Heyward Johnson is Augusta's transit director.
1. If you were going to give an hourlong bus tour, what would you show the passengers?
"That would depend on the group. If it was just a general bus tour, I would show them Sacred Heart Cultural Center and some of the historical sights of Augusta."
2. Is it easier to drive a bus on a pretty day with traffic or on a rainy day without traffic?
"It's easier to drive a bus on a pretty day with traffic because you have to make a lot of stops. On a rainy day, trying to stop a big bus when somebody stops in front of you is real dangerous."
3. Which route has the most customers?
"The Kmart route. It starts downtown on 15th Street and goes down Ninth Street to Laney-Walker Boulevard to 11th Street to Wrightsboro Road to Lee Beard's Way to Essie McIntyre on out to Olive Road back to Martin Luther King to Kissingbower Road to Gordon Highway to Kmart."
4. What is the most unusual item people have left on a bus?
"Themselves. They were drunk."
5. If Augusta commissioners asked you to take them to one of the most interesting places in town, where would you take them?
"I would take them to the transfer facility. That's where all the buses come in and out, and they would get to see a good mix of riders."
© 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us