Authorities recover tanks of toxic gas
GREENVILLE -Three tanks of dangerous gas stolen in Greenville two weeks ago have been recovered in Anderson County.
An officer from the state Natural Resources Department was on litter patrol when he found the tanks of hydrogen fluoride Thursday, authorities said.
The tanks were returned to National Welders Supply Co., and none of the 150-pound tanks had leaked, Thompson said.
Hydrogen fluoride is a colorless gas used in manufacturing processes, Thompson said.
Earlier this month, someone cut a hole in the company's fence to get the tanks, which officials think may have been mistaken for nitrous oxide, "laughing gas."
Grandson sentenced over elderly neglect
CHARLESTON -A North Charleston man has been sentenced to three years in prison for neglecting his grandmother, who was hospitalized before her death with gaping bedsores.
During his guilty plea Thursday, Carlyle Gainey, 32, said he loved his grandmother, but was in over his head when he became her primary caretaker.
Mr. Gainey had been taking care of Thelma Cook, 73, after she suffered a series of strokes two years ago, officials said.
In March, Ms. Cook was admitted to the hospital with bedsores that ran to the bone. She died about three weeks later, and an autopsy determined the cause of death to be neglect.
Friend convicted in bodybuilder's death
COLUMBIA -Jurors deliberated for about two hours before convicting a man of murdering his bodybuilder friend last year.
A judge then sentenced Eric Rife, 22, to 40 years in prison.
Mr. Rife said he shot Ian Williams, 26, three times in self-defense in June 2001 after Mr. Williams tackled him on a couch in a Richland County apartment.
Police charge couple in boy's fatal beating
GREER -A mother and her boyfriend have been charged with killing a 2-year-old boy who had been beaten on his back, face and head, authorities say.
Mark Anthony Martucci, 32, and Brandi Lynn Holder, 21, signed statements admitting they caused the injuries that killed the child, according to arrest warrants.
Bobby Pressley "Bo" Holder died after Mr. Martucci and his roommate took the boy to the hospital, Greenville County Sheriff's Office spokesman Sgt. James McCann said. Doctors notified police.