Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, GA 30903-1928, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number: (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
- The 2006 Pro Modified, GC Drag, and Team Carolina bracket race season openers will end today at Carolina Dragway. Gates open at 10 a.m. Admission is $15 per person, children 10 and under free. For information, call (803) 471-2285 or (877) 471-7223.
- The USSSA March Mud Madness state and world series qualifier will be held Saturday and Sunday at Diamond Lakes for ages 8 and under will be machine pitch. For information, call Bob at (706) 595-8136 or Cap at (706) 738-0723.
- The USSSA Bulldog Classic state and world series qualifier for ages 8-12 will be held at Sweetwater Park on April 1-2. Ages 8 and under will be machine pitch. For information, call Bob at (706) 595-8136 or Cap at (706) 738-0723.
- USSSA Garden City Shootout qualifier at Diamond Lakes Park on April 15-16 for ages 8-under to 14-under. For information, call Bob at 595-8136 or Cap at (706) 738-0723.
- The USSSA Powerade/Coca Cola Classic for state and world series qualifier for ages 8U-14U will be held May 13-14 at Diamond Lakes Park. For information, call Bob at (706) 595-8136 or Cap at (706) 738-0723, or go to www.eastgausssa.com.
- The CSRA Sports Fan Club will take 50 people to see the Braves play the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. The trip includes roundtrip airfare, tickets to three games at Yankee Stadium, a hotel room in New York City, sightseeing and ground transportation. For information, call (706) 860-8583.
- The All American Cage Classic Tournament is looking for AAU, YBOA, USSSA travel teams, as well as public and private middle schools, junior varsity and varsity basketball programs to participate Friday-Sunday at the University of South Florida in Tampa, Fla. For more information, call David Montgomery at (813) 610-7812 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or go to www.aacctournaments.com.
- The Georgia Stars AAU girls 16U team will hold tryouts Saturday and on March 25 at noon. For information, call Clinton Sherman at (706) 796-8552 or (706) 495-2727.
- Exposure and showcase basketball camps for boys will be held Sunday in Rock Hill, S.C. (Winthrop), March 25 in Birmingham, Ala. (Birmingham Southern), April 15 in Columbus, Ga. (Columbus State), April 22 in Lakeland, Fla. (Florida Southern), and April 29 in Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Middle Tennessee). For information, call (478) 452-7990, email email@example.com, or go to www.Southernprephoops.org.
- The United One Way Baptist Church team is looking for a volunteer coach immediately, as well as power forwards and centers for the team. For information, call Steve at (706) 373-1872.
- The Augusta Boxing Club will present "open to the public" sparring matches. Matches will be held every second Thursday of each month at the Augusta Boxing Club. For information, call Tom Moraetes at 733-7533.
- The fourth annual Ringside/Comcast Augusta Summer Boxing Classic will be held June 15-17 at May Park Community Center. The tournament is open to boys and girls ages 9-14. For information, call the Augusta Boxing Club at 733-7533.
- Augusta native Rayonta Whitfield will fight Fidencio Reyes at Augusta-Richmond County Civic Center April 19 as part of ESPN's Wednesday Night Fights. Tickets will be on sale at all Ticketmaster locations, online at www.ticketmaster.com, at the Augusta-Richmond County Civic Center box office. For information, call (662) 349-6263 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cheerleading for the 2006 Georgia Ragin' Bulls will be held Saturday at Premier Athletics of Augusta. Registration will begin at 3:30 p.m. and tryouts will begin at 4 p.m. A $40 tryout fee will be due upon registration. Tryouts are open to serious cheerleaders entering 12th grade or older. For more information, call Premier Athletics at (706) 737-2727 or go to www.premiercheeraugusta.com.
- The Hayden's All-Star Cheerleading program will hold tryouts for the 2006-2007 competition squad March 25 at Haydens Cheer Gym. Boys and girls in the 12th grade and below are eligible. No experience is necessary. Preparation clinics will be held March 20 and 22 at the cheer gym. A parent information meeting will be held Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Haydens International Gymnastics Academy. For information, call Leslie Anderson at 868-0608.
- The Georgia Ragin' Bulls minor league football team will hold final tryouts March 25 at Glenn Hills High School. Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m., and tryouts will begin at 10 a.m. Latecomers will not be allowed to participate. Cost to tryout will be $60, cash only. for more information, call Jimmy Cronan at (706) 284-9108, Ronnie Cushman at (706) 414-8332, or Bill Owens at (706) 564-8248.
- The Mutual of Omaha's Drive, Chip & Putt will be at the First Tee in Augusta on March 25 at 1 p.m. It is open to all youngsters, regardless of golf experience. For information, go to www.TheGolfChannel.com or call (706) 364-4653.
- The Augusta District Dietetic Association will hold its 13th annual tournament at Gordon Lakes Golf Course on March 25. Cost is $55 which includes a certificate for nine free holes to be used at a later date. For more information, go to www.adda-online.org or call Jeannie Hatfield-Laube at (706) 721-1754 or (706) 592-5797.
- The Widow's Cup Tournament will be held at Mt. Vintage Plantation May 22, with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. Fee is $65 per golfer in advance, $75 the day of the event. Cost includes cart and green fee, food, range balls, golf towel and tees. There will be a 60-team limit. For info, call Tommy Williams at 771-2801.
- The Fore Everyone adaptive free golf clinic are held the second Tuesday of every month from 10 a.m. until noon at First Tee of Augusta. The clinic is designed to work on swing, stance and grip while putting, chipping, and driving for golfers with disabilities. For more information, call Judie Thompson at (706) 823-8691.
- The Under 19 boys' team for the three-county area will practice every Saturday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Evans Recreation Field behind Kroger at Ronald Reagan Drive and North Belair Road. Equipment will be supplied. For more information, call 854-1908 or 733-4271.
- The Augusta Ice Sports Center will hold free skating and hockey clinics on Sunday and on March 26. For information, call 863-0061.
- Community Partner for Clean Waterways has organized a cleanup for the lower Augusta Canal and Lake Olmstead on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Volunteers are welcome to bring canoes if they have them but participants can access the shore on foot. Free lunch and T-shirt after cleanup. For info or to register, contact Margaret Harrison (823-0440, ext. 219) or Frank Carl (364-5253).
- Georgia Southern's Greater Augusta Eagle Club will hold its annual spring banquet March 24. New football coach Brian VanGorder will be the featured speaker. There will be a 6:30 p.m. social and 7 p.m. barbeque at Savannah Rapids Pavilion. Tickets are $15 for adults and $7 for children ages 5-12. Children under 5 are free. For information, call Tammy Shepherd at (706) 855-0671, Hartie or Angie Cliatt at (706) 650-7865 or Kate Channell at (706) 399-8532.
- A new water polo league will begin at the Augusta Aquatics Center for ages 15 and up. For information, call George Ivey at (706) 261-0426.
- The Augusta Rugby Football Club will practice Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:30-8:30 p.m. at May Park. New players are welcome. No experience necessary. For information, call Tony Martin at (803) 292-6278, or e-mail email@example.com.
- The Columbia County Patriots have a few openings for boys and girls ages 8-14 for select teams for the spring 2006 season. For more information, call (706)312-7488 or go to www.patriotssoccer.org.
- The 14U Blast Fast Pitch team is looking for serious players for its 2005-06 team. For information, call Eddie Alexander at 796-8335 or Brad Howell at (803) 663-8895.
- The USSSA Powerade Classic for men's C+, C, D+, D, and E teams will be held March 25 at Sweetwater Park. For more information, call Bob at (706) 595-8136 or Cap at (706) 738-0723, or go to www.eastgausssa.com.
- The USSSA Girls' Bulldog Classic state and world series qualifier will be held April 12 at Sweetwater Park for ages 8U-18U (10U and 8U will be machine pitch). For information, call Bob at (706) 595-8136 or Cap at (706) 738-0723.
- The USSSA Garden City Shootout for men's C+, C, D+, D, and E teams will be held April 15 at Diamond Lakes Park. For information, call Bob at (706) 595-8136 or Cap at (706) 738-0723, or go to www.eastgausssa.com.
- The USSSA Powerade/Coca Cola May 6-7 at Sweetwater Park. For information, call Monte Ashcroft at (706) 595-2152 or Cap at (706) 738-0723, or go to www.eastgausssa.com.
- The Petersburg Racquet Club Junior Satellite Tournament will be March 25-26. The GTA event has boys and girls divisions in 10-, 12-, 14-, 16- and 18-under. Entry deadline is March 18; players can enter at www.usta.com or www.prctennis.com. For information, call Joseph Mullins at (706) 860-9288.
- The CSRA Tennis Association is offering free lessons throughout March for beginning players or those who have not played in a long time. For info, call Fleming Tennis Center (796-5046), Newman Tennis Center (821-1600), Petersburg Racquet Club (860-9288), The Club at Rae's Creek (738-4122) or Warren Road Community Center (833-9621) or www.playtennisaugusta.com.
- The Augusta Flyers Track Club is looking for new members. Youth between the ages of 7 and 18 are invited to join. Meetings are held the second Monday of each month at the Bernie Ward Community Center. For information, call 738-3737.