Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, GA 30903-1928, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number: (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
- The Columbia County Recreation Department is looking for umpires for the spring and summer season. A meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Patriots Park administrative offices. For more information, call Jim Mock or Randy Haygood at (706) 863-7523.
- USSSA Garden City Shootout qualifier at Diamond Lakes Park on April 15-16 for 8-under to 14-under divisions. For information, call Bob at (706) 595-8136 or Cap at (706) 738-0723.
- The USSSA Powerade/Coca Cola Classic for state and world series qualifier for ages 8U-14U will be held May 13-14 at Diamond Lakes Park. For information, call Bob at (706) 595-8136 or Cap at (706) 738-0723, or go to www.eastgausssa.com.
- The USSSA Middle Georgia Bat War state and world series qualifier for ages 8U-13U will be held May 20-21 at Southern Pines Park in Dublin, Ga. For information, call Bob at (706) 595-8136 or Cap at (706) 738-0723, or go to www.eastgausssa.com.
- The 26th Annual Robert Sapp Baseball Camp is accepting applications for its summer session at Sweetwater Park from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. June 5-9. The camp is for boys ages 7-14. Fee costs $120 with team rates available. For information, call the Thomson Recreation Department at (706) 595-2152, Robert Sapp at (770) 287-3309, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Southeastern Baseball Showcase will be held at 11 a.m. June 25 at Kennesaw State for the class of 2007-08. For information, call (404) 869-7966 or www.angelfire.com/sports/showcase.
- The CSRA Sports Fan Club will take 50 people to see the Braves play the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. The trip includes roundtrip airfare, tickets to three games at Yankee Stadium, a hotel room in New York City, sightseeing and ground transportation. For information, call (706) 860-8583.
- The 8U Pony travel team is looking for players. Eligible players must not turn 9 before May 1. For information, call Raymond Bailey at (803) 593-2982 or (706) 832-3073.
- The 9U Georgia Futures travel team is scheduling tryouts for the 2006 season. For information, call Robbie Shearer at (706) 799-5692.
- An established 10U team is looking for one player to complete its 2006 roster. The player must not turn 11 before May 1. For information, call (706) 339-2020.
- The 10-younger Georgia Lightning travel team is seeking three players. Eligible players must not turn 11 before May 1. For information, call Shane Haycraft at (478) 625-8810 or (706) 840-4917.
- Thrashers Baseball, a 10U tournament team, is looking for two players to complete its 2006 roster. Players must not turn 11 before May 1. For information, call Bert Harrison at (706) 533-0207.
- The 12-younger Grease Lightning travel team is seeking three players. Eligible players must not turn 13 before May 1. For information, call Dean Glover at (706) 868-4530 or Kevin Hunt at (706) 210-0185.
- An established USSSA 12U travel baseball team is holding tryouts for the upcoming season. For information, call (706) 840-1066.
- An 18U travel team is looking for advanced players for the 2006 season. The team will play in tournaments/showcases for the purpose of preparing players for the next level of play. For information, call Tony Mangieri at (706) 554-3134, e-mail at TonyMangieri@aol.com.
- Putt-Putt Predators Travel and Developmental Baseball Program is taking applications for tryouts for players 9, 10, 11 and 12 and younger travel teams. For information, call Mark Ross at (706) 868-0084, or go to www.eteamz.active.com/PB.
- 5-Tool Baseball is offering individual pitching and hitting lessons from professional instructors, and winter workouts for ages 8-13. For information, call George Blackburn at (706) 364-5282.
- The Augusta Recreation & Parks Department is looking for boys ages 15-17 for its upcoming youth season at Eisenhower Park. For information, call (706) 821-2800.
- Exposure and showcase basketball camps for boys will be held Saturday in Columbus, Ga. (Columbus State), April 22 in Lakeland, Fla. (Florida Southern), and April 29 in Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Middle Tennessee). For information, call (478) 452-7990, e-mail email@example.com, or go to www.Southernprephoops.org.
- The United One Way Baptist Church team is looking for a volunteer coach immediately, as well as power forwards and centers for the team. For information, call Steve at (706) 373-1872.
- Applications are now being evaluated for the Ten Star All Star Summer Basketball Camp for boys and girls ages 10-19. The camp is by invitation only. For information, call (704) 373-0873.
- The Boys and Girls Clubs of Augusta is accepting registrations from girls ages 8 to 18 years old to play in the Jr. WNBA basketball league. The league will begin Monday. The registration fee costs $10 and includes uniforms. For more information, call (706) 312-2200 or (706) 737-3554.
- Augusta native Rayonta Whitfield will fight Fidencio Reyes at Augusta-Richmond County Civic Center April 19 as part of ESPN's Wednesday Night Fights. Tickets will be on sale at all Ticketmaster locations, online at www.ticketmaster.com, at the Augusta-Richmond County Civic Center box office. For information, call (662) 349-6263 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Season tickets are on sale now for Georgia Ragin' Bulls minor league football. Season tickets cost $25. General admission tickets will be $8, children 8-14 are $3, and 5 and younger are free. Military, EMS, Fire, and Police are $5 with I.D. Seniors 60 and older are $3. Three VIP passes are also available. They cost $200 and include an autographed football, team shirt, and access to locker rooms, pregame warm-ups and a seat on the sidelines. For information, call Jimmy Cronan at (706) 284-9108.
- The Brandon Lynch Camp will be held April 22 and June 30 at the Boys & Girls Club in Augusta. Cost to attend is $100. Camp instructors will be Brandon Lynch and four other Indianapolis Colts, one athlete from the Miami Dolphins and one athlete from the Seattle Seahawks. For information, call (803) 270-0750.
- The Augusta State University Alumni and Friends Lauderdale Championship in women, senior and open divisions will be held April 21 at Forest Hills Golf Club. For information, call Michelle Ellington at (706) 737-1759.
- The Under 19 boys' team for the three-county area will practice from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Saturday at the Evans Recreation Field behind Kroger at Ronald Reagan Drive and North Belair Road. Equipment will be supplied. For information, call (706) 854-1908 or (706) 733-4271.
- A new water polo league will begin at the Augusta Aquatics Center for ages 15 and up. For information, call George Ivey at (706) 261-0426.
- The Augusta Rugby Football Club will practice 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at May Park. New players are welcome. No experience necessary. For information, call Tony Martin at (803) 292-6278, or e-mail email@example.com.
- The Augusta Striders Running Club is accepting enrollment for its Augusta Striders Inhibited Velocity Running Team. Members of this four-month training plan will receive a personalized training plan, meet once a week with the coach, and participate in running Augusta's Broad Street Ramble 10K Road Race in September. Cost is $130 and includes the training plan, weekly training sessions, membership in the Augusta Striders, and pre-registration in the Broad Street Ramble. Team training will be at 6:15 p.m. every Tuesday from May 2 to Aug. 22 at the Wheeler Road track. For information, go to www.augustastriders.com.
- The Columbia County Patriots have a few openings for boys and girls ages 8-14 for select teams for the spring 2006 season. For information, call (706) 312-7488 or go to www.patriotssoccer.org.
- The USSSA Girls' Bulldog Classic state and world series qualifier will be held Wednesday at Sweetwater Park for ages 8U-18U (10U and 8U will be machine pitch). For more information, call Bob at (706) 595-8136 or Cap at (706) 738-0723.
- The USSSA Garden City Shootout for men's C , C, D , D, and E teams will be held Saturday at Diamond Lakes Park. For more information, call Bob at (706) 595-8136 or Cap at (706) 738-0723, or go to www.eastgausssa.com.
- The Augusta Recreation and Parks Department is holding a summer softball adult registration through April 30. Leagues available are men's, women's, co-ed church and co-ed open. For more information, call Lida Gregg at (706) 842-2682.
- The 14U Georgia Rockers girls fast-pitch team is looking for one catcher and one other position player for the 2006 season. For information, call Tom Tracy at (706) 860-1917 or Darrell Hampson at (706) 868-8546.
- The 16 and younger Augusta Flash girls fast-pitch travel team is looking for experienced, dedicated players. An 18-younger college exposure age group will be added for 2006. For information, call Jeff Towe at (706) 868-8485 or Casey Lemon at (706) 796-7026.
- A new area 18U fast-pitch team will be having tryouts for all positions for the 2006 season. Girls ages 15-17 are invited to try out. For information, call David Collins at (706) 951-3630.
- The Love Doubles League is a new, semi-competitive league based on individual round robin. Players draw a number before the match, and based on the number is assigned a partner, court and opponents. Players may end up playing with or against teammates. At the end of three rounds, the player with the most points wins. For information, call Mary Sicard at (706) 737-6546 or (706) 306-0059.
- The Augusta Flyers Track Club is looking for new members. Youth between the ages of 7 and 18 are invited to join. Meetings are held the second Monday of each month at the Bernie Ward Community Center. For information, call (706) 738-3737.