DETROIT - It's called Domino, the Shopping Magazine for your Home, and I can't put it down.
Full of cool household items and decorations and information on where to buy them and how to use them, it's inspired me to 1) consider wallpapering my closet; 2) paint my bookshelves; and 3) buy chartreuse vases because chartreuse is "nature's beige."
Domino says it's for women, though I think men will find it interesting, too, at least those who want to shop for their homes the same way they shop for their wardrobes - mixing and matching styles, designers, price points, new and vintage. It's published by Conde Nast, which also is responsible for the shopping magazine Lucky.
The first edition, which appeared on newsstands April 26, includes this Domino Manifesto:
1. Home should make you happy.
2. Swear by the 3Rs - repaint, repaper, reupholster.
3. Even the insides of closets and cabinets can be beautiful.
4. It's OK to not be finished.
5. Trust your instincts - always.
6. A chandelier is as timeless as a black dress.
7. Renters need not be second-class citizens.
8. Sometimes your mistakes become your greatest inspirations. (I'm not sure about this one. I'm still trying to get inspired to refinish my front door after peeling off most of the paint.)
9. Don't be afraid to mix styles - Louis XIV and Eero Saarinen should hang out more often.
10. When traveling, skip the snapshot and buy something unique for the coffee table. (I'm in total agreement. Last time I was in Washington, D.C., I blew off paintings in the National Gallery and headed straight for the gift shop.)
11. Have fun.
Domino will publish five issues this year - the next one is scheduled to appear Aug. 16 - and 10 issues in 2006. A subscription is $12 for 12 issues. The magazines also are sold individually, for $3.50 at book stores and magazine racks.
For more information on Domino or to subscribe: www.dominomag.com.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us