A 13-year-old pupil was found guilty by a Richmond County school tribunal after being found with a "very detailed" plan to build a "pen" bomb.
The plan was uncovered at Spirit Creek Middle School on Oct. 17, but results of the pupil's Oct. 27 tribunal hearing weren't made public until Wednesday.
"The detailed plan clearly depicted (the pupil) throwing the pen bomb under (a teacher's) feet while she was teaching," the tribunal report stated.
While pupils were going to the restroom, seventh-grade science teacher Nicole Gabor saw the pupil take a piece of paper out of his pocket, according to the report. Ms. Gabor was not the intended target.
She unfolded the paper and found a detailed plan for building a pen bomb.
The paper was titled "Operation pen bomb," school spokeswoman Mechelle Jordan said, adding that the paper included a diagram of how the bomb could be used.
She wouldn't comment on whether the threat was "credible," since the case will be appealed to the Richmond County Board of Education tonight.
The pupil was found guilty during the disciplinary tribunal of threatening to use a weapon or explosive, disrupting school and threatening to harm a teacher.
Mrs. Jordan said the pupil was turned over to the Richmond County Sheriff's Office for making terroristic threats. She couldn't confirm whether he was arrested.
He was found guilty and sent to the Alternative Center for the remainder of the school year. It was his fifth disciplinary referral. At the time of the tribunal, he had been absent for 10 days, all for suspension.
Neither the pupil nor his parent appeared during the hearing, according to the tribunal report.
According to county records, there have been four previous tribunals this school year in which pupils have been found guilty for threatening the use of a weapon against someone on school property. In all, there have been 19 tribunals investigating threats so far this school year.
Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us