John R. Scherer Jr.
Chosen by the Irish-American Heritage Society to be the grand marshal of Augusta's St. Patrick's Day Parade. An Augusta native, Mr. Scherer and his wife, the former Cindy Mulherin, have four children: Jason, Kateri, Kristen and Tony.
1. Have you practiced your parade wave?
"No, but I've thought about it."
2. If you found a leprechaun's pot of gold, how would you spend it?
"That shouldn't be such a tough question. I would pay off all my bills, make sure my family's needs were taken care of and then find something in the city or church that needed help."
3. What does the grand marshal do?
"I hate to say it's mostly ceremonial, but it's mostly ceremonial."
4. Do you get to keep the sash?
"No, it transfers year to year."
5. Who do you think will have the better parade this year? Savannah or Augusta?
"It depends on how you define better. St. Patrick's Day is to Savannah as Mardi Gras is to New Orleans. I like ours because it's centered around the Irish-American community. We don't mind visitors, but the celebration is much more in keeping with what St. Patrick's Day is about."
© 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us