Originally created 02/23/03

Across South Carolina

Malnourished child is placed in foster care

GEORGETOWN -A 2-year-old boy who was admitted to a Georgetown hospital weighing 13 pounds has been placed in foster care.

Georgetown police will decide whether to file charges after the Department of Social Services completes an investigation, Maj. Johnnie Deas said. The child will remain in foster care for the next 35 days, until a hearing is held in family court.

An agency caseworker told police last week that the child had been admitted to the hospital at least five times in the past two years for being dangerously underweight.

The toddler's father said he could not afford the diet that the doctor prescribed for the child, police said. The boy's mother has two other children living in the home and is expecting another child, police said.

Attorney is suspended after assault charges

GREENVILLE -The South Carolina Supreme Court has suspended a Greenville attorney who is charged with drugging and sexually assaulting two women.

William T. Dunn Jr., 61, was arrested and charged with two counts of kidnapping and criminal sexual conduct in the first degree, police said.

Mr. Dunn and Linda Kay Franklin, 41, who faces similar charges in the case, are out on $100,000 bail.

The Supreme Court has placed Mr. Dunn on interim suspension.

Mr. Dunn and Ms. Franklin forced the women to ingest controlled substances and held them against their will overnight in separate incidents, police said. Both Mr. Dunn and Ms. Franklin engaged in repeated sexual acts with the victims, police said.

Investigation clears officers in shooting

CAYCE -Two Cayce officers who shot and killed a man last month fired in self-defense, prosecutors say.

Videotape taken from a police cruiser and witness statements show that Norris Lorenzo Lee, 33, of Cayce, fired at Sgt. Doug Curry and Officer Joseph Hart several times before Mr. Lee was shot Jan. 26, assistant prosecutor Tav Swarat said.

The officers have been cleared of any wrongdoing, he said.

The videotape shows Mr. Lee firing shots at the officers after they stopped him for driving a stolen vehicle, Mr. Swarat said.

Deputy Lexington County Coroner Tommy Jaco said Mr. Lee bled to death after being shot twice.


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us