Originally created 04/12/06

News you can use


CHAMBER MEETING: Midland Valley Area Chamber of Commerce will meet at noon at Bobby's Bar-B-Q, Buffet and Catering, 1897 Jefferson Davis Highway. Scott Enter will report about the status of the Heritage Corridor. Reservations are not necessary. Call (803) 645-4429.

GOLF BALL DISCOUNT: Visitors who take a set of new golf balls to the Woodrow Wilson Boyhood Home during April will receive $1 off the regular admission price. All balls will be donated to First Tee Augusta. The house, at 419 Seventh St., is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday. Regular admission costs $5 for adults, $4 for senior citizens and $3 for students. For more information, call (706) 722-9828.

SCULPTURE CONTEST: The Southeastern Regional Sculpture Competition will run through April 23 at Aiken County Historical Museum, 433 Newberry St. S.W. The museum is open from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. Call (803) 642-2015 for more information.


FREE LUNCH AND LEARN: The event will be from noon to 1 p.m. at Medical College of Georgia Alumni Center, 910 15th St. Depression and behavioral changes in Alzheimer's sufferers will be discussed. Call (706) 721-9060 for more information.

REEL ART SERIES: The film The Edukators will be shown at 7 p.m. at Aiken Center for the Arts, 122 Laurens St. S.W., as part of the center's Reel Art series. Tickets cost $8. For more information, call (803) 641-9094.


Taxpayers in most of the country will have until Monday to file and pay, because April 15 falls on Saturday. Individual and business taxpayers in the parishes and counties most severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina have until August 28.

If you're trying to beat the tax deadline, there are several options for last-minute help:

- Receive a six-month extension of time to file using Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. The extension will give you extra time to get the paperwork to the IRS, but it does not extend the time you have to pay any tax due.

- Payment options are available to taxpayers having trouble paying their tax bill

- Download forms and publications at IRS.gov

- You can also e-file an extension request using tax preparation software on your own computer or by going to a tax preparer.

- If your return is completed but you are unable to pay the tax due, do not request an extension. File your return on time and pay as much as you can. The IRS will send you a bill or notice for the balance due and will charge interest and penalties only on the unpaid balance.

EXPECTING A RETURN? If you file a complete and accurate paper tax return, your refund should be issued in about six to eight weeks from the date the IRS receives your return. If you file your return electronically, your refund should be issued in about half that time - even faster when you choose direct deposit.

CHECKING REFUND STATUS: You can check on the status of your refund seven days after you e-filed your return or four to six weeks after mailing your return. There are several ways to check the status of your refund. To use these applications, you will need the first Social Security number shown on the return, your filing status and the amount of the refund.

- The fastest, easiest way to find out about your current year refund is access IRS.gov and click on the "Where's My Refund" link available from the home page.

- Call the IRS Refund Hotline at 1-800-829-1954.

- Call IRS TeleTax System at 1-800-829-4477. TeleTax's refund information is updated each weekend - if you do not get a date for your refund, wait until the next week before calling back.

Source: Internal Revenue Service


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us