Brown gives tearful interview

Tomi Rae Brown told Larry King that her once-cordial relationship with James Brown's daughters is now over, and she suspects it might be because of the money at stake.

Back | Next
Brown  Staff
Staff
Brown

In a one-on-one interview on CNN's Larry King Live, Mrs. Brown said Deanna Brown and Yamma Brown Lumar have excluded her since the death of her husband and their father Christmas Day.

Mrs. Brown, who sobbed throughout the live interview Wednesday night, said it was particularly hard to take because she was the one who begged Mr. Brown to reconcile with the girls after a rift formed when they sued him for song royalties.

When asked why their relationship had changed, Mrs. Brown said at first she didn't know but then answered, "I think it has to do with money."

The Brown children also were to appear on the show Wednesday but declined because Mrs. Brown was on the show, James Brown attorney Debra Opri said.

Ms. Opri also made veiled threats that Mrs. Brown's behavior was pushing the legal envelope of agreements.

"I'm not here to disparage Tomi Rae, but what she did with the BBC and the London newspaper and here again tonight and at the funeral is inappropriate to the memory of James Brown, the Godfather of Soul, and it should stop because she is contractually obligated not to discuss the business and personal issues of James Brown," Ms. Opri said.

Mrs. Brown said that since her husband's death she has not only been cut off from the family emotionally, but also financially and that she and her son, James Brown Jr., still have not been allowed in the Beech Island house they shared with the singer.

Mr. King asked about the son's paternity, with Mrs. Brown saying her son is absolutely Mr. Brown's seventh child.

Ms. Opri, in a separate segment, said the paternity has been questioned.

"I'm saying it's an issue that's going to be resolved very shortly," Ms. Opri said.

Mrs. Brown said Mr. Brown made sure James Jr. was taken care of. On the Saturday before her husband's death Monday, Mrs. Brown said, he told her to take out a check for $80,000 made out to her son and cash it.

"My husband was so smart. He told me that the day he died to go to the bank and get something that he had left for me and my son," she said. "It was a check for $80,000. And then he told me I would need it to take care of him until things went over."

Mr. King asked Ms. Opri about the money.

"If it does exist and she got it, she should enjoy it," Ms. Opri said.

During the call-in portion of the show, a caller from Augusta asked about an apparent argument between Mrs. Brown and the Rev. Al Sharpton during Saturday's public funeral.

Mrs. Brown said an incident occurred when her husband was awarded his posthumous doctorate from Paine College. Each of the three daughters was called to the stage, and Mrs. Brown said she walked up even though she wasn't asked.

The Rev. Sharpton then mispronounced her name, she said, and the two had a short but heated exchange, with Mrs. Brown accusing the Rev. Sharpton of not respecting her.

According to Mrs. Brown, the Rev. Sharpton supposedly said that he'd tried to be nice but that he was finished.

The result, she said, was that she wasn't allowed to speak at the public funeral.

Reach Amy Allyn Swann at (706) 823-3338 or amy.swann@augustachronicle.com. Reach Kamille Bostick at (706) 823-3223 or kamille.bostick@augustachronicle.com.

MCCARTNEY WASN'T HERE

Sir Paul McCartney was rumored to be in Augusta last week to say goodbye to James Brown. The former Beatle's New York-based publicist, Paul Freundlich, said Wednesday that Mr. McCartney wasn't in the United States last week and called the report "gossip pages stuff."

shatt
shatt 01/04/07 - 03:49 pm
Listen people, please have

Listen people, please have consideration for Tomi Rae's feelings, if not her feelings think about the innocent child who may I add did not place himself in this position and that is to lose his father. and for those of you who have been judging and worried about what Tomi Rae's agenda is, some of you need to take the time out to proof read what you are typing and instead of judging her and wondering why she has tears or not, you keep in mind that you are being watched just as closely as you are watching her but God is watching you and not the media!! so keep that I mind when you say things that are negative against Tomi Rae. It does not matter whether she is his wife, girlfriend, or just simply his child's mother she is a person and in the eyes of God by you judging her does not make you any better. whatever Mr. James Brown accepted her as when he was living she should be accepted the same way now he has gone to be with the Lord. I know a lot of you are not going to like what I have to say and you are not going to agree with me and that is okay, because if the world had to decide if a person could make it in Heaven based on an opinion guess what ( a lot of us would not get there!!)

be honest
be honest 01/04/07 - 04:51 pm
Sins of the parents should

Sins of the parents should never fall unto the child, PERIOD! A child's support is at stake, no matter where he lives; his mercy is at the hands of a white lawyer who has gotten rich off of JB. Can his kids not see THAT? It's hanging out for the handout, it's ugly and disrespecrful to a human who deserved better. I had heard that DNA was taken from Mr. Brown at his death to be "tested" on little JB. Guess the chick lawyer confirmed that last night. She has a child to support--these other children are adults. They all need to learn a lesson from Nisey (dignified daughter and FINE DANCER!) and be good people and not worry about the money, but the lawyers who will take what they can get. Look who owns the house! Remember folks, wills can be manipulated and copies placed that weren't what they were to start with with CROOK lawyers who will GET RICH and take ALL the family money. Dallas may be white but he ain't lily white--they'd be better served to watch him rather than Tomi. This is about people, not race, and a beautiful child who deserves better than to be locked from his home. Mr. Brown told folks he was ok at the hospital. I'm sure he didn't reaklize then he wasn't. Geez

devaughny
devaughny 01/04/07 - 05:16 pm
i agree with unreal

i agree with unreal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tomi is not the person to watch Mr. Dallas kids and grand kids will be going to college compliments of JB's money... I wish the kids of the god father of soul will stop the fighting and watch the "WHITE LAWYER." im sure Dallas know "A house divided will surly fall" so he can catch the money picecs that will fall from the table........ Stop it and open your eyes

diamondeyeseyes4me222
diamondeyeseyes4me222 01/04/07 - 05:19 pm
It's really sad to see all

It's really sad to see all this happening the funeral was less than a week ago and we know all of his personal business already. james brown was a private man I know that whatever is happening with tomi rae is for a reason you never know what james brown told people in confidence .deanna and yama are very sweet and respectful and if she feel that they are doing her wrong i'm sure they have their reasons there father loved them and the issue about them suing him is vey old that's the past they worked it out now it's time to move on it's another year. and tomi rae need to sit down and discuss things with the family appearing on all these talk shows and talking to the media is not called for. whatever is going on is'nt for the entire world to know about that's not proffessional or acceptable that's only giving people more to talk about and i'm tired of turning on my t.v. hearing about it.Rev Al Sharpton is like James Brown adoptive son so yama and deanna did'nt have to hire him to do anything he lost a father also that's how rumors are started putting out false information.Augusta don't need anymore bad press let him rest in peace and stop telling your business it look worser by the d

Jen2803
Jen2803 01/04/07 - 05:22 pm
Shatt you said it best. I

Shatt you said it best. I would hate to know that I was judged while at the pearly gates for what I have said and done to others. I wish everyone could learn from you. God Bless the James Brown family, ALL of them.

hudd
hudd 01/04/07 - 06:12 pm
Methinks I smell a drama

Methinks I smell a drama queen. Check out the pictures of the JB tribute at the Soul Bar on this very website. This event took place only a few hours after the memorial service. Tomi ain't lookin like a grieving widow to me. Looks like she's having the time of her life, laughin it up.

JB's daughter Deanna is another one. As I listened to her speech at the Arena I could've sworn she was getting ready to
accept an Academy Award!

It's a sad day to see a great man's legacy and fortune pilfered by grandstanding, two bit drama queens.

0430 01/04/07 - 07:59 pm
This is for

This is for thankgodforcolumbiacounty message on 3 Jan. You stated that "James Brown will never be in the same class as Elvis". You were right because James Brown would have never fallen in love with a 14 year old child (Priscilla) that he met in Germany. As you know Elvis was in the Army and station in Germany. Elvis was in a class of his own when it came to young girls. Oh yea, Elvis didn't shoot at people but he like shooting the televisions inside his home.

hudd
hudd 01/04/07 - 08:10 pm
Actually Elvis DID shoot at

Actually Elvis DID shoot at people. His reckless, drug fueled handling of firearms almost got several people killed. The Memphis Mafia book of a few years back is replete with anecdotes from his inner circle about firearms discharged in hotel rooms, pointed at people in rage and machine gun fire at hallucinogenic snakes Elvis thought he saw crawling in the trees at Graceland.

El also came close to killing Priscilla and at least one other girl with drug OD's. It's in Priscilla's memoir. He also sent his staff
with falsified prescriptions to buy drugs all over the USA.

Elvis is no paragon of virtue in comparison with James Brown. They have more in common than in contrast. JB considered
himself and Elvis to be kindred spirits. In fact, the Godfather was one of the first on the scene after Elvis died. He made a beeline to Graceland to support the King after he died. Would Elvis have done the same for him????

idnts701
idnts701 01/04/07 - 08:32 pm
In listening to Tomi's

In listening to Tomi's statements on LK show, she said she and her son (JB, Jr) were collecting Mr. Brown's SS benefits. Now, if she was not married (legally) to Mr. Brown, then how could she collect his Social Security Benefits? YOU HAVE TO BE LEGALLY MARRIED to your spouse in order to get those beneifts--it is automatic for the children as long as they are in school or if the child(ren) special need or they are mentally challenged. So that means they had to be legally married for her to collect his benefits. I know that after my father passed and before my mother passed (in 2002), she began collecting his VA (survivor benefits) and when she turned 65, she began collecting his SS benefits and they were LEGALLY married. Now, the question is, is she herself getting Mr. Brown's SS benefits in additon to JB, Jr. getting the SS or is JB, Jr. only collecting SS benefits and it comes in her name for JB, Jr.?

OnlyOneOpinion
OnlyOneOpinion 01/04/07 - 08:38 pm
Tammi Ray get over it! You

Tammi Ray get over it! You were not locked out, the property was secured! She seems to be the only one making a spectacle of herself. We have not heard a word from the children; therefore I think people need to stop accusing them of being greedy or selfish. THERE HAS BEEN ONE PERSON, AND ONE PERSON ONLY MAKING PUBLIC APPEARANCES--TAMMI RAY!

getreal2
getreal2 01/04/07 - 09:25 pm
I agree completely with

I agree completely with thankgodforcolumbiacounty

getreal2
getreal2 01/04/07 - 09:33 pm
I totally agree with

I totally agree with Payback67. Read the will and get this over with. Or is there something in the will that they don't want to come out yet, until they find a legal way around it?

devaughny
devaughny 01/04/07 - 09:53 pm
PERFECTLY REHERSHED INTERVIEW

PERFECTLY REHERSHED INTERVIEW !!!!!!! im glad that self serving al sharpton took the high road tonight. Larry king was baiting Deanna in by 1st asking jokingly "what your father did to relax?" Deanna replayed,"we certainly didn't go to the beach cause, he might get his hair wet". before the joke was completed, AL made sure that Deanna stuck to her rehersed lines. Deanna was ready to offer up another saga to the now infamous family fued... but i glad Al 'shark-ton' took the high road this time....

mysay
mysay 01/05/07 - 12:25 am
At the funeral I mourned with

At the funeral I mourned with thousands.Tomi Rae may be a bit of a drama queen.But even drama queens have feelings.A nurse working with the elderly for years,I saw a lot of different reactions to the death of a love one.Nervously family members/friends might say or act in a way that may be inappropriate.But they are grieving!It is time to move on and let the individuals of the Brown FAMILY grieve his/her own way.Why Tomi Rae wasn't by her husband's bedside shouldn't be an issue.How many of you weren't at the bedside of a love one that passed away,willingly or not?I know more in the CSRA than I can count on both hands,feet and more.Attny Opri-during the interview stated Tomi Rae as being disrespectful at the funeral.Was she any more disrespectful singing to her departed husband than the daughter was dancing?They were EXPRESSING themself.Mr Sharpton,I was moved by his sincerity.He was respectful and very much respected.He showed nor voiced any racialism.He was a superb officiant.Mr Jackson wasn't as dignified.Even at a funeral, he had to make RACIAL remarks.Mr Brown wasn't about black or white.He would be appauled at the actions of family,attny,and fans.LET MR BROWN REST IN PEACE.

j_bren803
j_bren803 01/05/07 - 12:59 am
Ms. Hynie had the tears of

Ms. Hynie had the tears of Susan Smith; there were no tears. This woman has created so much drama and obvious that she is afraid she is not going to get any money out of Mr. Brown's death. She is creating so much drama. Why should Mr. Brown's children allow her to make funeral arragements for their father? Where was she at the time of his death? She showed up the day after he died. Mr. Brown's attorney stated on Larry King that she was seen partying on 12/23in Calif. According to a local newspaper back in April 2004 she was not legally married to Mr. Brown because she was married to Java Ahmed in Houston, TX. February 1997. How can you be legally married if you're a bigamist? Since she was not legally married and wasn't even with him when he died, she had no right to be involved in his affairs. When she did show up after is death, she made three different claims as to why she was not with him. It appears that she is an atrocious liar and is now worried about taking authority over all of Mr. Brown's assets;financial and otherwise. I think Mr. Brown's attorney said it very well on Larry King live, "She needs to understand where she fits into Mr. Brown's life."

j_bren803
j_bren803 01/05/07 - 01:12 am
I agree with you, that Ms.

I agree with you, that Ms. Hynie has really laid the ground work for total failure. She has created so much drama that her motive is very obvious. She has done everything to bring shame to Mr. Brown's children. I really haven't seen Mr. Brown's children behaving in a bizzare manner toward Ms. Hynie. Obviously, Mr. Brown did not leave Ms. Hynie in charge of anyhthing. If she were legally married to Mr. Brown his children could not have been in charge of anything over his legal wife. I cannot believe that this woman is creating so much local, national and internatioal drama. It's such a cry for attention. Yeah, she needs to sit down.

j_bren803
j_bren803 01/05/07 - 01:31 am
Martinez, according to a

Martinez, according to a local newspaper that came out in April 2004, Ms. Hynie was not legally married to Mr. Brown. When she married Mr. Brown she was also married to Mr. Java Ahmed in Houston, TX in 1997. She was awarded an annulment in Family Court in Charleston, SC in 2004 according the Associated Press. I don't see how an annulment can legalize bigamy three years later. The paper stated that the marriage was not a legal marriage because she was already married. Why should she be awarded the benefits of legal marriage when she is not married to Mr. Brown. This is a predicament that she has created for herself. Were she legally married Mr. Brown's children or attorney's could not usurp authority over Mr. Brown's legal wife!

j_bren803
j_bren803 01/05/07 - 01:42 am
Idnts701, you are absoultely

Idnts701, you are absoultely right. She can only collect Social Security Benefits if she is the legal wife. I think Ms. Tomi Rae Hynie exxagerates her stories. Mr. Brown died on Christmas day, so she is not already collecting SS Benefits for her son or herself. We all know that it takes months to collect Social Security Benefits. Ms. Hynie is not always telling the truth. What do you expect out of a woman who goes to great lengths to have a wedding and is already married to somebody else. Marrying under false pretense tells us all something about that persons character. She can't be collecting SS in two weeks. She is emotionally sick!

TAKE_ME_AS_I_AM
TAKE_ME_AS_I_AM 01/05/07 - 04:46 am
all i have to say is "lord

all i have to say is "lord have mercy".why must we be so judgemental? i say we all should mind our own business. no matter what ms. tomi says on tv or state to the media,thats her choice. none of us know how she feel or how mr. brown truely felt about her,obviuosly he had love for her.so why cant we as people respect that? lets just all be civil and pray for the best. and keep in mind that god is watching us just as close as we are watching ms.tomi. no matter who in this matter is wrong or unfair a higher being will handle him/her. may mr. brown rest peacefuly in heaven and may each of us on earth get right with the lord.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/05/07 - 07:46 am
j_bren-- you might need to

j_bren-- you might need to watch that clip of Tomi Rae on Larry King a few times before you quote anyone from it. She did not say she is recieving any social security yet. She said she and her son WILL recieve it. And it does not take MONTHS. If you have the correct paper work, it only takes a month or two.

I saw that interview, and I think she said way too much. She had no business telling how much James Brown left her in the bank. She mentioned money too many times. I think she should hire an attorney that will speak for her because she obviously doesn't know how to do interviews.

It's a bad idea to pretend to cry, too. I'm sure she has done a lot of crying already, but there is no need to fake it.

I do not agree with them locking her out of the house on Christmas morning. They could have let her stay there until legal issues were ironed out.

Now even though I don't agree with how they are treating Tomi Rae, I must admit that Deanna Brown's appearance on LK last night was very tasteful because she did not acknowledge any of Tomi Rae's accusations. She knows when to comment and when not to. (but) she has more experience with dealing with the media than Tomi Rae does.

alexbjay
alexbjay 01/05/07 - 08:33 am
Does anybody really think

Does anybody really think Tomi Rae is going to read any of this? Elvis touched the people he touched and James Brown touched the people he was anointed to touch. racist people will always have an opinion that has nothing to do with the heart. love has nothing to do with racism. so all the JB haters check your heart I read comments about stand JB in the corner at his house, and take him to his statue i need a place for my dog to use the bathroom and all that foolisness. but for every soulish selfish intent there is a day of reconing and a day of redemption. and all of us even the racism america will have to face the maker. I was appauled at some of the comments about JB and I wasn't a huge fan but I had respect for his influence. at 44 i dont remember Elvis, or John lennon ever got the nasty comments this man has gotten.this man changed and influenced thousands of artist stones, beattles etc etc check yourself. he was still somebodys father, friend, mentor and according to reports very generous. if you who are haters are as gracious to give what Mr.Brown gave in 73yrs good or bad right wrong or indifferent then amen

0122 01/05/07 - 10:13 am
as long as there is something

as long as there is something going on in the media regarding the brown family, there will always be something negative to comment on. we all have so much to say and our opinions to express. think about this. if it were you and your family in the spot light, how would you feel with all of this going on? he who is without sin, cast the first stone!

BlackJack7
BlackJack7 01/05/07 - 11:09 am
If I may paraphrase the

If I may paraphrase the legendary Forest Gump - TRAILER TRASH IS - TRAILER TRASH DOES.... Mr. Brown may have rescued Tomi Rae and her parents from the trailerpark and left her with 80-grand - she's STILL trailer trash in the head!!!

mysay
mysay 01/05/07 - 12:08 pm
If you live in Augusta, North

If you live in Augusta, North Augusta, Beech Island or surrounding towns, you heard James Brown's name mentioned for the good and the bad he did. If you or I were famous think of the good and bad that would be public knowledge. I think you are wrong assuming all that live in trailers are TRAILER TRASH. So how many are you proclaiming to be TRASH. AND NO I DON'T LIVE IN A TRAILER. I just think it is wrong to stereotype. The one that stands out the most in this fiasco is the SILENT DAUGHTER. Saying nothing often says more than those who speak the loudest. For that Daugher I applaud her. If anyone can she can carry on his image.

redladya
redladya 01/05/07 - 01:31 pm
I personally think it is very

I personally think it is very shameful the way Ms. Haynie is conducting herself. Why not let legal matters resolve the issues of who gets what? Why not be at home with your little boy, who has lost his father? Regardless, of whether or not he is Mr. Brown's legal child, I'm sure Mr. Brown has provided for his future and hers if she would just be patient. I agree with mysay, his daugther Deanna knows that her father was private regardless of the fame and she is conducting herself very well. It just saddens my heart to know that when a person dies there is just so little respect and compassion in the hearts of man!

toppergem
toppergem 01/05/07 - 02:06 pm
I loved the Godfather of

I loved the Godfather of Soul. I thought that he was a very dear man and a musical wizard. He deserved the respect and recognition that he is now receiving in death.

Mr. Brown was human and like all humans, capable of making mistakes. So let's stop acting like his troubles disqualifies him from being someone that others should respect and imulate.

We all have our own personal demons, we are just lucky that our lives are not recorded for all the world to see. Do what you think is best Brown Family...it will all work itself out as it is suppose to be.

Daltonnc
Daltonnc 01/05/07 - 02:53 pm
I have been very impressed

I have been very impressed with the out pouring of love for James Brown and his family. I do not live in Georgia, but watching the caring community makes me wish I did. I tuned in to LK and watched most of the program with Ms. Haynie. I too kept an eye out for the tear. I couldn't believe it when she said she and her son gets social security. She has to be 62 to even apply for social security, unless she has applied for some kind of disability. She does not appear to be disabled. I do believe her son may get social security until he is an adult. Mr. King ask her a second time, she answered that she was getting social security. Pretty strange if you ask me. She should get behind closed doors and stay there. Yes, she may mourn JB, thats fine, but do that in private. Ms. Haynie should stay off TV and not be giving any interviews.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/05/07 - 02:58 pm
Have they buried James Brown

Have they buried James Brown yet? I heard they were going to bury him at his estate in Beech Island?

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 01/05/07 - 03:05 pm
Tomi Rae had no business

Tomi Rae had no business bringing up social security issues and she should not have talked about the $80,000 JB left her.
She obviously has not been trained on how to give interviews and has not been told what to say and what not to say, therefor, Deanna Brown looked so much the better person by not saying anything about the subject. I'm not agreeing with what they did to Tomi Rae and her son on Christmas morning, I'm just saying Tomi Rae should not do any interviews.

ladydeeny
ladydeeny 01/05/07 - 06:04 pm
What is the timeframe for

What is the timeframe for probate of a deceased's will in Georgia? Just remember that whatever doesn't come out in the wash, ALWAYS comes out in the rinse.

TO SPORTY CHICK, you're right. My bad. I am learning a lot from this situation about what I need to do in preparation for my own death. I don't want the people who matter to me, to go through these kinds of changes. It's just crazy. It's amazing how death changes people outwardly.