Originally created 06/17/04

Across Georgia

Police identify two bodies found in shed

GUM BRANCH - Two bodies found buried in a shed have been identified as a couple last seen in March.

Liberty County Chief Deputy Keith Moran identified the bodies Wednesday as Jewel Cleveland, 82, and Mildred Cleveland, 62. The couple had been shot to death, an autopsy showed.

Last week, the sheriff's department sent out a statement saying it was looking for information on the whereabouts of the couple and their son, Jason Howard, 35. Mr. Howard is being sought as a "material witness," Chief Deputy Moran said.

Shuttle bus crashes, injures five people

COLUMBUS - Several passengers on a shuttle bus from Columbus to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport were injured when it went into a ditch along Interstate 85 in Fulton County, officials said.

Union City Police Chief Mike Isome said five passengers and the driver were in the Columbus Shuttle van when it crashed at about 6:15 a.m. Tuesday.

Five of the six people were injured. Three were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital, where they were treated and released. Two others were kept in the hospital, and one of them is in critical condition, Chief Isome said.

More minorities will head to Georgia Tech

ATLANTA - The Georgia Institute of Technology hopes to have more female, Hispanic and black students this fall.

Georgia Tech expects to enroll 800 women for its 2004 freshman class, an increase of 200 from last year. Women will make up 31 percent of the total freshman class at the mostly male engineering school.

As of last week, 108 Hispanic students had indicated they planned to enroll, a 52 percent increase from last year and nearly double a decade ago.

Police arrest suspect in 3-year-old's death

UNION CITY - Authorities in south Fulton County have charged a man in the death of a 3-year-old boy he was baby-sitting for his girlfriend.

Glenford Wilkes, 32, was arrested Tuesday.

He is scheduled to appear in court today.

The child died after being hit in the stomach, police said.

Authorities say the child's mother returned from work Tuesday and found her son listless. She took him to a hospital, where he later died.


Trending this week:


© 2017. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us