STRESS-PROOF YOUR HOLIDAYS
Here are some tips to take the pressure off and enjoy the holiday season.
- Create a budget and stick to it to help hedge your bets in case of unexpected expenses.
- Shop online year-round to watch for the best deals instead of fighting mall traffic at the last minute.
- Nurture yourself. Take along a favorite blanket, music or DVD for comfort.
- Make wise food choices at the airport. Stick to foods that include omega-3's and Vitamin B.
- Keep moving. Walk up and down the concourse or do stretches.
- Check in before you get to the airport through the airline's Web site, if possible.
- Keep items your children need or want to take with them close at hand in a backpack.
- Make sure your family knows what to bring during an extended stay, such as notes on food allergies or medications.
- Keep old family traditions but make a special attempt to start new traditions with family and friends.
- Contact an out-of-touch relative, friend or old neighbor.
- Get involved with volunteer work in your community.
- Try something new - new foods, hobbies, etc.
- Set the number of parties to attend before hand. On the day of the party, eat two light meals so that the major part of your daily intake will be at the event.
- Eat what you love, but keep the portions down.
- Limit your alcohol and carbohydrate consumption. Drink sparking water with a lime to fill your stomach.
Source: Dr. Kathleen Hall, The Stress Institute
Activities and entertainment events scheduled for this week include:
SANTA ON WHEELS: Children's bicycles will be collected through Dec. 16 at Master Pontiac Buick GMC, 3710 Washington Road, and Andy Jordan's Bicycle Warehouse, 527 13th St.; donors will receive a receipt for tax purposes; volunteers are also needed to deliver bikes; (706) 790-5350
CAT ADOPTION: 6 to 7:30 p.m., Superpetz, 222 Bobby Jones Expressway, Martinez; held by Happy Tails Rescue; (706) 836-2708
THE VOYAGER ENCOUNTERS: 7 and 8 p.m. today and Saturday; Dupont Planetarium, 471 University Parkway, Aiken; $4.50 adults, $3.50 seniors, $2.50 pupils; (803) 641-3769
CHOP COLLEGE FAIR: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Student Center, Paine College, 1235 15th St.; (229) 669-5200
FALL COIN SHOW: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and Saturday; Belair Conference Center, 4081 S. Belair Road. Sponsored by the Augusta Coin Club.
AUTOGRAPH SIGNING: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Lost in the '50s memorabilia store, 610 Edgefield Road, North Augusta; with Sonny West, formerly chief of security for Elvis Presley and co-author of the book Elvis: What Happened
RUMMAGE SALE: 8 a.m., CSRA Humane Society, 425 Wood St.; (706) 261-7387
CHRISTMAS IN SASSAFRAS: 6 to 8 p.m., Sassafras Park at Burnettown Town Hall; refreshments, Christmas music, Mrs. Claus, the Grinch and Santa; free
MEET THE ARTIST: Noon to 4 p.m., Pastel on Richland, 312 Richland Ave., Aiken; meet the artist whose work is available at Pastel; free; (706) 731-9094
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us