Originally created 07/24/02

Across South Carolina

Trooper's suit against deputy goes to high court

COLUMBIA -Allowing law enforcement officers to sue one another could discourage cooperation and put officers' lives in jeopardy, an attorney argued Tuesday before the state Supreme Court.

Alexia Pittas-Giroux defended the Charleston County Sheriff's Department in a 1998 case involving a former state highway patrolman who was injured in a collision with a sheriff's deputy.

On Oct. 16, 1998, Trooper Tracy O. Trousdell tried to stop a speeding car, and a chase ensued. Other departments joined the chase, and Trooper Trousdell was rear-ended by Deputy Wil liam J. Collins' car.

Trooper Trousdell suffered three herniated disks and hasn't worked since the accident, said his attorney Johnny Driggers. He is permanently disabled and on Social Security, Mr. Driggers said.

Another of Trooper Trousdell's lawyers, Daryl Hawkins, said the ex-trooper should be able to seek damages because Deputy Collins was negligent.

Stealing from client gets lawyer 7 years

BEAUFORT -A judge has sentenced a Hilton Head Island lawyer to seven years in prison and ordered him to pay back the nearly $700,000 he stole from a client.

Michael Wyman, who pleaded guilty, admitted he took the money to pay off a mortgage for Carmine Romano and spent it all on sports collectibles. "Baseball cards, things like that," he said.

Lightning-felled tree kills passing cyclist

CLOVER -A bicyclist was killed when a tree struck by lightning fell on him, York County Coroner Doug McKown says.

Carl Andersen was riding with a group of bicyclists about 6:30 p.m. Monday when the accident happened, Mr. McKown said.

"It was totally unavoidable," Mr. McKown said. "It was one in a billion that in the middle of nowhere, lightning would strike one tree and it hit a man going by."

Former chief deputy admits bank robberies

COLUMBIA -A former chief deputy in Richland and Anderson counties will spend at least seven years in prison after admitting he robbed four banks around Columbia.

Mike Temple, 51, agreed to plead guilty last week in federal court. A sentencing hearing has not been scheduled.

Mr. Temple left a typewritten note in his car confessing to the robberies. The note also had a list of people to contact in case Mr. Temple died in a holdup, assistant U.S. Attorney Stacey Haynes said.


Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved.    | Contact Us