BACK IN TIME
Nov. 28, 1932
The central body of the Cracker political organization will meet at the courthouse tonight to settle the matter of endorsements for municipal offices.
Because of the large number of candidates from the Cracker ranks, it is generally stated that the central body will not endorse candidates this election; also for the reason that many leaders have promised their support to various candidates.
(For a look at history through the pages of The Augusta Chronicle, subscribe to augustaarchives.com.)
Activities and entertainment events scheduled for this week include:
WINTER CONCERT: A winter concert will be at 7:30 p.m. at the Gilbert-Lambuth Memorial Chapel, Paine College, Druid Park Avenue. The concert will feature the Paine College Concert Choir. The event is free. For more information, call 821-8323.
THANKSGIVING DINNER: The South Aiken Presbyterian Church will have a Thanksgiving dinner from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 1711 Whiskey Road. The dinner is free and is open to the public. For more information, call (803) 663-1872.
THANKSGIVING DINNER TO FEED/CLOTHE NEEDY: There will be a Thanksgiving dinner to feed the needy at 11 a.m. at Lucy C. Laney High School cafeteria, 1339 Laney Walker Blvd. Clothes also will be given away. The dinner is free and is sponsored by the United Community Society, Inc. For more information, call 737-7360.
GEORGIA VS. GEORGIA TECH FOOTBALL DRIVE: Show your football spirit as Shepeard Community Blood Center celebrates the Georgia vs. Georgia Tech football game from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 1533 Wrightsboro Road. There will be food and every hour Georgia and Georgia Tech spirit items will be given away to a lucky donor and the new Shepeard Holiday T-shirts will be given to everyone who donates. For more information, call Cyndi Reeves, 737-4551.
CAN-A-PALOOZA III: Can-a-palooza benefits the Golden Harvest Food Bank. Radio personalities from 95 ROCK will camp out for 95 consecutive hours to collect non-perishable food items outside of Great Clips, Agerton Lane in Augusta Exchange. Donors will be eligible to win autographed guitars from Rob Zombie, 3 Doors Down and Rush. For more information, call Chuck Williams, 855-9494.
COLD WEATHER TIPS
- Lower your thermostat at night or whenever the house is unoccupied for more than a few hours. Close off unoccupied rooms and close heating vents.
- Use the sunlight to warm rooms. Close drapes and blinds at night to retain heat.
- Wear more layers of clothing and warmer, insulated clothing while indoors.
- Put extra blankets or a down comforter on the bed.
- Learn more about your home's energy usage by completing an easy, free energy audit offered on Atlanta Gas Light Company's web site at www.AtlantaGasLight.com.
Additional resources for consumer information related to energy usage:
- National Association of Home Builders: www.nahbrc.org
- U.S. Department of Energy: www.eren.doe.gov
- Georgia Environmental Facility Authority: www.gefa.org
- Residential Energy Services Network: www.natresnet.org
SAUERKRAUT FUN FACTS
Three-fourths of Americans say they've tried sauerkraut in their lifetime, but a whopping two of three Americans eat it on a regular basis. Men and women like it about the same.
Source: Great Lakes Kraut Co.
WE LIKE RICE
The average American eats about 25 pounds of rice a year. Still, consumption in Japan is 137 pounds per person. In China it's 198 pounds. And in Thailand it's 266 pounds. There's a lot of rice.
Source: Riceland Foods
1. Roman Catholic 62,035,042
2. Southern Baptist Convention 19,881,467
3. United Methodist Church 10,350,629
4. Jewish (estimate) 6,141,325
5. Evangelical Lutheran Church in America 5,113,418
6. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 4,224,026
7. Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) 3,141,566
8. Assemblies of God 2,561,998
9. Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod 2,521,062
10. Episcopal Church 2,314,756
11. American Baptist Churches in the USA 1,767,462
12. United Church of Christ 1,698,918
13. Churches of Christ 1,645,584
14. Muslim (estimate) 1,559,294
15. Christian Churches and Churches of Christ 1,439,253
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us