WHO'S HOT - Augusta State women's frontcourt. The Lady Jaguars are out-rebounding opponents by a seven-board margin (48-41). The forward tandem of Shundra Johnson (9.7 boards a game), Cheryl Audain (8.3) and Latoya Renwrick (7.3) are grabbing more than 25 rebounds per contest.
WHO'S NOT - Columbus State's women. The Lady Cougars fell to 1-2 after suffering a 69-54 road loss to Clark Atlanta.
STAT OF THE WEEK After enduring a winless 2002-03 campaign, the UNC Pembroke men knocked off The Apprentice School, 69-68, on Nov. 22. Raise your hand if you've ever heard of the Braves' opponent - a Newport News, Va., team, which plays in the United States Collegiate Athletic Association.
RANKING THE MEN'S TEAMS
1. Augusta State (2-1, 0-0 PBC). The Jaguars should be fresh after a 10-day break.
2. Aiken Tech (5-1, 1-0 CJCC). If the Knights continue to get steady play from forward Kenny Thompson and guard Mario Williams, they will be tough to beat.
3. Paine (0-3, 0-0 SIAC). The Lions travel to Armstrong Atlantic State on Tuesday before opening conference play against Kentucky State at home Thursday.
4. USC Aiken (0-2, 0-0 PBC). Curt Triplin and Minda Statkus are shooting a combined 56 percent; the rest of the team - 30 percent.
RANKING THE WOMEN'S TEAMS
1. USC Aiken (2-1, 0-0 PBC). Lady Pacers impressive in near-comeback loss to Division I-AA Georgia Southern last Saturday.
2. Augusta State (2-1, 0-0 PBC). Lady Jaguars holding opponents to 17 percent shooting beyond the arc.
3. Paine (0-0, 0-0 SIAC). Lady Lions have 10 underclassmen on their roster.
GAME OF THE WEEK - Kentucky State at Paine, Thursday, 5:30 (women) and 7:30 (men). Paine will hold its conference opener. The men are still seeking their first home victory this season, while the women will be playing their first home game.
THEY SAID IT
"I would like to take two defensive plays or two turnovers away, we could have a winning record. We have been trying to get better and learning to play together and defend a little bit better," Lander coach Chipper Bagwell said in Friday's The Greenwood Index-Journal. The Bearcats are 1-3.
- Chris Gay
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us