Originally created 09/10/04

Dolphins' home game against Titans moved up to Saturday



MIAMI - The Miami Dolphins' opening game against the Tennessee Titans will be played Saturday instead of Sunday because of Hurricane Ivan.

Ivan could reach southern Florida as soon as Sunday, forecasters said. The Dolphins and Titans had been scheduled to kick off at 1 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time that day.

"It's pretty wild," linebacker Junior Seau said Thursday. "Where I come from, we have earthquakes. It just happens. Here, you can monitor hurricanes for days and days and your life stops.

"With the weather we have, it can scare a lot of our fan support away and that's understandable."

The change was made to allow Miami residents and officials more time to prepare for Ivan, which has top sustained winds of 160 mph.

The sold-out game will be televised by CBS affiliates in Miami and Tennessee.

For the Dolphins, the scheduling change is the latest development in a preseason that included the retirement of running back Ricky Williams and concerns about Hurricane Frances.

The storm last week prompted talk of a player boycott when the Dolphins were forced to play an exhibition game in New Orleans against their wishes as the storm threatened Florida.

"We're bullet-proof at this point," coach Dave Wannstedt said. "There's nothing that anyone can do or say that will hurt us. Everyone knows what we've been through."

RAMS: St. Louis offensive tackle Orlando Pace broke a three-day silence on his contract holdout, saying a lighter playing weight would help him get back into playing shape in time for Sunday's opener.

Earlier this week Pace agreed to a one-year, $7.02 million contract as the team's franchise player, and he practiced for the first time Wednesday.

He reported at 325 pounds, almost 20 pounds below last year, and believes that will offset the fact he's got only four practices to get ready.

REDSKINS: In this presidential election season, there's a new T-shirt with the words "Run Clinton Run!" and "Eight more years!"

Not Bill Clinton. Clinton Portis.

The new Washington running back designed the shirt, which also includes a photo of Portis giving a victory sign and a mural of downtown monuments in the shape of Portis' jersey No. 26.

The eight years refers to his eight-year, $50.5 million contract, which he signed after the Redskins acquired him for cornerback Champ Bailey in an off-season trade with the Denver Broncos. The shirts were meant as a gift for the team's offensive linemen.

BENGALS: Cincinnati released offensive lineman Victor Leyva on and replaced him on the roster with offensive lineman Alex Sulfsted.