Originally created 09/15/03

Across South Carolina

Lawmaker proposes law for abuse victims

GREENVILLE -A state lawmaker says the process of letting domestic abuse suspects out of jail needs to be retooled to better protect victims.

Rep. Gloria Haskins, R-Greenville, came up with the proposal she is calling "Maranda's Law."

Maranda Williams, 24, was killed by shotgun blasts to the back Sept. 3 as she worked in a Bi-Lo grocery store. Her ex-boyfriend, Charles Christopher Williams, was charged with murder and is being held at the Greenville County Law Enforcement Center.

Mr. Williams had been arrested and charged with assault and battery with intent to kill after Ms. Williams was beaten in the head until she was unconscious in the parking lot of the same store where she was slain. He was released within hours, after Greenville County Magistrate Shirley B. Keaton set bond at $45,000.

20-year-old is killed outside his home

CHARLESTON -A 20-year-old man died of a gunshot wound to his stomach in his back yard near North Charleston, authorities say.

Thomas Evans died on the scene Saturday, Charleston County Deputy Coroner Rae Wooten said.

The shooting happened at about 5:50 p.m. at the man's house, according to Charleston sheriff's spokeswoman Capt. Dana Valentine.

A neighbor said she heard a gunshot and left her home in time to see two men leaving in a vehicle, but investigators would not let her continue speaking to reporters.

Deputies have no suspects, Sheriff Al Cannon said.

Fishermen find body of drowning victim

COLUMBIA -The body of a Lexington man who drowned in Lake Murray on Labor Day has been found, authorities say.

Mike Jones, 37, had been missing since he jumped into the lake to get his daughter and his girlfriend's daughter to safety.

The girls had been tubing, but a thunderstorm created rough waves and high winds, making it difficult for them to get off the inner tube and onto the boat. As the girls panicked, Mr. Jones jumped into the water and got them to safety.

Fishermen spotted Mr. Jones' body in the water about a mile from Lake Murray Dam at about 7:15 a.m. Saturday, Department of Natural Resources spokesman Robert McCullough said. Mr. Jones was not wearing a life jacket, Mr. McCullough said.


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us