ATLANTA -- The state Board of Education has formally approved a pair of Augusta area class-size exemptions.
The board passed the exemptions, along with 24 others from across the state, without comment Thursday. They include a request for Columbia County's Brookwood Elementary to increase first-grade classes from 21 pupils to 22.
And the following requests in Richmond County:
- Bayvale Elementary. Increase limit for second-grade classes from 21 to 23.
- McBean Elementary. Increase limit for kindergarten from 20 to 23.
- Deer Chase Elementary. Increase first-grade class size by one pupil.
- Goshen, Gracewood, Monte Sano, Terrace Manor, C.T. Walker Magnet and Wilkinson Gardens elementary schools. Increase kindergarten class size by one pupil.
- Gracewood, Rollins, Tobacco Road and C.T. Walker elementary schools. Increase second-grade class size by one pupil.
- Barton Chapel and Wilkinson Gardens elementary schools. Increase third-grade class size by one pupil.
The exceptions are needed because of a law mandating smaller class sizes passed by the General Assembly this past spring.