SAVANNAH, Ga. - A former Savannah Country Day School freshman was released on $5,000 bond Wednesday for his role in taking an explosive device to the private school Nov. 15.
His companion was released on a $2,500 bond.
Chatham County Juvenile Court Judge LeRoy Burke III ruled that neither of the 14-year-olds is a danger to the community.
Judge Burke said his decision was based on the youngsters' good academic records, lack of disciplinary problems and strong family support.
The boys, whose identities are protected because of their juvenile status, are scheduled to return to Judge Burke's courtroom Dec. 28 for an adjudicatory hearing. Both had been held at the Savannah Regional Youth Detention Center since Monday on felony charges of possession and manufacturing an explosive device, possession of a weapon on school property and reckless conduct.
Both youngsters have been expelled.
In addition to the two boys' bonds, Judge Burke ordered the defendants to remain at their homes except to attend school or in their parents' custody. They also are prohibited from contacting each other or having access to pyrotechnics.
Assistant District Attorney Allison Bailey argued that the two teens should remain in detention because they put the community at risk.
"This behavior by both boys is incredibly dangerous and disturbing," she said.
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us