Athens chamber gets interim president
ATHENS - Ed Graham, the chairman of the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce, has been named interim president while the business association seeks a replacement for Larry McKinney.
Mr. Graham said in a news release that he anticipates a new president to be appointed in April. The chamber's board of directors appointed him to the interim post.
Mr. McKinney had been president for more than three years when he resigned in September to take a similar position with the Daytona Beach/Halifax Area Chamber of Commerce in Florida.
County's counterfeit money an 'epidemic'
MACON - In Bibb County, investigators are working with the U.S. Secret Service after noticing a number of counterfeit $50 and $100 bills scattered throughout the county, Capt. David Davis, Bibb County sheriff's spokesman, told The Macon Telegraph.
Macon police Lt. Tracey Brazee said she sees three to five counterfeit cases a day from the first and second precincts, which is about the same number in precincts 3 and 4.
"It's becoming an epidemic," Lt. Brazee said. "It's all over the city. It's not isolated."
Widow, oil company reach settlement
JEFFERSON - The widow of a truck driver who was killed in a fiery explosion a year and a half ago has settled out of court with the Arcade oil company where her husband died.
In January, Debra A. Brown, the widow of an independent contractor killed in a June 19, 2005, explosion at Joe Sikes Oil Service Inc., filed a lawsuit against the company's owner, saying he is to blame for her husband's death.
The lawsuit was settled in August, but notice of the settlement wasn't filed in Jackson County Superior Court until recently.
The widow received a payment from Sikes' insurance company, but the details were not made public.
Firefighters find woman dead in home
COLUMBUS - An elderly woman was found dead after a fire ignited in her home.
Firefighters found Tinnie Cherry, 75, when they entered the disabled woman's home Friday morning, Muscogee County Coroner James Dunnavant said.
"It looks like she might have fallen on the furnace and caught her clothes on fire," Fire Marshal Greg Lang told The Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us