- Augusta Commission: 1:30 Swearing-in; 2 p.m., eighth-floor commission chamber, municipal building, 530 Greene St.
- Edgefield County Council: 6 p.m., county council chambers, 225 Jeter St.
- Columbia County Recreation Advisory Board: 6 p.m., Patriots Park Administration office, 5445 Columbia Road, Grovetown
- Columbia County Planning and Zoning Commission: 6:30 p.m., Evans Government Center auditorium, 630 Ronald Reagan Drive
- Columbia County Community Events Committee: 6 p.m., Evans Government Center, Building A general conference room, 630 Ronald Reagan Drive
- Aiken County Sub-committees: Development 4 p.m.; Administrative 5 p.m., Judicial and Public Safety 6 p.m., council chambers, 736 Richland Ave. W
- Aiken County Council: 7 p.m., council chambers, 736 Richland Ave. W; work session at 6 p.m.
- Columbia County consolidation informational session: 6 p.m., Appling Courthouse, 1958 Appling Harlem Road
- Columbia County Board of Education: 6 p.m., Evans Government Center auditorium, 630 Ronald Reagan Drive; regular session
- Aiken County Board of Education: 7 p.m. Tuesday, district office, 1000 Brookhaven Drive, Aiken
- Columbia County Greenspace Advisory Board: 8 a.m. Wednesday, Evans Government Center auditorium, 630 Ronald Reagan Drive
Today in regional history:
JAN. 3, 1933
CHARLESTON, S.C. - A coroner's jury has ordered Annie Laurie Gray held for the slaying of her husband, James B. Gray, 40, of Augusta, a railroad fireman, as he slept in their home here early yesterday.
The jury returned a verdict that Mr. Gray came to his death from "pistol wounds of the head, said wounds inflicted with a pistol in the hands of Annie Laurie Gray."
Mrs. Gray, 35, was being held in the county jail but may be released on habeas corpus proceedings Tuesday. She has a burn on her arm, which she said was caused when her husband shoved her against a stove Sunday.
To keep your diet high in natural salicylates - the main ingredient in aspirin that protects against heart attack - eat a lot of oranges, raspberries and apricots. You can also season your food with generous helpings of cinnamon and curry.