Entertainment events and activities for this week include:
BLACK AND BLUE GAME: To raise money for the Salvation Army, Augusta Lynx squads will play a two-period, scrimmage hockey match at 6:30 p.m. at the Augusta-Richmond County Civic Center, 601 Seventh St. Parking and admission are free. Donations for the Salvation Army will be accepted at the main entrance on the Seventh Street side. Doors open at 6 p.m. For more information, call 724-4423.
HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH LECTURE: The last lecture in a series of four will be held at 6:30 p.m. at the Friedman Branch Library, 1447 Jackson Road. Carlos Barreras, the president of the Asociacion Cultural Hispanoamericana, will present his lecture From Flintlocks to Rockets: Hispanic Contributions to America. The event is free and open to everyone. For more information, call 738-7097.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY: The Augusta Archaeological Society will meet at the Lone Star Cafe and Steakhouse, 2744 Washington Road. Dinner will be at 6:30 p.m., the meeting at 8. The meeting is open to everyone. For more information, call 863-7964
A TASTE OF WINE AND ART: The sixth annual event will be held from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Aiken Center for the Arts, 122 Laurens St. S.W. One hundred wines, from 36 producers representing Italy, France, Chile, Australia and the United States, will be featured. The silent auction will include beach, mountain and lake vacations, gifts and art, several all-inclusive golf packages, and tickets to golf tournaments. Tickets cost $45. For more information, call (803) 641-9094.
Local Government Meetings
- Aiken County Board of Education: 7 p.m. today, district office, 1000 Brookhaven Drive, Aiken
- Columbia County Board of Education: 6 p.m. today, Evans Government Complex
- Columbia County Clean & Beautiful Commission: 6 p.m. Oct. 20, Evans Government Complex, Human Resources Conference Room, Building B
- Columbia County Greenspace Advisory Board: 8 a.m. Friday, Evans Government Complex Auditorium
- Edgefield County Planning Commission: 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Jeter Street
- Edgefield County School Board: 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, school district conference room, 3 Par Drive
- North Augusta City Council: 7 p.m. Monday, second-floor council chambers, Municipal Building, 400 E. Buena Vista Ave.
- Richmond County Board of Education: 6 p.m. Thursday, central office boardroom, 870 Broad St.
- Richmond County Coliseum Authority: 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, conference room, Administration Office, Civic Center
Back in time
Today in regional history:
OCT. 11, 1963
An 11-day-old baby boy moved through his first full day in a new home Thursday with a slight head cold, a new formula and a host of best of luck wishes.
The child, abandoned on the back seat of an automobile late Wednesday night, has been the object of hundreds of inquiries, Mrs. E.E. (Bee) Hamilton, probation officer of Juvenile Court, said.
The baby was taken from the back seat of a parked automobile by police. There were two notes in the automobile. One note, which has not been made public, set the child's age at 11 days.
The other said the baby was born in Florida. Obviously written by the mother, the note continued: "I'm sorry about this but I got no home and I want for him a nice family who can take care of him."
Here are average and high prices for a gallon of regular unleaded gasoline:
Athens $3.03 $3.18
Atlanta $3.05 $3.12
Augusta $2.91 $3.17
Savannah $2.81 $3.18
Charleston $2.94 $3.18
Columbia $2.96 $3.23
Myrtle Beach $2.97 $3.17
For fuel-saving tips, lsee: www.augustachronicle.com/energy.
© 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us