Originally created 05/20/05

Across Georgia

High school principal stops student paper

MARIETTA - This school year's final edition of a high school student newspaper was killed, and the journalism class was eliminated after the principal said the paper highlighted negative stories and a lack of thorough reporting.

Randolph Bynum, the principal of Pebblebrook High School in Cobb County, cut the class, citing a teacher shortage and the need to keep more popular courses, such as cosmetology.

He said the newspaper could continue next year as an extracurricular activity.

The newspaper staff said in an online blog this week that they believe the decision was made to censor student opinions.

Rapper is wanted after shooting death

DECATUR - A murder warrant has been issued for the rapper known as Gucci Mane in a May 10 shooting in which a man was found dead, an attorney said.

The 25-year-old rapper, whose real name is Radric Davis, was notified Wednesday that he was wanted by DeKalb County authorities for the shooting of Henry Clark, said his attorney, Dennis Scheib of Atlanta.

Mr. Davis was in New York on Thursday for a show. The attorney said the shooting was in self-defense and that Mr. Davis did not even know anyone was injured in the gunfight.

University pulls out of computer program

MARIETTA - The University of Georgia is no longer evaluating Cobb County schools' laptop program, citing questions about its objectivity that could undermine the computer initiative.

The university was Apple Computer's choice to evaluate the $70 million program, which eventually could give laptops to all teachers and to pupils in middle and high school.

Michael Hannafin, the director of the University of Georgia's Learning and Performance Support Laboratory, said in a May 10 letter to Superintendent Joe Redden that the group was dropping out of the review because the objectivity of the research lab had been questioned for several weeks.

Victim's evidence leads to guilty plea

ALBANY - A sexual assault victim provided authorities with DNA evidence against her attacker by biting off a piece of his finger and holding it in her mouth until she could contact police, officials said.

Faced with the evidence, Demetrius Clyde, 33, of Albany, pleaded guilty Wednesday to charges of false imprisonment, aggravated assault, criminal attempt to commit rape, aggravated sodomy, kidnapping and aggravated sexual battery stemming from the May 2003 attack.

Mr. Clyde was sentenced to 40 years in prison, Assistant District Attorney Kathy Fallin said.


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us