF

The trust doc on WJBF predates the very public disagreement between James Brown and his daughters, including their filing a lawsuit against their father and his public vow that his daughter would never receive a dime from him. I seriously doubt a man known for his business sense and generousity didn't have a more updated document specifying more specifically how to handle his wife/girlfriend or whatever people want to call her and his youngest son who he also publicly acknowledged in many ways after this document was signed. Whether Tomi Rae was his wife or not, I simply refuse to believe James Brown, a man who shared his wealth with so many, would not have provided for her in some meaningful way. I think document released to WJBF is simply the one that works best to the advantage of the older Brown children, not necessarily the truest account of his last intent. None the less, it is time that all sides get this out of the court of public opinion and settle their differences behind closed doors.

markcox
markcox 01/06/07 - 05:09 pm
Brother Brown truly drug in

Brother Brown truly drug in the "Skank of the Century" when he gave this ugly man looking, greencard marriage thing a job! She was married to a Muslem arab when she marred this very frail elderly man? She marries for $$$$$ sister, and not a damn thing else! As screwy as JB's life was off stage, I'll bet she hit's the jackpot and walks off with millions! And THAT would suck bigtime. Why could Mr. Dynimite not find a strong beautiful BLACK woman to love support, and guide him in his life? All this misery with white people.... I don't understand his taste.. GOD GOD!!

marien
marien 01/06/07 - 06:49 pm
alee115 you are not runnning

alee115 you are not runnning anything either go somehere and sit down. Go make some animal cookies with your mama's face. I say what I want to .

Rose
Rose 01/06/07 - 06:51 pm
markcox, Apparently James

markcox, Apparently James Brown did not see color. People are people no matter what color they are. As far as his taste, he was the one who lived with her. He did not have to answer to anyone.It was his choice not yours.

Rose
Rose 01/06/07 - 06:54 pm
juicyfruit shut your ignorant

juicyfruit shut your ignorant mouth. I will go someone and sit down when I get good and ready.Make animal cookies with my mama's face? How about this, you devil. My mama passed away less than a year ago. don't talk to me about my mama.

marien
marien 01/06/07 - 06:57 pm
alee115 You are also

alee115 You are also ignorant. The trutht will come out and you don't have anything to do with it.

Rose
Rose 01/06/07 - 07:05 pm
The truth will come out, but

The truth will come out, but you have no reason to say that to me about my mama. I am hurting enough without your fowl mouth. Have you lost your mama? Do you know how it feels? This here is a place to voice our opinions. We are all different. But don't hurt people by making fun of the dead.

Jen2803
Jen2803 01/06/07 - 08:16 pm
This is a place for public

This is a place for public opinion. It is not a place for bickering back and forth and name calling. Juicyfruit you are very ignorant for talking to alee115 like that how old are you 5? The truth will come about about James Brown and Tomi Rae and call her what you will she is the mother of James Brown's son and should be respected. He must have loved her or she wouldn't have been with him. She has to be the provider for her son now and she will need all the help she can get.

trabell2007
trabell2007 01/06/07 - 08:40 pm
Tomi Rae is an opportunist, a

Tomi Rae is an opportunist, a drama queen and a liar! She has been living in LA all along...The Brown children ain't thinking about this girl! She wants MEDIA ATTENTION and she wants to get P.A.I.D. and she feel as though the Brown name will be her meal ticket. But the truth will win everytime. I wait to see how it will all pan out in the media because she contradicts herself from one interview to the other. If Tomi Rae was James Brown's wife, she would be in on the business and Dr. Brown's lawyer's would acknowledge her as such, but she's been left out because she was never really in...

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/06/07 - 08:44 pm
Well well well I see you all

Well well well I see you all have decided to fight. How embarrassing. This web site can be accesssed all over the world--- so that means folks are saying, "Hey read this! Can you believe how stupid those people are??"

I agree with the DNA request that if James Jr has to get tested, then so should all the others. It would be just what she deserves if the tests came out negative for Deanna Brown--- then she'd have to pay back the $ she got from the royalties that she sued her dad for!

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/06/07 - 08:59 pm
According to the will, James

According to the will, James Brown left her a monthly settlement and wanted her to live in and be in charge of the house, and that was signed BEFORE he even married her, and BEFORE she was pregnant with the little boy! Tomi Rae is even mentioned by The Godfather as "the future Mrs. Brown".

Now, I'm sure that atty "Dallas" already knew that. Why, then, did he put pad locks on the gates and not let Tomi Rae in? I'll tell you why. WICKED GREED!

Census: Augusta young adults struggling

A new report shows that young adults in the area today are better educated and on average, earn more money than 30 years ago, but are far more likely to be unemployed, unmarried and living with ...