Originally created 01/17/04

Across South Carolina

Man gets 15 years for drunken driving crash

COLUMBIA - An Easley man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison after pleading guilty to drunken driving in an accident that killed three people, the state attorney general said Friday.

Travis Eades, 25, was sentenced Monday after pleading guilty to three counts of felony driving under the influence in the March 2000 accident that killed Crista Cuzzourt, 15, and her 40-year-old mother, Jacqueline Cozzett Cuzzourt. Adam Cox, 14, died the next day as a result of injuries he suffered in the accident.

Foul play is ruled out after fire at church

ROCK HILL - A preliminary investigation suggests no foul play in a fire that destroyed a church and caused $1.5 million in damage, authorities said.

Investigators have determined the fire at Freedom Temple Ministries likely started in the attic, but they do not know how it started, officials said.

The church was destroyed Sunday in a blaze fought by about 60 firefighters. The church had undergone some renovations, and its 2,000 members moved into the sanctuary in October.

Town limit signs bring money to Harleyville

HARLEYVILLE - The town limit signs that were once stolen annually, presumably by fans of Harley-Davidson motorcycles, are now being sold - and making the town some money.

The town began selling the green-and-white signs six months ago, and more than 700 have been bought for $20 each, netting the town $5,600 after suppliers' costs were paid. It costs an additional $5 for shipping.

Officials said the town is considering marketing the signs on the Internet or at biker rallies. All profits are being banked for development of the town's community park.

Prisoner overpowers corrections officer

COLUMBIA - Two corrections officers were taken to a hospital Thursday after a prisoner overpowered an officer, took his keys and let other inmates out of their cells, officials said.

An officer bringing a meal to an inmate was overpowered in his cell, and another officer was assaulted, officials said.

After an unknown number of inmates were released from their cell, a fire was started, but it was put out by the sprinkler system. The building was flooded, but prisoners were to remain there on lock-down.


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us