Brown gives tearful interview

Tomi Rae Brown told Larry King that her once-cordial relationship with James Brown's daughters is now over, and she suspects it might be because of the money at stake.

Back | Next
Brown  Staff
Staff
Brown

In a one-on-one interview on CNN's Larry King Live, Mrs. Brown said Deanna Brown and Yamma Brown Lumar have excluded her since the death of her husband and their father Christmas Day.

Mrs. Brown, who sobbed throughout the live interview Wednesday night, said it was particularly hard to take because she was the one who begged Mr. Brown to reconcile with the girls after a rift formed when they sued him for song royalties.

When asked why their relationship had changed, Mrs. Brown said at first she didn't know but then answered, "I think it has to do with money."

The Brown children also were to appear on the show Wednesday but declined because Mrs. Brown was on the show, James Brown attorney Debra Opri said.

Ms. Opri also made veiled threats that Mrs. Brown's behavior was pushing the legal envelope of agreements.

"I'm not here to disparage Tomi Rae, but what she did with the BBC and the London newspaper and here again tonight and at the funeral is inappropriate to the memory of James Brown, the Godfather of Soul, and it should stop because she is contractually obligated not to discuss the business and personal issues of James Brown," Ms. Opri said.

Mrs. Brown said that since her husband's death she has not only been cut off from the family emotionally, but also financially and that she and her son, James Brown Jr., still have not been allowed in the Beech Island house they shared with the singer.

Mr. King asked about the son's paternity, with Mrs. Brown saying her son is absolutely Mr. Brown's seventh child.

Ms. Opri, in a separate segment, said the paternity has been questioned.

"I'm saying it's an issue that's going to be resolved very shortly," Ms. Opri said.

Mrs. Brown said Mr. Brown made sure James Jr. was taken care of. On the Saturday before her husband's death Monday, Mrs. Brown said, he told her to take out a check for $80,000 made out to her son and cash it.

"My husband was so smart. He told me that the day he died to go to the bank and get something that he had left for me and my son," she said. "It was a check for $80,000. And then he told me I would need it to take care of him until things went over."

Mr. King asked Ms. Opri about the money.

"If it does exist and she got it, she should enjoy it," Ms. Opri said.

During the call-in portion of the show, a caller from Augusta asked about an apparent argument between Mrs. Brown and the Rev. Al Sharpton during Saturday's public funeral.

Mrs. Brown said an incident occurred when her husband was awarded his posthumous doctorate from Paine College. Each of the three daughters was called to the stage, and Mrs. Brown said she walked up even though she wasn't asked.

The Rev. Sharpton then mispronounced her name, she said, and the two had a short but heated exchange, with Mrs. Brown accusing the Rev. Sharpton of not respecting her.

According to Mrs. Brown, the Rev. Sharpton supposedly said that he'd tried to be nice but that he was finished.

The result, she said, was that she wasn't allowed to speak at the public funeral.

Reach Amy Allyn Swann at (706) 823-3338 or amy.swann@augustachronicle.com. Reach Kamille Bostick at (706) 823-3223 or kamille.bostick@augustachronicle.com.

MCCARTNEY WASN'T HERE

Sir Paul McCartney was rumored to be in Augusta last week to say goodbye to James Brown. The former Beatle's New York-based publicist, Paul Freundlich, said Wednesday that Mr. McCartney wasn't in the United States last week and called the report "gossip pages stuff."

sportychick
sportychick 01/05/07 - 09:39 pm
Ladydeeny: Dont you mean

Ladydeeny: Dont you mean South Carolina since that is where he lived? And it could take nine months or longer if the will is contested.

idnts701
idnts701 01/05/07 - 10:47 pm
YankeesFan: I went back and

YankeesFan: I went back and watched Tomi Rae's interview with LK (because I TiVo'd it) and she said She IS receiving SS benefits and her son (JB, Jr) IS receiving SS benefits in HER name. She did not say I willl BE receiving benefits or JB, Jr. will BE receiving benefits. She made the statement clear as day that she IS receiving benefits--meaning at this CURRENT time.

Daltonnc
Daltonnc 01/05/07 - 11:24 pm
idnts701: Tomi Rae was on

idnts701: Tomi Rae was on NBC tonight, I believe it was Entertainment Tonight. She said she had been in rehab, not on a beach someplace. She was ask about Mr. Brown's money. She said of course he has money, we have money for anything we want. He paid $30,000 to send me to rehab. I found this to be interesting. On LK she talked about SS benefits for her and her son, as though this was an income. SS is never enough for an income and 30,000 to Mr. Brown would be pocket change. She does not seem to understand money. On LK she talked about the 80,000 check. That is peanuts to the stars and Mr. Brown is most surely a star. With the report of how his albums are selling, millions will be coming in. It was reported last night that he now has three #1 albums. Just proves how popular he was, he will probably out sell Elvis. His children will be wealthy.

idnts701
idnts701 01/05/07 - 11:57 pm
I missed that segment of ET.

I missed that segment of ET. We as commentors, just have to wait and see how this all "pan" out-- that is if there is reputable media coverage out there to tell the truth and nothing but the truth about who gets what, where Mr. Brown will be buried, if Tomi Rae's marriage is legal, etc. We all just have to wait and see.

chitown
chitown 01/06/07 - 12:57 pm
First I'd like to give

First I'd like to give condolenses to all the family. I loved james Brown's and all that I read that he stood for. We have really lost a legend. But I would also like to say that I seen a clip on T.V where I heard Mr. Brown say that Tomi was his wife so if he acknowledged her as his wife and her son as his son in life then they both should be acknowledged in his death. If i was her I would not consent to a DNA of my son because if that's the case then all the children should be tested. But legally she may have too. But once it's proven I hope that she gets every penny her and her son deserve and take her husbands memory and start all over again cause her son will never be a true Brown because of the dislike they have for her she is right now dealing with vultures and I know it is not pleasant for her right now. People make strange arrangments in relationships and they may not seem right to us but US in not in the privacy of that relationship so US should not judge. Mr. Brown complicated things. He should have had DNA done if there was any doubt so that We all could focus on his Legacy after deateh instead of who gets his money. God Bless all the families.

idnts701
idnts701 01/06/07 - 06:47 pm
chitown: Couldn't have said

chitown: Couldn't have said it better.

devaughny
devaughny 01/12/07 - 10:43 pm
WELL WELL WELL, I tried to

WELL WELL WELL, I tried to warn James Brown kids and rev's to watch the white boy. Mr. Slick Oil Saleman Dallas got control of the whole pie. I invite anybody to go back and read the piece titled "Brown gives tearful interview" dated jan 4, You will see that i predicted this and it serves them right.. Tami was never a real forcus of the snake aka Mr. Dallas, he asigned stupid Deanna, the other fools and, the rev's to keep tomi at bay while he went to the lab to make up a trust to serve everybody....They will never get enough, trusting the opposition...HOOKED WRINKED !!!!!!!!!!!!

idnts701
idnts701 01/13/07 - 11:29 am
I agree with you devaughny.

I agree with you devaughny. I've been kinda' keeping up on his dealings as well--undisclosed, however and my thoughts kept to myself). Dallis is the SNAKE... Now, Tomi Rae needs to really go for WHATEVER she has rights to. It seems she is totally OUT of the pot for good--or maybe she has a "rabbit to pull out of the hat'.. The SAGA continues...

devaughny
devaughny 01/13/07 - 08:36 pm
idnts !! they cant keep Tami

idnts !! they cant keep Tami at bay for long. The marriege between her and JB is deemed valid and she will get the wife's portion but, i dont know if the kid is his or not. That is when the DNA will come into play. JB could have well cared for the boy. It will come down to DNA if Tami want to get a cut for JB JR.

KATHRYNTHIGPEN
KATHRYNTHIGPEN 01/14/07 - 01:12 am
Devaughny, you and I need to

Devaughny, you and I need to have a long talk. I think I might need to change your mind about a few things. But for now, as I told you earlier in another blog...white people are not the opposition. Quit living in a multi colored world... we are all God's children. And for goodness sakes James JR. should be the only one here who should be taken care of. I am sure he will be. The one thing that does need to be done though is give the child back to Tomi Rae's mother to raise. That woman on Christmas morning spouted words at the guard gate that would have made the devil blush. She showed absolutely no respect for her dead husband, her child, anyone else, not even herself. You could hear her a half mile away screaming like a raving lunatic. No child should have to be exposed to that kind of abuse and Mr. Brown would not have allowed it. We live in a quite neighborhood here on Douglas Dr. so the news media could just as well have recorded her from the station and saved gas. I have never been given or seen any reason to show her any respect since the 1st time I saw her over there and her exhibition Christmas just confirmed what I suspected already...Junkie looking for an easy ride.

devaughny
devaughny 01/14/07 - 04:21 pm
You can e-mail me at

You can e-mail me at devaughny@yahoo.com. Im always open for thought provoking conversations. I dont live in SC and i dont know what is going on there but, i do know that JB jr. is entitled to his father wealth. If Tami was staying there what gives Buddy the right to lock her out. If he was so concered about something being stolen. Hire someone to guard the house, Mr. Dallas is a lawyer not a security guard

Fatality highlights golf cart safety

Similar to cars, driving a golf cart has legal requirements. Texting and driving is illegal. So is driving while impaired. Also, all drivers must have a valid driver's license and golf carts are ...