Brown's daughter focuses on legacy

In sharp contrast to Tomi Rae Brown's tearful diatribe Wednesday, Deanna Brown Thomas went on Larry King Live on Thursday to speak briefly about the legacy of her father - the man the world knew as the Godfather of Soul.

"I don't have any comment to that," she said when asked by Mr. King to respond to Mrs. Brown's allegations that she has been shut out by the family since James Brown's death on Christmas Day.

"I am here to talk about the greatness of James Brown - the man who he was, the father who he was. He will be remembered as the great man who he was."

Mrs. Thomas said her father's death has been hard to deal with.

"It has not been easy. It has been a whirlwind of emotions. I cry every day."

When Mr. King pushed Mrs. Thomas to comment on Mrs. Brown's comments, saying that her silence would add more truth to the controversy, the Rev. Al Sharpton came to her defense.

The Rev. Sharpton said Mrs. Brown was not shut out. He said Mrs. Brown spoke at the service at the Apollo Theatre on Dec. 28 and then sang at the public funeral at the James Brown Arena.

"I don't know what shut out means. I think that what she got concerned about was when she demanded I say she was the wife. I can't get in that dispute. Mr. Brown annulled the wedding. ... These things have to be sorted out in a court. ... Certainly not on the pulpit at his funeral."

Further, the Rev. Sharpton said he was not hired to perform the funeral service, as Mrs. Brown alleged. He said he was a longtime friend who was following Mr. Brown's wishes.

"Isn't it sad that it's come to this?" Mr. King asked Mrs. Thomas.

"My dad was a very private man. I did not discuss his personal relationship and he did not discuss his personal relationship with me, so whatever went down between my dad and Tomi Rae is between my dad and Tomi Rae."

Mrs. Thomas also described her father as a man who had high expectations of his children.

"He was a very strict father," she said. "He wrote it in a song, Papa Don't Take No Mess. Education was very important to him. He had strong work ethics that he taught us all.

"He was the Hardest Working Man in Show Business, and he was that all the way up until the day he died."

Reach Amy Allyn Swann (706) 823-3338 or amy.swann@augustachronicle.com.

a different drum
a different drum 01/05/07 - 06:10 am
I think if Tomi Rae's son is

I think if Tomi Rae's son is required to have DNA testing all the children of James Brown should be tested.

Ladybug
Ladybug 01/05/07 - 07:04 am
I agree, I am not certain of

I agree, I am not certain of the sincerrity of Tomi Rae, after watching her perfomance on Larry King, one comment, I will never understand that as soon a person passed away, famous or nor they are described as wonderful, caring, and on and on.

sisterlove
sisterlove 01/05/07 - 08:06 am
I did not see one tear on

I did not see one tear on Tomi Rae's face on Larry King Live.
She is a confused drug addict. If she had any sense she would have remarried "the hardest working man in show business". If she really loved James Brown she would not let this play out in the media.

september 5th
september 5th 01/05/07 - 08:51 am
if deanna was so upset about

if deanna was so upset about her father's death- why did she show up to the funeral half naked? if one of brown's kids has to have a dna test then all of them should..who knows how many more will come out of the woodworks...it is obvious that brown slept w/ any and everybody...deanna is trying to profit from her father's death..in reality only one of the children looked any thing like brown and that was the daughter that did not speak at the funeral..she looks like his twin...al sharpton is a racist and jesse jackson needs to buy his daughter some singing lessons! tomi rae should get the most money for putting up with james brown...all parties involved have $$ in their eyes!

devaughny
devaughny 01/05/07 - 09:36 am
PERFECTLY REHERSHED INTERVIEW

PERFECTLY REHERSHED INTERVIEW !!!!!!! im glad that self serving al sharpton took the high road tonight. Larry king was baiting Deanna in by 1st asking jokingly "what your father did to relax?" Deanna replayed,"we certainly didn't go to the beach cause, he might get his hair wet". before the joke was completed, AL made sure that Deanna stuck to her rehersed lines. Deanna was ready to offer up another saga to the now infamous family fued... but i glad Al 'shark-ton' took the high road this time....

silentminority
silentminority 01/05/07 - 09:43 am
Unfortunately, the death of a

Unfortunately, the death of a loved one often brings out the worst in those left behind. This doesn't say much at all for the lawyers involved. They are the lowest form of refuse. Right now, the family is in the spotlight, but in just a few months this whole situation will be for-the-most-part forgotten by the masses. The family will have to caring the pain much longer. Losing a father is hard to deal with even under normal circumstances. The children of James Brown are in my prayers.

SSIMSLINETTE@HOTMAIL.COM
SSIMSLINETTE@HOTMAIL.COM 01/05/07 - 09:47 am
It's sad to see these back

It's sad to see these back and fourth comments between the family and Tomi Rae. If she was smart she would have kept her mouth closed in the begining. She knew where she stood with the family members it was nothing new to her. All she had to do was call Deanna and speak to her like a real WOMAN to see what was going to happen and when and ask if she could be a part of it. At that momement she could of told Deanna what she and the Godfather had previously spoke of in the event of his passing. Things didn't have to become difficult.

(If your interested in SLUMBER PARTIES please e-mail me at ssimslinette@hotmail.com or 706-394-9074)

3572 01/05/07 - 10:12 am
Deer walk i think that you

Deer walk i think that you are wrong in your statement. How many children do you have and how many people have you slept with, thats not what matter about you or James Brown. Tomi Rae got some real problems with herself.She said that she was given a 80,000 check by James Brown because he knew that this would happen then she turn around and said she dont have any money or anywhere to go. Well why not you are a grown women you shouldnt have that problem. Didnt she work with James Brown.

cc
cc 01/05/07 - 10:19 am
I disagree with all the

I disagree with all the children should be tested, Tomi Rae brought all this all herself. You should know what place you are in someone's life and after they die if you have to try to prove a point by going on tv having interviews saying negative things you are unsure yourself. For her sake i hope the little boy is Mr. Brown, but how do you get married knowing you are still married but you want every one to believe that the child belongs to Mr. Brown the trust and respect is already gone. Rev Sharpton did what Mr.Brown ask him to do if Tomi Rae was so close she should have known this. Deanna spoke very well last night she did not even acknowledge what has been said by Tomi Rae and that takes a real women to do that. I dont thinks its about money with his children they are already successful, on the other hand Tomi Rae singing ability is gone what ever she had when she first started with the group she has lost it. I thought it was very tacky when she went on stage and took a flower from one of the sprays to put in the casket. Mr.Brown told the people who was important to him what to do. Regardless of his past we all have a past. May the works he has done speak for Him!

TELLINGTHETRUTH1
TELLINGTHETRUTH1 01/05/07 - 10:23 am
This to me is just plain

This to me is just plain crazy Tomi Rae and the two so famous daughters of the Late James Brown are crazy. They are making the God Father of Soul death painful for people that really cared about James Brown. I believed he was loved by his children, but why would they lock his wife and his son out of a house and force them to stay in a hotel when they have a home. Forget Tomi Rea think about your baby brother. That kid is clueless as to what is going on. Deanna says she is a christain been a member of a church for a while, Knows right from wrong, but do you really understand God's work cause if you did then you would have a heart, you will be worried about your baby brother and you would stop making the devil happy because of what you are doing The Devil himself is enjoying it and things will only get worse for you all if you don't stop the foolishness and put God first in this thing because it really looks like Money is a big issue and everyone wants a part of it, which is just sad.It is sad that you all are acting this way when a man that was loved by many all over world has left us, and his daughter and wife, lawyers,and friends are only about mess. this is crazy.RIP James

Edward1968
Edward1968 01/05/07 - 10:29 am
deer walk hit the nail on the

deer walk hit the nail on the head!!

kblakey33
kblakey33 01/05/07 - 10:35 am
Rev. Sharpton...shut out

Rev. Sharpton...shut out means when you don't get invited back to the house after the funeral, or to the burial and plenty more that we have seen. Now granted, Tomi Rae is crazy, but how dare anyone criticize her about not being by Mr. Brown's side when he died....when Ms. Deanna came out and Larry King and said she was on VACATION and that Mr. Bobbit told her that Mr. Brown was in the hospital. She didn't rush back...she didn't come back until he was already passed. Just like EVERYONE else. The only one that was there was Mr. Bobbit. Read the will....get it over with.

babydoll1
babydoll1 01/05/07 - 11:34 am
People, people, people lets

People, people, people lets use some common sense here. If Tomi Rae is the wife she would have had all say so in JB's funeral arrangements and she would not have been "shut out". We all know that when an emergency takes place nothing can be done without permission from the next of kin. If she is the they could not have moved him or done nothing with his body until she gave the ok. But because she is not or there is some sort of legal dispute over her title the daughter were the next of kin. Not only that according to what he has written down she could not do anything. Everyone needs to stop fussing about what should have been done. One thing it is over and no one can go back anc change the hands of time. Another it is not you life you need to make that everything in your house is in order while you are so opinionated about JB's. And as far as how she is going to live she needs to get a job just like everyone else and go to work. Punch a time clock or write her time. I do not think that anyone should sit back a depend on someone else money to make it. People need to be independent no matter what. JB got out and worked for his money not her. The child will get what is his if it's his

butterflygina
butterflygina 01/05/07 - 11:42 am
I didn't see the interview

I didn't see the interview with either of these women. But if I was Tomi Rae, I'd be damn if they DNA tested my kid. These people are making a circus out of this. If James Brown, Sr. didn't raise paternity issues how the hell can someone else come along and do it? He was competent or are they alleging he was not? And as I said before, James presented this woman as his wife. Did he put something in writing or personally tell Sharpton, SINCE the annulmnet mess was in court, that this was not his wife? I saw something where they said Mr. Brown withdraw his annullment request. When this is all done and over with, there will be several PUBLIC apolgies owed. And that could be from either side. CC many people take flowers from the spray. But it does appear that she had planned what she did. This woman lived with this man, why did she need to call and discuss the funeral with his daughters, they should have all been doing this together anyway. How do we know Sharpton did what James asked us to do. And yes Tomi should have told James about the other marriage, wonder how he found out. And again, to lock her out of her home and expect her to stay down the street at an old house of hers.

hhinorton
hhinorton 01/05/07 - 11:48 am
I went to the funeral to

I went to the funeral to honor James Brown and to people watch. I didn't know who Tomi was at first. Tomi did a great job of channeling her pain and confused feelings into a great performance. She was thinking on her feet, poised, and must be mentally strong in order to have set her hard feelings aside. She was the hardest working performer there.... for her husband. She was tastefully dressed. I thought her grief was real. There is a term that fits called scapegoating, meaning a community, group or family places its sin, anger, blame and pain on a person and sends them into the wilderness to feel better. She is being scapegoated. I hope she can find the strength to make it through the coming months. Al Sharpton seemed concerned about her at first, but a sense of racial tension built during the service and he and Jesse Jackson duplicated all aspects of the service like rivaling siblings. They promoteed a racial tension that I did not see or feel in the crowd. Whatever one said the other had to do better. So bad feelings were between more people than Tomi and James' other family. Good luck Tomi and get professional support if you need it to keep your chin up.

neighbor1
neighbor1 01/05/07 - 11:57 am
Contrary to many of the

Contrary to many of the postings I have read here, little JB has never lived in the home with James Brown and Tomi Rae. He has always lived with his grandparents, which is where he was when she claimed to have been staying at a hotel. So no one has “locked” the child out of the home, he still lives in the same home he always lived in. Secondly, Mr. Brown no longer owned his home in Beech Island. According to Aiken County public records he lost it due to unpaid property taxes and his lawyer purchased it for several thousand dollars. It’s not the children who locked Tomi Rae out, it was the lawyer – it’s his home. Lastly, while some of the treatment of Tomi has been uncalled for she makes herself look bad when she talks to every media outlet that will listen. Mr. Brown was a private individual and these issues should be handled as such.

curtiskim
curtiskim 01/05/07 - 12:33 pm
What is this treatment of

What is this treatment of Tomi that is so bad? Not one person from James' family has said anything negative about Mrs. "Brown." She is the one who called the media and told them that she was locked out of the house; she is the one who did not come to Atlanta to be with her "husband" or see about arrangements for her "husband" after his death. Yet, she shows up at her "home"; James wasn't there, why would she go to the "house"? From the moment James died, she has been telling lies. It was James' attorney who said that he requested a DNA test for the little boy, not the family. As far as the other children taking a test, how do you know that has not been done before; even before Mr. Brown's death? Deanna does look like her father; she is a very attractive woman and I was impressed with her interview on LKL last night. She has class. Too bad the same cannot be said about Mrs. Tomi Rae Hynie "Brown."

youjustdontgetit
youjustdontgetit 01/05/07 - 12:57 pm
My, My, this is ALL crazy to

My, My, this is ALL crazy to me. First of all Al "Shark-ton" and Jesse Jackson need to stay out of this, they are money making trouble makers!!!! I don't care whose "friend" they call theirselves, go back to the hole you crawled out of. I don't see where it is anyone's place to Judge anyone, but as humans that is what we do. Leave this family alone they will figure it all out on their own..............

eliane
eliane 01/05/07 - 01:49 pm
Tomi Ray Hynie did not love

Tomi Ray Hynie did not love her husband. It's sure. How can she makes interview about the sexual problem ? and others unworthy declarations. She had never tell to James Brown that she was always married when he wed her ! Shameful madam.

curtiskim
curtiskim 01/05/07 - 02:22 pm
thankgodforcolumbiacounty,

thankgodforcolumbiacounty, the media said that Tomi called them and waited for them to get there before she threw herself on his statue for the camera's to catch. So James gave Tomi the drugs and made her take them? Yeah, right. She is a grown [filtered word] woman, she doesn't need anyone to give her anything; including James' money. What has the Brown family done that is so classless? I am only going by what is being reported, and I don't see them on TV talking mess about their father or Mrs. wannabe "Brown."

MSPOOCHIE
MSPOOCHIE 01/05/07 - 03:14 pm
rest in peace mr. brown, the

rest in peace mr. brown, the battle is not yours!!

Forgiven1
Forgiven1 01/05/07 - 05:09 pm
I think that every body

I think that every body should mind their own business. If you would take the log out of your own eyes you would not be meddling in no one elses. Why not let the family of the late James Brown resolve this personal matter without outside interference. God bless you all.

spicyclaudy
spicyclaudy 01/05/07 - 06:11 pm
Well, I think that is James

Well, I think that is James Brown's own private life ! Those kind of things will be judged in between the family and the Court. He wouldn't have appreciated it on TV ! Let him rest in peace ! If you wanna do something PRAY for him ! He gave out so much of himself for music...but to people who needed as well. He has gone away, and that is sad enough for us, such a loss. In fact, if I can suggest an idea : a James Brown's mondial day would be welcomed. May be I will come one day from France to visit him at the cemetary, to visit Augusta and meet the people he loved so much.

browne29556
browne29556 01/05/07 - 06:12 pm
james brown lose the house

james brown lose the house because of taxes his lawyer got it lawyer own it. he can do what he want tomi can't say she got locked out. she said that she got hook on painkillers after her father pass that is bull she mean drugs she need to keep her mouth shut she should have gone to her little old shack down the street instead of lying and pretending that she were so hurt with tears that were not real that she didnt have no where to go. at the funeral full of hell done thing to be seeing.

cparker
cparker 01/05/07 - 06:24 pm
Thankgodforcolumbiacounty is

Thankgodforcolumbiacounty is teaching us a good lesson if we pay attention. People like this is why James Brown should be honored here in Augusta. People like this vote to rename high schools and public lakes after Strom Thurmond, although he is a known racist. They vote for Republican Presidents that are alcohol abusers with DUI convictions. Why should anyone have thought James Brown's indiscretions would be surpassed by his community efforts or love for his hometown? It is simple, because he lived in Augusta and not the state of bigotry that exists in Columbia County. I realize I am stroking Columbia County with a broad brush. The point is that in life and death James Brown has made a difference in our community despite his personal and professional adversities. Many of us thank God that James Brown did not think so much of himself that he would move to Columbia County. My mother taught me a long time ago that when people degrade others or just talk to much, it is because they over-estimate themselves and under-estimate others. I am grateful to the Mayor and the Sheriff of Augusta for showing the world that James Brown meant something to our community.

marien
marien 01/05/07 - 06:41 pm
The only people who actually

The only people who actually know what happen are God, James Brown, and Tomi the truth will always come out in the end. We do not know the whole story, so let's stop with the name calling. Put yourselves in each of the sistuation. I love James Brown and we as a community need to do positive things to keep his work alive. That is what he would want. No one person is any better than the other God loves us all, so who are we to judge. Let this man rest in peace, there is too much hatrated going on already from people from other countries, who hate Americans without us hating each other. GOD BLESS AMERICA

onelove
onelove 01/05/07 - 06:53 pm
GJames took the word right

GJames took the word right outta my mouth!!!!! Leave these people alone.

kNEEDEEP
kNEEDEEP 01/05/07 - 10:58 pm
first they need to find out

first they need to find out what he still owes uncle sam and we all know uncle sam will get his first. then they need to stop fighting before the lawyers get whats left if there is anything left

disgustedwithaugusta
disgustedwithaugusta 01/05/07 - 11:26 pm
if you dont want to be

if you dont want to be criticized by the public = dont put your busness out in the public -

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/05/07 - 11:31 pm
Deanna and her sister Yamma

Deanna and her sister Yamma sued their beloved father for royalties. Who in the world would sue their own FATHER??

It's all about money. I would be ashamed if I sued my dad!

So if they would sue their own dad, just imagine what they would do to a white woman that they think is trying to get their daddy's money!

I must say I do admire Deanna for the way she conducted herself on Larry King! Other than that, yuck!

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...