DENVER - The judge in the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case rejected arguments Thursday by the NBA star's attorneys that the state's rape-shield law is unconstitutional.
The rape-shield law, which has withstood other challenges since it was enacted in the mid-1970s, generally bars defense attorneys from using information about the sexual history of alleged assault victims.
State District Judge Terry Ruckriegle said Bryant's sexual history will not be brought up in court, making that argument irrelevant.
He also noted that numerous witnesses have testified behind closed doors about the consensual sexual activities of the alleged victim before her encounter with Bryant last summer, ensuring the defense a chance to introduce that information as evidence.
Bryant, 25, has pleaded not guilty to felony sexual assault. He has said he had consensual sex with a 19-year-old employee of the Vail-area resort where he stayed last June.
If convicted, he faces four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine of up to $750,000.
MELO MAD: Alert Oliver Stone. Carmelo Anthony smells a conspiracy.
Resigned to receiving an Olympics snub, the Denver Nuggets star forward suggested this week that he is not yet a member of the NBA aristocracy.
"They've got their mind set on what they want," Anthony said of the USA Basketball selection committee. "Don't nothing include Carmelo. Nothing in the NBA includes me. You realize that?"
Asked what other NBA-related events he had been omitted from, Anthony said: "Everything."
Anthony, who led all rookies in scoring in 2003-04, finished second to Cleveland Cavaliers guard LeBron James in Rookie of the Year voting.
As is his nature, Anthony smiled and shrugged off his anticipated absence from the Olympics.
"I could wait four years for the next one," he said. "Hopefully, I'll be globally known in four years."