AIKEN - The owner of The Carpet Shop, the site of an electrical fire Sunday that left the store gutted and still smoldering Monday, says she will rebuild the Whiskey Road business.
"Aiken is a great city. We definitely will," owner Donna Farr said.
Ms. Farr said the company, which has two sister stores in Augusta, is looking for a temporary home in Aiken.
She said customers of the Aiken store should call the Augusta store at 3114 Wrightsboro Road to receive orders.
The fire started about 5:30 p.m. Sunday after a power surge from an unknown origin sent electricity into the store, said Sgt. David Turno of the Aiken Department of Public Safety.
Sunday's storm - the remnants of Tropical Storm Hanna - swept through the area with heavy rains and lightning, and that could have caused the surge, Sgt. Turno said.
According to witnesses at the scene, a power line had snapped in front of Dunagan's Sewing and Vacuum next door.
That store was damaged slightly by water from firefighters, who sprayed down Dunagan's to keep the fire from spreading.
While four firefighters were inside the store, the roof caved in over them, but they escaped injury.
"We're so thankful that no one was hurt," Ms. Farr said.
Reach Matthew Boedy at (803) 648-1395 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us