Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, GA 30903-1928, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number: (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
- The Augusta Sidewinders 13U team will hold tryouts Jan 7-8 at Diamond Lakes from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. All skilled 14-year-olds are encouraged to try out. For more information, call coach McCain at (706) 796-7961 or (706) 726-3577.
- The CSRA Warriors program will hold an informational meeting Jan 7 at 10 a.m. at the Abilene Christian Life Center. The meeting is parents and players in 8th through 12th grade that are either homeschooled or attend private schools without a baseball program For information, call John Spurlock at 533-0834 or email@example.com.
- A USSSA 12U travel team is looking for quality players who don't turn 13 before May 1, 2006. Tryouts will be held Jan. 8 and Jan. 22 at 2 p.m. at Riverside Park. For more information, call (706) 267-4066 or (706) 840-1066.
- The CSRA Baseball Umpires Camp will be held Jan. 28 at Westside High School from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Major League Baseball umpires Marvin Hudson and Fieldin Culbreth are scheduled to attend. The camp will include a GHSA clinic, Dixie certification and USSSA certification. Fee is $60 and includes lunch. For more information, call (706) 564-0051.
- Ripken Baseball will play host to a coaching clinic for coaches, parents and baseball enthusiasts at Georgia Tech on Jan. 28. Cost is $99 per person and includes lunch. Group rates are available. The event will begin at 10 a.m. For more information, call 1 (800) 486-0850 or go to www.ripkenbaseball.com.
- The CSRA Sports Fan Club will take 50 people to see the Braves play the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. The trip includes roundtrip airfare, tickets to three games at Yankee Stadium, a hotel room in New York City, sightseeing and ground transportation. For more information, call (706) 860-8583.
- The 9U Georgia Futures travel team is currently scheduling tryouts for the 2006 season. For information, call Robbie Shearer at (706) 799-5692.
- The 10-under Georgia Lightning travel team is seeking three players. Eligible players must not turn 11 before May 1. For information, call Shane Haycraft at (478) 625-8810 or (706) 840-4917.
- The Evans Express is holding 11-under player evaluations. Eligible players must not turn 12 before May 1. For information, call Mike Hill at (706) 210-8700.
- The 12-under Georgia Lightning travel team is seeking three players. Eligible players must not turn 13 before May 1. For information, call Dean Glover at (706) 868-4530 or Kevin Hunt at (706) 210-0185.
- A local 12-under team is looking for three new players. For information, call Robert at 840-1066.
- The Georgia Stallions, an 18-under travel team based in Swainsboro, Ga., is looking for players. Players must not turn 19 before Aug. 1. For information, call Tony Mangieri at (706) 554-3134, email at TonyMangieri@aol.com, or visit www.eteamz.com/gastallions.
- Putt-Putt Predators Travel and Developmental Baseball Program is currently taking applications for tryouts for players 9, 10, 11 and 12 and under travel teams. For more information, call Mark Ross at 868-0084, or go to www.eteamz.active.com/PB.
- The United One Way Baptist Church team is looking for a volunteer coach immediately, as well as power forwards and centers for the team. For information, call Steve at (706) 373-1872.
- Applications are now being evaluated for the Ten Star All Star Summer Basketball Camp for boys and girls ages 10-19. The camp is by invitation only. College basketball scholarships are possible for players selected to the All-American team. For more information, call (704) 373-0873.
- The Comcast 2006 East Coast Silver Gloves boxing championships will be held Jan. 5-7 at the May Park Gym, beginning at 6 p.m. each night. Boxers ages 10-15 from eight east coast states will compete for the opportunity to attend the National Silver Gloves Boxing Championship. Tickets are $5 for adults and $2 for children, and are available at Augusta Boxing Club.
- The Ray Guy Kicking Camp will be held Tuesday-Wednesday at Westside High School. Admission to the camp, which is for all players ages 10 and up, is $375. Camp runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesday. For information, call (270) 843-8393 or go to www.prokicker.com.
- The Georgia Ragin' Bulls, a United Southern Football League team coming to the CSRA in 2006, will hold tryouts for serious players Jan. 14 and 28 at Blanchard Park Field 3 in Martinez. Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m. Preregistration fee is $40. Late registration the day of tryouts will be $60, cash only. For information, Jimmy Cronan at (706) 284-9108, William Owens at (706) 564-8248, or Ronnie Cushman at (706) 414-8332. To pre-register, go to www.leaguelineup.com/raginbullscall.
- The Palmetto Dragons semi-professional team will hold tryouts Jan. 7 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the Odell Weeks Activity Center in Aiken. A $50 registration fee is required. For information, call Robert Molina at (803) 270-0750, (803) 641-0914, or email Molina74@bellsouth.net.
- The Georgia Golf Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will be held Jan. 7 at Radisson Riverfront Hotel Augusta. Formal invitations will be mailed November 2005. For more information, call (706) 724-4443 or go to www.gghf.org.
- The Fore Everyone adaptive free golf clinic are held the second Tuesday of every month from 10 a.m. until noon at First Tee of Augusta. The clinic is designed to work on swing, stance and grip while putting, chipping, and driving for golfers with disabilities. For more information, call Judie Thompson at (706) 823-8691.
- The Augusta Lynx will be holding a free youth clinic Wednesday from 3-5 p.m. at the Ice Sports Center on Augusta West Parkway. Children will get lessons on fundamentals of the game; free skates and ice time are included. For information, call 627-4363.
- A girls lacrosse under-19 team is being formed for Aiken, Richmond and Columbia counties for the spring season. No experience or equipment is required. A free clinic will be held every Saturday in Evans from 9 to 10:30 a.m. at the recreation field behind Kroger on North Belair Road. For more information, call 733-4271, 854-1908, or 855-1364.
- Boys under-19 lacrosse in Aiken, Columbia and Richmond counties is being offered for its established under-19 and Lakeside teams. Practice is being held Saturdays from 9 a.m. until noon at Evans recreation field behind Kroger on North Belair Road. Equipment is supplied for practice. For more information, call 733-4271, 854-1908, or 855-1364.
- The 14th annual Greater Augusta Sports Awards Gala is Jan. 10, at the Radisson Riverfront Hotel Augusta. The 2005 Ray Guy Award winner and annual G.A.M.E.S. Awards will be presented. Keynote speaker is former NFL running back Larry Csonka. Reservations must be made by Jan. 5. For information, call the Greater Augusta Sports Council at (706) 722-8326.
- The Emerald Sea Dive Club will meet Jan. 10 at 7 p.m. at the Sunrise Grill, next to Kmart on Washington Road. The training topic of the month will be Dive Computers. Certified divers and those interested in becoming certified divers are also invited to attend. For more information, call Doug at 863-2141.
- Tickets for the Augusta Futurity and the Bull Riding event, which will be held at Jan. 20, are on sale. Premium adult seats for Bull Riding cost $15 and $19; all other seats will be $14, with children 12 and under for $8. The Futurity will be held Jan. 19-28. For more information, go to www.augustafuturity.com.
- The Aiken County Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department host Yoga classes every Monday night at 6 p.m. at Harrison-Caver Park. Classes are held in the activity building and costs $32 per month or $10 per class. Beginners are welcome. For more information, call (803) 593-4698.
- The Putt-Putt Training Center will hold two Christmas camps over the holidays. For more information, call Coach Pete Meadows at 868-0084 or go to www.MyTrainingCenter.info.
- The Augusta Recreation and Parks Department is looking for volunteer coaches for 6- and 7-year-old players and cheerleading at Eisenhower Park and Fleming Complex. Volunteers must be at least 16 years old. Background check required. For more information, call 821-2800 or 821-2801.
- The Columbia County Patriots have a few openings for boys and girls ages 8-14 for select teams for the spring 2006 season. For more information, call (706)312-7488 or go to www.patriotssoccer.org.
- The 2006 Champion Sports Events Fast Pitch Softball Camp will be held Jan. 28 from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. at Diamond Lakes. Cost is $100 and iincludes lunch, T-shirt and one-on-one training. All age groups are invited to attend. For more information, call (706) 681-2360.
- The 14U Blast Fast Pitch team is looking for serious players for its 2005-06 team. For information, call Eddie Alexander at 796-8335 or Brad Howell at (803) 663-8895.
- The 14U Georgia Rockers girls fastpitch team is currently looking for one catcher and one other position player to fill out its roster for the 2006 season. For more information, call Tom Tracy at (706) 860-1917 or Darrell Hampson at (706) 868-8546.
- The 16 and under Augusta Flash Girls Fast-Pitch travel team will be playing A class ball in 2006 and are looking for experienced, dedicated players. An 18-under college exposure age group will be added for 2006 For information, call Jeff Towe at (706) 868-8485 or Casey Lemon at (706) 796-7026.
- A new area 18U fastpitch team will be having tryouts for all positions for the 2006 season. Girls ages 15-17 are invited to try out. For information, call David Collins at 951-3630.
- The CSRA Junior Tennis League will hold open registration Jan. 1-15. Register online at www.csratennis.com. Under "Juniors" and Registration," click player. A current USTA membership will be required. A USTA membership can be obtained from www.usta.com or by calling (800) 990-8782. The league fee is $20, and the TennisLink fee is $2. For information, call Michele Scott at (706) 855-7662, or email CSRA-JTL@hotmail.com.
- The Love Doubles League is a new, semi-competitive league based on individual round robin. Players draw a number before the match, and based on the number is assigned a partner, court and opponents. Players may end up playing with or against teammates. At the end of three rounds, the player with the most points wins. For more information, call Mary Sicard at (706) 737-6546 or (706) 306-0059.
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us