Official seeks inquiry on MOX plan for SRS
COLUMBIA - U.S. Rep. John Spratt, R-S.C., has called for an investigation into the status and future of a Savannah River Site facility that would turn material from nuclear weapons into fuel for nuclear power plants.
The House Energy and Water Appropriations subcommittee recently voted to eliminate funding for an SRS program to convert the weapons-grade plutonium into mixed-oxide fuel.
He wants lawmakers to look into the status of construction and design of the South Carolina plant, the cost of terminating the MOX program and the status of negotiations with Russia regarding MOX.
South Carolina agreed in 2002 to accept 34 tons of weapons-grade plutonium at SRS if the U.S. Energy Department built a facility to convert the plutonium into fuel. At the same time, the United States agreed to help fund the construction of a similar MOX plant in Russia, meant to operate on a parallel track with the SRS plant.
Charges filed in fatal shooting at bus stop
COLUMBIA - A man was arrested Wednesday in connection with the March death of a teen who was shot after getting off the bus with his sister.
Tremain T. Jowers, 19, has been charged with murder, Columbia police said.
Derrick Grooms, 19, died from several gunshots to the chest.
Investigators say Mr. Grooms was walking with his sister when a man approached him and fired several rounds.
Ex-officer pleads guilty to homicide
ORANGEBURG - A former Santee police officer was sentenced to seven years in prison, suspended to three years on probation, after pleading guilty to reckless homicide in a 2002 accident that killed a Bowman man.
John Donald "Donnie" Stroman, 61, was killed in the accident at Interstate 26 and State Highway 210.
The officer, Brian Keith Brown, was sentenced after Mr. Stroman's wife, Nancy, who was injured in the accident, said she forgave Mr. Brown.
Mr. Brown will lose his driving privileges for five years, said Mark Plowden, a spokesman for the state Attorney General's Office.
Vandalized sand castle can still go for record
MYRTLE BEACH - Myrtle Beach's shot of being the site of the world tallest sand castle is still alive after crews scrambled to repair damage by vandals.
The men broke through a fence protecting the castle and climbed nearly to the top early Monday morning, causing significant damage, said Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce Vice President Stephen Greene.
It took half a day, but the crew building the 35-foot-tall castle repaired the damage.
A security guard captured one of the men, but as of Tuesday no charges had been filed, Mr. Greene said.
Team Sandtastic of Florida has been working on the castle since May 31. It is 60 feet wide at its base and contains 130 dump truck loads of sand.
- Edited from wire reports
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us