Two Glascock County Consolidated School students kept overnight at McDuffie Regional Medical Center Friday after eating a tainted chocolate chip cookie were released Saturday, according to hospital officials.
One of the students kept overnight, ninth-grader Kimberly Johnson, arrived home in Gibson on Saturday and was visiting with her boyfriend, said her father, Alan Johnson.
"She's home, she's doing OK," he said. "She seems to be doing fine."
She was one of the two students taken to the medical center by ambulance after complaining of nausea, stomach cramps, dizziness, blurry vision and a burning esophagus.
John Bankhead, a spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, said Saturday that no one had been arrested and wouldn't be until the substance that is thought to have made the students sick is identified.
On Friday, eight students, ranging in age from 14 to 17, became sick within 30 minutes of eating the cookie, he said.
The other six students were treated and released Friday. At least two of them were football players.
Glascock quarterback Coty Faglier said he ate a bite of the large cookie, but it didn't taste right.
Coty didn't exhibit any signs of illness after eating the cookie, but his mother took him to the hospital at the request of the school, said Dewayne Faglier, Coty's father.
"It happened so fast, nobody had any idea what it was," Mr. Faglier said. "Everybody got a little panicked. He's fine now."
Coty not only played Friday, but also spent Saturday at the Georgia Tech game, Mr. Faglier said.
Meanwhile, lab technologists at the GBI crime lab in Atlanta are still working to find out what substance in the cookie sickened the students. Glascock County Sheriff Bryan Bopp drove the remnants of the tainted sweets to Atlanta on Friday, and by Saturday, testing had eliminated certain substances, Mr. Bankhead said.
"It's not an obvious substance," he said.
GBI agents have questioned all the students who became ill, and authorities searched at least one locker at the high school Friday.
Freshman Jacob Howell said the locker belonged to a student who had taken some of the cookies from the student who brought them in.
Principal Sally Garrett said the student who brought the cookies to share is a good student who has not caused trouble at the school.
Reach Kate Lewis at (706) 823-3215 or email@example.com.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us