Originally created 08/26/03

Probation violation charge against Canseco dropped



MIAMI -- Jose Canseco will be allowed to leave jail after prosecutors dropped charges Monday that the former baseball star violated his probation by taking steroids.

Assistant State Attorney Kathleen Hoague said the state could not determine if Canseco took steroids while on probation because of conflicting testimony on when he allegedly took the muscle-enhancing drugs.

Canseco, 39, had denied any drug use while on probation. He could have faced up to 15 years in state prison. His father, Jose Canseco Sr., criticized prosecutors for keeping his son in jail for nearly three months.

"That was unfair, unjust. That was uncalled for," he said.

The 1988 American League MVP had been on probation since November for a 2001 Miami Beach nightclub scuffle with two tourists.

Canseco has been in jail since June 3, when probation officials said he tested positive for steroids while on house arrest for violating probation with an unauthorized trip to California. He will be allowed to leave jail Monday night and continue serving the terms of the house arrest.